Obama Wants Boeing S.C. Shut Down

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com
758950465_cc787ac6cf.jpg

South Carolina is a right-to-work state, and we're proud that within our borders workers cannot be required to join a labor union as a condition of employment. We don't need unions playing middlemen between our companies and our employees. We don't want them forcefully inserted into our promising business climate. And we will not stand for them intimidating South Carolinians.

That is apparently too much for President Obama and his union-beholden appointees at the National Labor Relations Board, who have asked the courts to intervene and force Boeing to stop production in South Carolina. The NLRB wants Boeing to produce the planes only in Washington state, where its workers must belong to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

Article

758950465_cc787ac6cf.jpg

South Carolina is a right-to-work state, and we're proud that within our borders workers cannot be required to join a labor union as a condition of employment. We don't need unions playing middlemen between our companies and our employees. We don't want them forcefully inserted into our promising business climate. And we will not stand for them intimidating South Carolinians.

That is apparently too much for President Obama and his union-beholden appointees at the National Labor Relations Board, who have asked the courts to intervene and force Boeing to stop production in South Carolina. The NLRB wants Boeing to produce the planes only in Washington state, where its workers must belong to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

Article

Well you have to repay your supporters so no surprise here. I've done some reading on this topic and some indirect personal knowledge of what happens when 2200 jobs move south from the Rust Belt.

If Boeing were to have closed the Washington facility and move a like number of jobs to SC I could understand the NLRB's decision. These jobs are "Net New" jobs and in theory could be anyplace within the US. So I'm puzzled by the ruling.

Gee dell,

What was your view on when US sent out Airbus to Mobile?

All ready being talked about here

And do you think the President actually had a hand in the decision from the Administrative Judge?

And Boeing gets more money from the US government than any other client.

So its ok for Boeing to be retaliatory against its union members for sticking up for themselves?

And do you think the President actually had a hand in the decision from the Administrative Judge?

With this guy I wouldn't be surprised if he had an ex-parte conversation with the Administrative Judge or for that matter the IAM itself. He has no trust or credibility with me.

Asked and Answered, there is no level to low for Obame to sink to in pushing his agenda
So its ok for Boeing to be retaliatory against its union members for sticking up for themselves?

My understanding is these are "Net New" jobs so how would there be any workers from SC to be "retaliated against"?

The workers in WA are being retaliated against, did you even read why the NLRB ruled the way it did? There is evidence of why Boeing did what they did, there is plenty of room in WA for them to build the plane in WA.

The workers in WA are being retaliated against, did you even read why the NLRB ruled the way it did? There is evidence of why Boeing did what they did, there is plenty of room in WA for them to build the plane in WA.

Good, send Boeing into receivership because it can not compete on the global market.
That will teach them! :wacko:

I thought the decision was relatively narrow compared to a similar situation with Mack Trucks moving 5C from Allentown to Winnsboro, SC in the 1980's. UAW filed a complaint on similar grounds and promptly lost the NLRB decision.

What I see is the politicization of the process both then and now. However keep in mind that one person's retaliation is another's exercise of managerial prerogative. At Mack the company had workers, in particular two union reps VIDEOTAPED having a cookout while clocked in or officially on union business in the case of the 2 UAW reps. As a result, Mack nearly ceased to exist and was bought by Renault Vehicles Industriale (RVI) which was subsequently sold to the Volvo Group, with the end result being the Allentown & South Carolina plants along with world HQ in Allentown being consolidated to Greensboro, NC with a net loss of about 3,500 jobs both union and otherwise.

Bottom line is this is what happens when Government intervenes in private enterprise.

I thought the decision was relatively narrow compared to a similar situation with Mack Trucks moving 5C from Allentown to Winnsboro, SC in the 1980's. UAW filed a complaint on similar grounds and promptly lost the NLRB decision.

What I see is the politicization of the process both then and now. However keep in mind that one person's retaliation is another's exercise of managerial prerogative. At Mack the company had workers, in particular two union reps VIDEOTAPED having a cookout while clocked in or officially on union business in the case of the 2 UAW reps. As a result, Mack nearly ceased to exist and was bought by Renault Vehicles Industriale (RVI) which was subsequently sold to the Volvo Group, with the end result being the Allentown & South Carolina plants along with world HQ in Allentown being consolidated to Greensboro, NC with a net loss of about 3,500 jobs both union and otherwise.

Bottom line is this is what happens when Government intervenes in private enterprise.

As almost anyone here will attest I am very 'PRO UNION'.
However, one must gain reality and not choke the golden goose providing wages, benefits and JOBS!
The idea of unions holding hostage of company assets and entrepreneurial advantage in a dynamic market is just foolhardy. That is why in most cases, unions are a dinosaur as they can not adapt to our current situation.
Stick to the core values and stop trying to run the company and chit will be just fine. When you get unions telling how the company should be run, well you end up with a United. How did that work out?
:eek: :huh: :unsure:

I'm just going to cut and paste what I said on the other thread regarding this.

It would appear that some people on this thread are missing a very important point. Point being the 787 program is a mess because of the decisions made at the beginning of the program by the people who run the company. The people who build the 787 in Everett have little to do with the problems with that program. The decision to have a second production three thousand miles from the first is just another bad decision piled on top of all the other ones regarding the 787. Setting up a second production line will not fix what is wrong.

I know people are going to try and say that if the union goons in Washington were to just get their act together they would not have the issue of a second production line. Once again the problem is not the folks building it. You can trace the problem to having a totally unrealistic entry into service date for the first mass produced composite airliner. Add to that having sub-contractors like Vought do work they had not done before. Like stuffing the sections they made with all the associated equipment whereas before Boeing would do that work. End result, work not being done properly which resulted in work getting out of sequence. That’s why Boeing has a facility in Charleston in the first place. Vought made such a mess of things, aided and abetted by Boeing; Boeing had no choice but to buy them out. For around a half a billion dollars, that should cut into profits.

Boeing appears to be going down the route of McDonnell Douglas. Farming out as much as they can to domestic and overseas suppliers. We all know what happened to them. Not that any of us should be surprised, a lot of the people who drove MD into the ground ended up at high level positions at Boeing.

What's truly worrisome is that the wing is not being produced in the USA. That falls under the category of giving away the farm

Gee dell,

What was your view on when US sent out Airbus to Mobile?

I wasn't aware Mobile was under US Air Group....

Yes I believe the President had input.

Boeing gets more money than GE?

Funny, GE engines have both union and non union shops across the country, so why couldn't Boeing?