No Longer 'something Special' In The Air

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"The whole mystique of travel is not there anymore," said US Airways flier Jim Johnston, of Princeton, W.Va. "It is not much above a glorified bus trip anymore. You used to feel special, even in coach, and now it's 'We will get you there, and that's it.' "

Of course it's not much above a glorified bus trip anymore. You're paying bus fares; you get a bus trip. What part is surprising?

nycbusdriver said:
Of course it's not much above a glorified bus trip anymore. You're paying bus fares; you get a bus trip. What part is surprising?

That's not totally true. Many people I know have described flying JetBlue as being a special experience....because of the top notch service and the IFE. JetBlue delivers this high level of service while offering low fares. So clearly, it can be done. Of course, I'm not totally sure JB's business model will hold up for the long-haul, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

DLFlyer31 said:
That's not totally true. Many people I know have described flying JetBlue as being a special experience....because of the top notch service and the IFE. JetBlue delivers this high level of service while offering low fares. So clearly, it can be done. Of course, I'm not totally sure JB's business model will hold up for the long-haul, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.
[post="261588"][/post]​

JetBlue's business model?? Not hold up over the long haul?

Lets see.. What did they use as the model? Hmmm.. Southwest. 32 out of 33 years of sustained profit. Hmmmm.. Thats a pretty good model to follow.

So what does the JetBlue Experience get you.

Its pretty simple. Low Fares, Prompt Service and decent service, Clean Planes, Friendly people, a good IFE offering. (Free unless you want to watch a canned movie) Point to point service, Assigned Seating..

What does all of that tell you? They have a model that does work. Add to that the fact that Southwest is looking at IFE.. SOUTHWEST!!! Southwest is also looking at what JetBlue is going to do with E190.. These are facts that are not in dispute. Facts people. The old ways are overe with.

US, UAL, AMR, DL, NWA, CO.. If they want to make money like Southwest and JetBlue then they need to act like them. Simple as that.

Neither JetBlue or Southwest are perfect. But they know how to play the game in the new airline world..

Latest posts

Back