No More Overage Leaves This Year

AAStew

Veteran
Feb 24, 2003
This will certainly be good news to some of you. AA flight service issued a statement (HI6) today that no overage leaves will be offered (as far as they can tell) this year. They said that currently all flight attendants are needed for manning. I can only imagine some will finally quit as they are not able to take leave anymore. But then again we were expecting quite a few to quit after the 777 payout. Either ways, best of luck to all of you on furlough and hope to see you on the line soon! :up:

This is very good news.

However the current Vegas over/under on when this thread will turn negative is 12 hours. Happy betting. ;)

mjk said:
This is very good news.

However the current Vegas over/under on when this thread will turn negative is 12 hours. Happy betting. ;)
[post="247957"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry to break your "bubble", mjk,

But THIS IS great news for some great Union People!! :up: :up: :up:

NH/BB's

FYI, for those who are interested we are obviously really short on the domestic side here in NY. At of the end of tomorrow, I will have 56 hours on reserve, and I am good until the end of the month. I just replaced a lady today on the turn I did who had over 62 hours ( NO LIE )...,and she also is good to the company at the end of the month. Correct me if I am wrong ,but isn't today the 15th? Hmmmm I hear RECALL coming soon!

What Unity?

It is the same at JFK except that they open option II up as they are short reserves, (well at least last month this was the case). I am bidding open replacement nextmonth as I know I will max out by the 17th. I really really want them to recall. It only helps all of us.

L1011,
Yes, that is what this thread is about. They are returning and are not being offered additional leaves. The company says they do not forsee offering any more overage leaves this year.
This can only be good for those on furlough as shortages will have to be filled from that group. I can only hope that some of these forced to return from leave will eventually resign, but as we know from the 777 payout, most AA f/a's die on the job as opposed to retiring.
We have a f/a at JFK who has apparently suffered a stroke but is still flying though she doesn't seem to move or speak very well. I feel bad for her suffering but she cannot perform the job, those of you at JFK know whom I refer to. Rigamortis (sp)? will have to set in or a captain will have to step in before she leaves. I hate to be so crass but it is disheartening at times

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry to break your "bubble", mjk,

But THIS IS great news for some great Union People!! :up: :up: :up:

NH/BB's
[post="248030"][/post]​

I never said it wasn't. However, you know as well as I that some people on this board will take any positive news and somehow bend and twist it into a negative.

There is no 'bubble' to break.

I'd like as many people to come back to work as quickly as possible, regardless of their 'union', 'non-union', or 'management' classification.

AAStew said:
L1011,
Yes, that is what this thread is about. They are returning and are not being offered additional leaves. The company says they do not forsee offering any more overage leaves this year.
This can only be good for those on furlough as shortages will have to be filled from that group. I can only hope that some of these forced to return from leave will eventually resign, but as we know from the 777 payout, most AA f/a's die on the job as opposed to retiring.
We have a f/a at JFK who has apparently suffered a stroke but is still flying though she doesn't seem to move or speak very well. I feel bad for her suffering but she cannot perform the job, those of you at JFK know whom I refer to. Rigamortis (sp)? will have to set in or a captain will have to step in before she leaves. I hate to be so crass but it is disheartening at times
[post="248145"][/post]​

Isn't there a safety test that she has to pass once a year?

nyc6035 said:
Isn't there a safety test that she has to pass once a year?
[post="248214"][/post]​

Yes at EPT's, we are hoping they catch it there also. She is 68 or 69 years old and with this has troubles with the left side of her body.

A few years back, I remember hearing how Dovie Teal, the 2nd most senior f/a at American at the time with 50+ yrs, had to be removed from a flight by the Capt because she was so weak and couldn't perform the duties of the job. She retired shortly thereafter (I heard she was forced to retire) but those who worked with her constantly complained about how she couldn't push the beverage cart and was literally dragged when she was trying to help bring it up the aisle. That doesn't conjure up a good image in passengers' minds seeing a 70 something yr old woman stumbling behind a cart let alone whether she would be effective at opening a door in an emergency evacuation. :unsure:

Tim

Tim, I hope that story is something you witnessed and can swear to, and not just some galley gossip you heard. There are libel laws, particularly since you named the flight attendant who is still living.

jimntx said:
Tim, I hope that story is something you witnessed and can swear to, and not just some galley gossip you heard. There are libel laws, particularly since you named the flight attendant who is still living.
[post="248660"][/post]​

Jim, if it comes down to brass tacks, I can supply the necessary info. If you're truly worried that I'm treading on thin ice b/c I named names, I would think that a private message would have sufficed. In any case, thanks for the heads up.

Tim

Latest posts