Nwa Says Bk Is Coming

Another day, another "doom and gloom for NWA" thread started by magsau. Thanks for assisting NWA management as they attempt to beat their employees down.

We know you find North By Northwest annoying; truth be told so do many of us, I'd wager. What you apparently fail to notice is the he or she is a distinct minority among NWA employees and that most of us have expressed nothing but support or empathy for our fellow airline employees at U, UAL and elsewhere. We know that you don't like many of the decisions that NWA management has made that have harmed your carrier; guess what...neither did most of us, but they didn't ask us before they made them.

Before you revel in the thought of an NWA bankruptcy, consider what will happen at your airline when NWA uses bankruptcy to improve their competitive position relative to yours. Think they'll be asking you for more concessions? Does the thought of the continued erosion of all of our jobs excite you?

Bankruptcy at NWA became inevitable when it became obvious that airlines could escape their pension committments, committments they had intentionally underfunded when times were good, through bankruptcy. No one carrier is to blame for that, and certainly not the employees of any one carrier. It was a series of decisions made by a generation of airline management that felt no responsibility for the long term prospects of their carriers and knew that they would never be held responsible for those decisions. Put the blame where it belongs.

There is a reason that NWA is historically the most often struck airline among the surviving carriers, and the current generation of NWA management is no different. The fact that they were willing to lose 1.2 Billion dollars in the 1998 pilots strike for no real gain proved that. This time it will be the excuse they need to avail themselves of the 'benefits' of bankruptcy without having to take the blame themselves. With NWA's relatively healthy balance sheet, it is also inevitable that they will survive the process and, with the precedents set by the carriers that preceded them, make the massive changes they feel they need to not only maintain but improve their competitive position relative to the other airlines. Having seen what the other carriers were able to achieve through bankruptcy, undoubtedly their demands will be even more extreme that those that preceeded them. The only certain result for NWA employees, and those of other carriers, is further losses of jobs, pay and benefits. Enjoy!

Rather than simply resign themselves to this, NWA employees have resisted and continue to resist, just as the employees at the other carriers have in their turn. But as we head into battle, you'll have to pardon us if we don't always have time to respond to your daily threads taking pleasure in our, and through us your own, doom.

magsau said:
Taking a page from the Jim Goodwin school of Airline Management, NWA boss Steenland says BK coming at NWA. NWA stock plummets and the company is bracing for the fallout of the news.

NBNW are you going to resign when the filing happens? Should we start and over/under on how long NWA spends in BK?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050705/northwest_steenland.html?.v=2
[post="280357"][/post]​
Tick-tock, Tick-tock, Tick-tock, Tick-tock. The clocks a tickin magsau Sept 1 is coming up awful quick. Is the flunky judge gonna give UA another last minute stay of execution, or is it finally time to pull the plug.???

I'll bet your money is on the flunky judge and the over!! :down: :down:

NWA/AMT,

I appreciate your post. It is true that I have taken to posting news in regards to the issues at NWA based on Red Tail and NBNW. Those two clowns have been the oracles of misinformation about UAL for quite some time and my patience is spent with UA being portrayed as the anti-christ. When UA was setting the bar for wages in 2000 those guys were accusing us of being greedy. When we take concessions they accuse of being weak. It is just getting old and for them to live and glass house they better be willing to accept a few stones.

Personally I have a few friends at NWA and would hate to see any harm come to them or their families. NBNW and RedTail are different stories.

You say that NW will be a better carrier if it goes to BK and will trump any UA plan. Listen Bk is no cake walk. Why do you think everyone is so against it? The problem I see with NW in BK under a strike scenario is that NW plans to scab the airline. Beating the union and introducing scabs to the workplace will only drive moral to a lower level due to the personell issues. You will have back to work agreements, permanent replacement agruments and possible a traveling public that would be unwilling to put of with the hassle. Also the BK laws change in Sept or Oct. I think there might be some motivation to either get in or avoid it by NW and DL in the next couple of months.

With tonights request for release by AMFA the showdown is looming and you guys are being thrust to the front of the line. Do you think the other unions will support the picket lines?

Thanks for a rational conversation. Good luck and take care.

magsau said:
NWA/AMT,

I appreciate your post. It is true that I have taken to posting news in regards to the issues at NWA based on Red Tail and NBNW. Those two clowns have been the oracles of misinformation about UAL for quite some time and my patience is spent with UA being portrayed as the anti-christ. When UA was setting the bar for wages in 2000 those guys were accusing us of being greedy. When we take concessions they accuse of being weak. It is just getting old and for them to live and glass house they better be willing to accept a few stones.
[post="280392"][/post]​

I understand that, but it is important to note that they are only two of many. Even with all the cuts, two people don't even represent a significant percentage of one percent of the total NWA workforce. They are certainly entitled to their opinions, but do not assume they speak for the rest of us. I've really never understood the urge to rub peoples noses in their misfortunes myself, but the internet certainly seems to be the place for that.

