Nwa Posts 2nd Quarter Loss

Still thinking about me I see NHBB. Odd

United was one of only 3 major network carriers to post an operating profit this quarter. Guess who posted an operating loss? Ding,ding,ding....you are correct. NWA

Fly said:

United was one of only 3 major network carriers to post an operating profit this quarter. Guess who posted an operating loss? Ding,ding,ding....you are correct. NWA
[post="284700"][/post]​
I must be reading the wrong press releases because the ones I've read say UA 2Q loss of $1.4B.

Fly said:
Still thinking about me I see NHBB.  Odd

United was one of only 3 major network carriers to post an operating profit this quarter.  Guess who posted an operating loss?  Ding,ding,ding....you are correct.  NWA
[post="284700"][/post]​

You must be keeping score quite selectively:

AA... operating profit and net profit
CO... operating profit and net profit
WN... operating profit and net profit
AS... operating profit and net profit
HP... operating profit and net profit
FL... operating profit and net profit
B6... operating profit and net profit (and yes, they're a major now)

DL... operating loss and net loss
NW... operating loss and net loss
UA... operating profit and net loss
US... operating profit and net loss

Fly said:
And they added about 200 million to our cash balance.
[post="284721"][/post]​

Funny what happens when you unload $6.3 billion in unfunded pension obligations...

Former ModerAAtor said:
UA... operating profit and net loss (and still not paying a lot of their bills!)
[post="284746"][/post]​
I swear, everybody on this board really needs to go to law school. A company in bankruptcy must account for all of their expenses whether they are paid or not. They are still owed. A company in bankruptcy can avoid obligations (debts, leases, contracts) owed BEFORE filing Chapter 11 as a part of a judicially approved restructuring. So you can say that UA has stiffed its past creditors (and forced the renegotiation of leases), but it is definitely paying its bills.

As for the whose is bigger discussion, it is clear that AA is in better financial and operation shape than UA, but that UA is making great strides in closing the gap. CO is doing surprisingly well ( although it will be interesting to see what happens if LCC competition gets established at EWR). DL is in trouble and probably will see Chapter 11. NW could go either way, but it doesn't look to good right now.

Incidentally, I've always wondered what NW and UA's financials would look like if you backed out their Pacific operations (I know that can't really be done in a meaningful way). I'll bet they both look really ugly.

Fly said:
And they added about 200 million to our cash balance.
[post="284721"][/post]​
$1.4Billion Dollars. I know you can read Fly $1.4Billion Dollars. You can break it up into as many catagories as you like but the bottom line is $1.4Billion Dollars.

Former ModerAAtor said:
[post="284746"][/post]​

:D

Actually a small operating profit and net loss at USAir. But still very factual (and funny) post. :up:

Fly said:

[post="284700"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fly,

To your quote about me still thinkin' about ya', what can I say ?
You have the "GREATEST AVATARS", I've ever seen. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Your latest, the penguins, is the *ALLS. Hope you never change it !!!!!!!
AND,
Yesterday was my birthday, the BIG "60" , so you better send me a sweet "PM" !!

"NOW" FLY,

You'd make a great politician. The way you "spun" UAL 2nd qtr. LOSS, into a "+", was a valiant attempt !!

XOXOXOXO's

NH/BB's

ps,

Keep an eye on magsau, he's "near the EDGE" !!!

Red Tail Bear said:
$1.4Billion Dollars. I know you can read Fly $1.4Billion Dollars. You can break it up into as many catagories as you like but the bottom line is $1.4Billion Dollars.
[post="284749"][/post]​

I'm impressed by your understanding of basic accounting.... Will you be telling us how wonderfully profitable UAL is when they report a HUGE profit via the cancelling of debt? :rolleyes:

Former ModerAAtor said:
You must be keeping score quite selectively:

AA... operating profit and net profit
CO... operating profit and net profit
WN... operating profit and net profit
AS... operating profit and net profit
HP... operating profit and net profit
FL... operating profit and net profit
B6... operating profit and net profit (and yes, they're a major now)

DL... operating loss and net loss
NW... operating loss and net loss
UA... operating profit and net loss
[post="284746"][/post]​

OK, how about this one:

Pilot error hull loses in the last 10 years:

AA... THREE
Wn... 0
AS... 0
HP... 0
FL... 0
B6... 0
DL... 0
NW... 0
UA... 0
US... 0

Funny what happens when you unload $6.3 billion in unfunded pension obligations...

Likewise, it's pretty funny that an airline as large as AMR still had LESS pension obligations thatn DAL and UAL. Maybe if your pension had been near the industry average, then you'd lost your's to. I guess you're proud to be the industries anchor....pulling down wages and benefits.

I wouldn't necessarily say 3 hull losses attributed to pilot error. Didn't the NTSB also assign some of the blame to the design of the A300? And how do they know for sure that the copilot was "stomping" on the rudder pedals. Could the rudder have moved on it's own? (Remember the UA 737 in COS and the US 737 near PIT concerning uncommanded rudder movements?)

aafsc said:
I wouldn't necessarily say 3 hull losses attributed to pilot error. Didn't the NTSB also assign some of the blame to the design of the A300? And how do they know for sure that the copilot was "stomping" on the rudder pedals. Could the rudder have moved on it's own? (Remember the UA 737 in COS and the US 737 near PIT concerning uncommanded rudder movements?)
[post="284809"][/post]​

The 737 rudders went one direction and stayed. The A300 rudder action was a classic PIO. While the A300 design that does not require significantly more pressure to displace the rudder at higher speeds (and the gear up) is faulty IMO, the inability to recognize the PIO and GET OFF THE RUDDER was the underlying cause. I guess the pilot hiring boys should have been looking for less C-172 jockeys that cut Cecils grass for free, and more of those arrogant single seaters that think a rudder serves only two purposes; tracking the nose at high AOA and/or low airspeed, and steering on the ground.....

Busdrvr said:
I'm impressed by your understanding of basic accounting.... Will you be telling us how wonderfully profitable UAL is when they report a HUGE profit via the cancelling of debt? :rolleyes:
[post="284802"][/post]​
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how wonderfully profitable UA will be. That is, if/when they ever get out of BK. Seems to me that they're more than happy to stay put. :down: :down: :down:

I think you are absolutely correct about that Red. It seems to tick off employees from all the other airlines, so maybe staying put is a good thing for UAL. Stay in until the judge gets angry.

Shout out: HAPPY BIRTHDAY NH/BB! (check your PM)

Latest posts