Nonstop from PHX to LGA on Jan. 15th

Hi Intern -

Learn the differences between FAR 135, FAR 121, and FAR 91.

135 has NO BEARING on what USAirways does. Ever. USAirways holds an FAR 121 certificate, not a 135.

Since the aircraft probably had no revenue on board, it could have been dispatched under FAR 91 (more lenient,) but its doubtful. For a company that does Part 121 day in and day out, its just as easy to send it under those rules.
You're right...135 is Scheduled Charter while 121 is Major/National...I posted this at 3am where I wasn't even half awake.

You're right...135 is Scheduled Charter while 121 is Major/National...I posted this at 3am where I wasn't even half awake.
Well, still not quite there.....the main difference between 135 and 121 is that 135 is "on-demand" and 121 is "scheduled". There's more to it than just that simplistic differentiation but it's too early for me and my brain wants to stay half asleep.

jm...

You're correct. Except on Saturdays! I just spoke with a friend who worked for ATA and the Perimiter Rules were not in effect on Saturday (weird!). She said that ATA did operate a once-a-week nonstop transcon from LaGuardia on Saturdays only. Because the flight operated only once a week, on a day when demand was low, the route was very short-lived.

Could this be correct?
Very likely, it's hard to get enough of a following to make this an ongoing flight, especially when business traffic on the weekends is very minimal. Several airlines have tried beyond perimeter flights on the weekends.

Currently on the Saturday schedules are an AA LGA-EGE flight with a 757 and DL has a LGA-HDN flight, also with a 757.

Some past flights beyond perimeter flights I can think of: TZ also ran a LGA-SFO flight, in addition to LAX. I believe DL also tried LGA-LAX. US also ran LGA-AUA flights a year or so ago.

Outside of the ski season/Caribbean flights, the only other flight that could do well, with loads on the weekends would be something to LAS. I'm sure the yields would be pretty bad though.

AA's specs for the DC-10 required that it be able to use LGA and DL has used 767s extensively at LGA. Apparently they're long enough. 757s could easily use LGA for transcons.

Actually even if not under 121 an airliner can not be operated under part 135. A charter operator would have to operate under part 125. (Less than 20 seats part 135, more than 20 part 125)

Latest posts

Back