Outsourcing Versus In-house Cost

GeezLouis

Advanced
Jan 8, 2004
Does anyone have any idea how much an average S-check done in Mobile costs versus one performed by U mechanics? I would like to know how much the airline is really saving. First of all, it isn't cheap to ferry these aircraft to locations far away from the heart of our operating system. Secondly, I would suspect that this facility doesn't have a lot of the necessary tooling, or parts supplies that U would normally have in stock (I've work for outfits like this before and trust me, it ain't no picnic!). This either escalates costs(which is supposedly the reason for doing this), depending on if their pay is based on time to finish the check, or; if nothing else, delays the aircraft from going back into service due to logistic related down time.

I would like to know roughly how much the airline is saving per check. There's no doubt in my mind that the quality isn't even close to that of in-house mtc! :down:

Attachments

• chopstilloette.jpg
    chopstilloette.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 111
The lawsuits which US has brought have defeated the cost benefits for at least the next 10 years... never should have shut down TPA, never should have lied, and never should have fought the court ruling... they will STILL lose. I still can remember it well... I was traveling the day that TPA was padlocked (around Thanksgiving), and I had the best experience with customer service you could possibly have. Little did I know that hours later, 1/4 of the US workforce would be furloughed. It made me very mad.

GeezLouis said:
Does anyone have any idea how much an average S-check done in Mobile costs versus one performed by U mechanics? I would like to know how much the airline is really saving. First of all, it isn't cheap to ferry these aircraft to locations far away from the heart of our operating system. Secondly, I would suspect that this facility doesn't have a lot of the necessary tooling, or parts supplies that U would normally have in stock (I've work for outfits like this before and trust me, it ain't no picnic!). This either escalates costs(which is supposedly the reason for doing this), depending on if their pay is based on time to finish the check, or; if nothing else, delays the aircraft from going back into service due to logistic related down time.

I would like to know roughly how much the airline is saving per check. There's no doubt in my mind that the quality isn't even close to that of in-house mtc! :down:
never having done something yet,how can you cost it out?
a estimate can be made,but you don't have all the variables.