Out with the bean counters...and in with AIRLINE peopel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joepittsford

Nov 8, 2005
You know....I'm an airline brat....my dad worked for the airlines...I went to college for aviation... and I've worked in the airlines all my life... I'm a pilot.....I've got my A&P.....I've worked in airline management and as an hourly employee....I've done everything an hourly employee can do from dumping biffies to working ramp tower (and EVERYTHING) in between ......Heck...when I started working, I remember hand written tickets...

I've seen the industry on both sides of the fence...regulated and and non-regulated....I'm not claiming to be smart...I'm not claiming to have any of the answers...I've met people HALF my age that know TWICE as much as I'll EVER know....if long life does anything, it makes you humble (if you're lucky)....it also gives you the ability to compare "the old" vs "the new".......Over the years (and the DECADES) the synergies and dynamics of the industry have changed...but one thing has remained a constant...it's the EMPLOYEES that are the MOST important factor in an airline (and in ANY business) for achieving greatness, AND ultimately PROFITABILITY.... it's the employees providing a GREAT service product.....

Northwest's seat is the same as United/Delta/American/etc seat ...The employees ATTITUDE is what makes the difference in a persons travel plans....and employees create that feeling by working for a company that they feel has their best interests at heart (like Southwest)....You take care of me...and I'll take care of your customers...and that creates pride...Airline employees HAD that before the new "deregulated" management came aboard...but it's not there anymore...Most airline employees now know that our upper manangement people are nothing more than white collar criminals...who's only goal is to line their pockets (along with their buddies who they've selected to sit on their board....and vice-versa) before they bail for greener pastures....Southwest is the only company now that CARES about their employees.....And T-H-A-T is why Southwest has kicked everyones butt (along with some pretty sharp business practices) all these years. Of the many things Kelleher understood about the airline business, THAT is the one that made Southwest the leader...he VALUED his employees......

He made SURE that they knew (and FELT) that...while the likes of Northwest/United/Delta/etc only see their employees as a "financial burden".....sure...the corporate boobleheads spew their "we love ourt employees" to the press...but in reality, any time upper management can figure out a way to cut wages/outsource manpower, they are ALL over it.......all the while upper management builds nice little "golden parachutes" for themselves.

For "working so hard" to build a good company....for "the investors"... and NOT the employees oo the customers...

This management style has not gone unnoticed by people who make a living "evaluating" management practices....... enjoy the article.....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1210265789...tp&ru=yahoo

You nailed it on the head....If your employees are happy, then they will show that in their job performance. It's a natural cycle of events. Why don't they get this? It's so elementary! Talk about not seeing the forest thru the trees. This article should be required reading in the boardrooms of all of the 6 major legacy carriers!

...The employees ATTITUDE is what makes the difference in a persons travel plans....and employees create that feeling by working for a company that they feel has their best interests at heart (like Southwest)....

Question: ten years ago if you had the opportunity to switch and work for WN would you have grabbed the opportunity?

(remember to consider the pay scales a decade ago too)

Good article, obviously the guy is studied.
I was reading it and couldn't help but put names to the labels of the examples he was using. Northwest as the worst in terms of employee relations and Southwest as the best. It was always like clockwork with Northwest when there would be a new agreement with a work group where a concession was made, the CEO himself (take your pick) would pronounce from the high tower that a new initiative would be announced in order to improve employee/management relations. I stay convinced as ever that it is all for appearances sake. Facts remain that until the CEO and VPs of companies ike NWA get off their ivory pedestals and take a pay cut communsurate with the company fortunes then NOTHING will ever change.

...they are ALL over it.......all the while upper management builds nice little "golden parachutes" for themselves.

For "working so hard" to build a good company....for "the investors"... and NOT the employees oo the customers...

This management style has not gone unnoticed by people who make a living "evaluating" management practices....... enjoy the article.....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1210265789...tp&ru=yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.