NORTHWEST AIRLINES: Next battle at Northwest: Outsourcing (Grand Forks Herald)

What will it be like to work for the new Northwest Airlines, now under construction in bankruptcy? About a quarter of the Eagan, Minn.-based carrier's current employees may never know.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/searc...ws/13214695.htm
It will catch-up with them very soon, when folks will go to other airlines. I am not surprised that the FAA/Government allows this, but when a "outsourced attendant" or mechanic hi-jacks, or puts a bomb in the plane they may wake -up . At the rate this going no one in the USA will have a job. No Working Americans

When I call a business and a foreigner answers the phone and I have to struggle to understand them, I simply hang up. Sometimes when I'm really irritated about it I let them know how bad their English skills really suck. I also hang-up when a computer answers the phone. If a company wants to out source that is fine, it is their decision but they need to keep it in the states.

I guess NH/BB is right, I am a racist. It looks as if most of you are too.

When I call a business and a foreigner answers the phone and I have to struggle to understand them, I simply hang up. Sometimes when I'm really irritated about it I let them know how bad their English skills really suck. I also hang-up when a computer answers the phone. If a company wants to out source that is fine, it is their decision but they need to keep it in the states.

I guess NH/BB is right, I am a racist. It looks as if most of you are too.

So SCAB, you say they need to keep it in the states, yet you cross a picketline so that a company can set a precedent and outsource more jobs to foreign countries?

And I personally disagreed with NH/BB's racist comment (but that's about the only thing I've disagreed with him on). But now most of the people here are racists because one other person made a racist comment?

I honestly think that the FAA will bring a halt to foreign out sourcing. It might take a few years but they would be absolute fools not to. They are here to regulate the safety of the industry. What good are they if they can't perform their duties? It is obvious that they have no control as to what goes on overseas. Then again what is to keep the entire industry from going overseas? Is the airline industry trying to follow the footsteps of the Merchant Marine? Will all of our airlines be foreign flagged ships? I would hope the FAA has the foresight to put a quick end to foreign outsourcing.

That's a pretty ingorant statement wouldbefa. Do you even know what it takes to get an airport id nowadays?

That's a pretty ingorant statement wouldbefa. Do you even know what it takes to get an airport id nowadays?
yea the Industry is in safe hands now <_< little old ladies are searched and have their finger nail clippers confiscated, yet millions of packages are transported via the sky daily without a second glance!

yea the Industry is in safe hands now <_< little old ladies are searched and have their finger nail clippers confiscated, yet millions of packages are transported via the sky daily without a second glance!

I must agree with you on that one local 12. The security here is a joke. They have gone overboard with what they think you shouldn't take on an aircraft. If someone wants to get a weapon on an aircraft they will 9/11 has proven that. Security didn't stop it then and its not going to stop it in any future event. It is a waste of time and money, plus the harassment of the innocent is absurd. Have you ever seen the collection of goodies they take from people? Scissors, nail clippers, hair picks, small pocket knives, lighters but not matches, adult toys :lol: , I'm going to beat you in the head with this...never mind. its really gotten stupid. As usual the innocent gets harassed while the criminals continue on. There are some things in life you just have to live with. I think after 9/11 the flying public will take care of any would be high-jackers. That is your best defense.

Yes I do but with the current climate any document can be forged. The North Koreans are forgeing our money, and no system is ever foolproof. If the security was alert on 9-11 that terrible incident would never happened. Somewhere in Pakistan there may be a shop that prints US passports or forged Pakistani documents. Security in Asia is lax(very), and with the right amount of push we could have potental terrorists a FA's. If I would board a plane with other than Europian attendants I would ask to go on another flight.

IIRC back in 1999 a major drug sting took place at Miami airport involving 50+ ramp agents who were contractors for a major carrier, it was discoverd that mass quanities of cocaine were being shipped via the airline without the carriers knowledge of course, but it was only uncovered after an informant came forward!....makes one wonder what else could be smuggled for the right price now does'nt It? Not to worry though were in safe hands now, I feel better knowing granny can't gouge my eyes out with her nail file!

It will catch-up with them very soon, when folks will go to other airlines. I am not surprised that the FAA/Government allows this, but when a "outsourced attendant" or mechanic hi-jacks, or puts a bomb in the plane they may wake -up . At the rate this going no one in the USA will have a job. No Working Americans

It is really interesting how these threads float off topic. They flow nicely but it is still neat to go back and reread a topic and look at all the twists and turns.

Why do you guys automatically presume that any outsourcing is going overseas? There are nice MRO facilities in the states, they might be far and between but they are there. Contractors mostly work at MRO's so the more outsourcing that is done the more contracts there are going to be. This means there will be a bigger demand for contractors thus driving the contract pay up. You union guys have kept the airline industry a closed shop for long enough. I am sure I will see some of you working for a contract house soon.

PTO,

You are a FOOL :p

The more suckers that go and work for these MRO's the LESS chance the pay rate will go up. You are one of these suckers, and a SCAB to boot :angry: !!

How many times have YOU signed off the work of some newbie working under a repair station certificate at your 'nice' MRO's?? No??? Maybe that's why you choose to be a gypsy and travel around looking to rob someone of their livelihood (NWA Mechs). How do you wake up everyday knowing you have no self respect or integrity???? You and the rest of your scabby lot are despicable indeed.

As an example, MAE has approx 532 certificated mechanics out of 1600+ employees. That's a bit of a tilt no matter how you look at it. And don't start that oversight crap because we all know that is another tilt <_< .

You should go and join the Foreign Legion....the French are always looking for a few good men :down: :down:

Do tell how much you know about cargo security procedures?
The TSA, which is part of Homeland Security, promised regulations to plug holes in air cargo security by the end of 2003. Congress gave the agency an August deadline to come up with the rules. The TSA has yet to do so.

___

Transportation Security Administration: http://www.tsa.gov

do some research yourself fresh hell, you would be suprised what you might learn :up:

You are, of course, aware that most MRO operators are not covered by TSA, FAA and airport badging regulations, are you not?

For instance, in the case last spring where the INS found over 20 people working for TIMCO in NC under false names. How many panels do you think those people might have closed that would not be opened until the next heavy check? If they had hostile intent, how many airplanes could they have compromised?

"Failure of imagination" is apparently a constant.

Back