Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Clock is ticking on Pittsburgh, Siegel says
US Airways CEO vows to cut own pay

Thursday, March 25, 2004
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Article

Jim

Its nice to know the various employee groups are not the only ones who are being threatened and strong-armed!!! Hope after all this he never has to go to any state or government agency for a favor...........I think the bridges have done collasped into the river!!!!!!

Siegel's $4.5 million that he is forfieting is moot because he was not planning to leave IMO, anyway.

However, to take his salary down to JetBlue's CEO of $200,000 all the way out to at least 2009 or permanent like he expects from his labor force is a damn good start. All the execs must do this as well. Don't believe he said how long he would take his salary down to those levels. But, it should be permanent.

They whould receive increases if we profit...AND WE ALL SHOULD SEE INCREASES IN THIS SAME VEIN.

I just have a question about PIT...Why did U make PIT MAA's firt base if we are possibly gonna pull out of there? Is it gonna be for express only or something? I do not see why they did not pick philly for a base. Anyone?

xoxo said:
I just have a question about PIT...Why did U make PIT MAA's firt base if we are possibly gonna pull out of there? Is it gonna be for express only or something? I do not see why they did not pick philly for a base. Anyone?
Honestly,

I think MAA being based in PIT , was more of a ploy to lure Allegheny County into playing along with U. MAA is more of a dangling carrot for the local officials as well as some of the displaced employee's there. However , I fear the carrot has dangled until it rotted.

The other issue was ready access to what is known as Hangar 7 and the small associated office area that is attached to it. They had to base out of somewhere...so that was readily available.

With the county officials backing away from U's requests at present....one can only conclude that the MAA operation in PIT that would mirror to a degree what DL is doing in CVG is begining to slip away. The Simulators coming to CLT is but one of the things that U has the leverage to pull in PIT.

If you watched the Webcast and can recall the questin about Pit Base. Dave was very elusive as to its future. He initmated that "they" are still considering their options about the Pit Base. It is not going to be good, I don't believe. :(

It matters not--US lacks:

1. The capital to move to another midwestern hub.
2. The capital to open another hub, period.
3. Constrained airspace at it's other hub in the northeast.
4. A revenue premium in PHL in 2 or 3 months, whereas they still maintain the "fortress hub" type fares at PIT.

PIT (county/state) lacks the money to be gambling on a loser like Siegel.

Clue,

I agree with all your points and will add one...

Want to reduce the "cost" of PIT - build it back up. There are many that say PIT doesn't have the O&D to be a hub, but name another city in our "core" market that is better in O&D and has the airport to handle a hub operation - there is none.

Jim

ACAA has a Request for Proposals in the March 22 issue of Aviation Week seeking "systems maintenance and operations" capability statements.

This sounds as if ACAA is contracting out the baggage system UAIR abandoned. Whether this cost gets added to the landing fee rates, who knows? It won't be reflected until next year anyway - which suits Siegel fine, I expect.