You say that NW will be a better carrier if it goes to BK and will trump any UA plan.

No, I said that NWA will seek a competitive advantage through bankruptcy, one that will continue the current downward spiral for all of us as the other carriers seek to use the same methods again themselves to shift the balance back. I see no potential outcome available that would result in NWA becoming anything like what I would call a 'better carrier'.

Listen Bk is no cake walk. Why do you think everyone is so against it?

I'm quite aware of the effects of bankruptcy, both on companies and on their employees. My wife and I were almost forced into bankruptcy ourselves when Braniff went into bankruptcy in the early 1980s and she lost her job. I have lived through it with my brother at TWA, who survived not one, not two, but three trips through the process only to find himself barely hanging on at AA after almost 35 years. I've lived through it with my many friends and family members at other carriers who are going through it now and have lost careers, homes and marriages.

My brother had to endure years of comments from employees of other airlines as TWA was in and out of bankruptcy, demonizing the TWA employees for not fighting harder or just letting the airline die. Sound familiar?

I'm not implying in any way that bankruptcy is a desirable outcome for the employees or the stockholders, but I do stand behind my assertion that it is inevitable. The NWA executives cashing out their accounts at a loss is a good indication of that.

In this day and age when companies are willing to sacrifice anything on the altar of 'competition', even to the point of making their companies unviable in the long term, the stigma normally associated with going bankrupt will be secondary to the possibility of undoing half a century of collective bargaining gains by their employees in one stroke, renegotiating their leases and other committments and shedding debt and pensions.

The problem I see with NW in BK under a strike scenario is that NW plans to scab the airline. Beating the union and introducing scabs to the workplace will only drive moral to a lower level due to the personell issues.

Employee morale has never been a concern at NWA, and if they are able to break one group, they will expect the others to fall in line quickly. Knowing NWA's aircraft and maintenance program as well as I do, I certainly wouldn't want to fly on one maintained in that environment, but I don't think the flying public knows or cares.

Also the BK laws change in Sept or Oct. I think there might be some motivation to either get in or avoid it by NW and DL in the next couple of months.

Actually, those changes are primarily to Chapter 13 in an attempt to protect the credit card companies in personal bankruptcies, and will have less effect on the corporate bankruptcy process under Chapter 11. Even if they were primarily Ch 11 changes, the advantage to NWA and DL would be to go into bankruptcy sooner rather than later as it would allow them to reorganize under the old rules, rather than the new ones.

With tonights request for release by AMFA the showdown is looming and you guys are being thrust to the front of the line. Do you think the other unions will support the picket lines?

We're used to being in the front lines. We were the only union at NWA to refuse to use their 'contract template' of 12% raises last time, forcing things to the PEB in May 2001 and obtaining 24% raises and significant language improvements instead. We have held the line since 9/11 even as NWA punished us for our intransigence every day, day in and day out. We have a management team that last time told us in negotiations that "There comes a time when you (the mechanics) need to know your place", and this time has not even maintained the pretense that they are actually negotiating. We're not being thrust anywhere we aren't used to being anyway.

The majority of the unions at NWA have contracts that do not allow them to refuse to cross picket lines or engage in "sympathy stirkes". If we stand, we stand alone and we know it. I don't want to walk away from my job, but I'm willing to do so if it will help stop this downward spiral. It's either that or prepare for the potential day when the company demands the right to harvest the internal organs of their contract employees any time one of the executives needs a transplant and claims they have to have that right to stay competitive.

Good luck to all of us, we're all certainly overdue for some.

magsau said:
NWA/AMT,

Personally I have a few friends at NWA and would hate to see any harm come to them or their families. NBNW and RedTail are different stories.

You say that NW will be a better carrier if it goes to BK and will trump any UA plan. Listen Bk is no cake walk. Why do you think everyone is so against it? The problem I see with NW in BK under a strike scenario is that NW plans to scab the airline. Beating the union and introducing scabs to the workplace will only drive moral to a lower level due to the personell issues. You will have back to work agreements, permanent replacement agruments and possible a traveling public that would be unwilling to put of with the hassle. Also the BK laws change in Sept or Oct. I think there might be some motivation to either get in or avoid it by NW and DL in the next couple of months.

