P/t Fsa Position In Phl

jcooke

Sep 2, 2004
Howdy all,

I've been a forum reader for a number of months now and have a couple questions. I went down to one of the interview sessions that US was offering for FSA and CSA positions for PHL this past weekend and was offered a P/T FSA position.

I asked if this was for mainline or express and they had said it was for mainline but some of the documents had stated MDA. I thought MDA was the express side for the EMB-170's and the hybrid "mainline express" - is this correct?

Also, for scheduling and training they really didn't give us much information except for scheduling its "based on bidding" and no other helpful information. Anyone able to shed some light on things?

Any positive information is helpful. I've been a passenger of US for a number of years and would like to see them prosper both as a passenger and hopeful employee.

Thanks all!

- JC

You can bet that you are being hired on for MDA, not Mainline. The bottom 40-60 at Mainline were offered a trip out the door, or MDA positions. MDA is a way around the Mainline Express classification in the Hubs and large stations. This way the company can have a separate operation with employees at Express rates. :down:

wings396 said:
You can bet that you are being hired on for MDA, not Mainline. The bottom 40-60 at Mainline were offered a trip out the door, or MDA positions. MDA is a way around the Mainline Express classification in the Hubs and large stations. This way the company can have a separate operation with employees at Express rates. :down:
[post="175847"][/post]​

OK, I think you're right as I went back and found the posting and it is definitely for MDA.

What does that mean in terms of which a/c being worked on, seniority, work scheduling, etc? What should I expect coming in as a P/T'er?

Thanks for the info!

-JC

Philly hired around 40-50 rampers. After they were trainded, they were told that they could either go to MAA with no bennies or quit. They hired on at $9.00 and were told MAA was $7.50. Needless to say, the older left, but the young ones have for the most part went to MAA at $7.50 with NO bens. :( :(

Bluestreak said:
JC,

What payrate are they offering? If the pay and work rules are acceptable I'd say go for it. An airline job is better than a real job.
[post="175850"][/post]​

Pay is 7.73 to start. I don't have any other information regarding work rules and was hoping that maybe someone on the board could shed some light into the position that I'm going for.

-JC

jcooke said:
Pay is 7.73 to start. I don't have any other information regarding work rules and was hoping that maybe someone on the board could shed some light into the position that I'm going for.

-JC
[post="175855"][/post]​

I am currently at FSA at PHL for MidAtlantic. I too was orginally hired for mainline in July, but then was switched to MDA. I work nights. If you want to work nights they are pretty easy to come by. I'm actually sort of high up on the seniority list as far as MidAtlantic goes because there were only 2 classes before me. If I don't get weekends off this coming bid, I probably will next bid. You usually work 5 days on, 2 days off. I'm guessing the classes will keep pouring in because we're adding many flights soon. I love the job so far. You pretty much are getting paid peanuts, but we have a lot of fun while doing our jobs and a lot of the people are really cool. You really can't beat the flight benefits either.

Jonnyd said:
I am currently at FSA at PHL for MidAtlantic. I too was orginally hired for mainline in July, but then was switched to MDA. I work nights. If you want to work nights they are pretty easy to come by. I'm actually sort of high up on the seniority list as far as MidAtlantic goes because there were only 2 classes before me. If I don't get weekends off this coming bid, I probably will next bid. You usually work 5 days on, 2 days off. I'm guessing the classes will keep pouring in because we're adding many flights soon. I love the job so far. You pretty much are getting paid peanuts, but we have a lot of fun while doing our jobs and a lot of the people are really cool. You really can't beat the flight benefits either.
[post="175882"][/post]​

Awesome, much appreciate the information! Any ideas how they handle the P/T scheduling? It sounds like you guys have fun doing your job too - always a bonus. What types of aircraft are you guys working on, strictly the E170's or others too?

-JC

If you are seeking an Airline job in PHL, head over to SWA and apply. If you get called at a later date, run like the wind over to their side. With all of the expansion they have planned, I'm sure they will need to hire off the street at some point in the future. I would be willing to bet they don't have tons of transfers wanting to go to PHL.

jcooke said:
Awesome, much appreciate the information! Any ideas how they handle the P/T scheduling? It sounds like you guys have fun doing your job too - always a bonus. What types of aircraft are you guys working on, strictly the E170's or others too?

-JC
[post="175885"][/post]​

They basically a bunch of lines that you can pick from, what we call "bidding your schedule." They give you an exact time to be there to bid what hours you want off of the schedule that they post. Your re-bid your schedule every 90 days. It's pretty much impossible to get weekends off at first, because obviously the more senior people will take those lines. We strictly work on the E-170's and nothing else. I think we just took delivery of #20 the other day.

wings396 said:
If you are seeking an Airline job in PHL, head over to SWA and apply. If you get called at a later date, run like the wind over to their side. With all of the expansion they have planned, I'm sure they will need to hire off the street at some point in the future. I would be willing to bet they don't have tons of transfers wanting to go to PHL.
[post="175930"][/post]​

Thanks for the info wings, but I think I'm going to stick with US. Although it may pay better and have other better perks, I like the idea of the travel bennies that US offers.

Plus I'm a loyal US Preferred flyer as-is now so I can't really see myself heading over to WN. But I do appreciate the info!

-JC

Jonnyd said:
They basically a bunch of lines that you can pick from, what we call "bidding your schedule." They give you an exact time to be there to bid what hours you want off of the schedule that they post. Your re-bid your schedule every 90 days. It's pretty much impossible to get weekends off at first, because obviously the more senior people will take those lines. We strictly work on the E-170's and nothing else. I think we just took delivery of #20 the other day.
[post="175971"][/post]​

OK, sounds pretty similar to the scheduling process when I was working for a large helpdesk. Do they allow people to cover each others shifts if a circumstance exists (for instance, dr. appts, etc)?

Do they hold the training for FSA's in PHL or is it spread out to PIT and CLT as well?

Definitely glad to see they've took delivery of the 20th, although I can't say I've been in one before.

Thanks for the info!

-JC

Welcome to those joining MidAtlantic. Theres quite a bit of negativity yowards MDA, particularly from the mainline employees (who voted on the contracts) towards thier junior counterparts who returned to work at MDA. Its not the best pay, but many folks LIKE thier job and were happy to get an opportunity to come back, that without MDA would never be. They fell for the divide and conquer trick ("let the juniors make commuter pay on mainline a/c, who cares about them! It'll never be me!") and are now mad at the people for returning to work. Whatever! Reap what you sow!

Enjoy the airline industry, its always interesting, but not quite as terrible as implied here!

And if one more mainline person tells you to go to Southwest, I would let them know that they are also welcome to apply if they'd be happier.