Thanks for a rational conversation. Good luck and take care.
[post="280392"][/post]​
Magsau,
You are such a hypocrite. You're the one who has come on to another airlines (NW) board to hurl stones. It's almost as if you enjoy posting this doom and gloom. I realize NBNW has been very vocal towards UA, but I believe his/her patience is equally spent from reading posts from other airlines (UA) employees. Like you and Fly. (Who happen to be the biggest stone throwers on this forum). To criticize another airline while your own has been in BK for 3yrs is pretty ironic, would'nt you agree?

As for me, I think your accusations are a little off base. I've never said you guys were greedy in 2000 or weak for taking concessions, nor do I post doom and gloom (or misinformation as you like to call em) posts on another airlines board. I've only responded to posts (99% on the NW board) of a critcal nature from other airline employees regarding issues related to NW.

If your concerns for NW are indeed genuine, then I thank you for them. But the impressions given reading some of your posts suggests otherwise.

If fuel prices don't drop.. ALL the legacy carriers will be operating under bankruptcy protection. After all, US Air just announced their June Numbers & for the 1st time ever.. Fuel cost more than Labor..

It is simply Northwest's 15 min of fame where the media focuses on them .. Hell, in a week or 2 in will be Delta ..

NWA still a long way from BK but I am certain that few, including most the good folks at UA, would wish a Chap 11 for NWA. Most at NWA would have liked to have seen UA avoid the filing in the first place as with UA being NWA's number one competitor it has most definitely put pressures on NWA's labor to match UA which apparently isn't going so well.

The next month or so will be a very trying time for all of us at NWA. Best of luck to all the employees of the two giants of the Pacific. Hope to see you all in NRT for many years to come.

cheers

bigsky

Red Tail Bear said:
Magsau,
You are such a hypocrite. You're the one who has come on to another airlines (NW) board to hurl stones. It's almost as if you enjoy posting this doom and gloom. I realize NBNW has been very vocal towards UA, but I believe his/her patience is equally spent from reading posts from other airlines (UA) employees. Like you and Fly. (Who happen to be the biggest stone throwers on this forum). To criticize another airline while your own has been in BK for 3yrs is pretty ironic, would'nt you agree?

As for me, I think your accusations are a little off base. I've never said you guys were greedy in 2000 or weak for taking concessions, nor do I post doom and gloom (or misinformation as you like to call em) posts on another airlines board. I've only responded to posts (99% on the NW board) of a critcal nature from other airline employees regarding issues related to NW.

If your concerns for NW are indeed genuine, then I thank you for them. But the impressions given reading some of your posts suggests otherwise.
[post="280454"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

magsau,

"And your reply to RTB is..................................... ???????"

NH/BB's

Red Tail Bear said:
Tick-tock, Tick-tock, Tick-tock, Tick-tock. The clocks a tickin magsau Sept 1 is coming up awful quick. Is the flunky judge gonna give UA another last minute stay of execution, or is it finally time to pull the plug.???

I'll bet your money is on the flunky judge and the over!! :down: :down:
[post="280371"][/post]​

NHBB,

He is right I have him all wrong. See above.

AND, you reply would be..........?????

magsau said:
NHBB,

He is right I have him all wrong. See above.

[post="280601"][/post]​

magsau,

For the most part, RTB(90+ % of the time) is defending BIG RED !!

But I will grant you, that simple "back and forth" agreeing to disagree, can give the impression of a mud slinging contest !! Now add a "bomb tosser" like FLY into the equation and PRESTO, next thing you know this board starts to resemble WW3 !!

I agree with Tilton on one point. Lets get this "show on the road" and get the consolidation(s) over with, and let, what's left of the legacy's, to move on !!

NH/BB's

magsau said:
NHBB,

He is right I have him all wrong.  See above.

[post="280601"][/post]​
Magsau,

That post was in response to ONE of your MANY posts like it. Your problem is that You can dish it out but You can't take it. Maybe you should heed your OWN advice: People in glass houses should not throw stones. (ie.) Like coming on to another airlines forum board with ill intentions. :down: :down: :down:

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
Now add a "bomb tosser" like FLY into the equation and PRESTO, next thing you know this board starts to resemble WW3 !!

[post="280650"][/post]​

Bomb Tosser?!? Haven't said squat to you in ages old man.

cat%20yawn.jpg

magsau says "When UA was setting the bar for wages in 2000 those guys were accusing us of being greedy."

It might have been the UAL pilots who were setting the bar for flight crew wages. While UniTED lost 400MIL that summer, the summer of HELL!

But in the mechanics ranks it was AMFA and the NWA guys that set the bar for UniTED mechanics wages to increase to $35 an hour.

I never called any of you weak at UniTED, pitiful yes but not weak! Pitful that you feel so desperate for employment that you continue to back a management team that doesn't have a clue how to get you out of BK.