Palin Fears for Her 1st Amendment Rights

Oct 30, 2006
In a recent interview, VP Candidate, Sarah Palin said she fears her First Amendment rights may be threatened by "attacks" from reporters who suggest she is engaging in a negative campaign against Barack Obama.

She said: "If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations, then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."

Hmmm. This is VERY odd. Essentially, Palin is saying that SHE wants to restrict the media from saying certain things about her so that she can get her point across. First, the 1st amendment is to protect the people from government abridging the freedom of speech; not the other way around. Second, as she is a government official (and running for VP), it is very disconcerting that she is trying to shut the media up (potentially limiting their 1st amendment rights) in the guise of protecting her freedom of speech rights.

I understand that the media shows bias and, in many cases, it is not favorable towards her or is too favorable towards Obama; but she needs to address that problem of media bias... not a pseudo first amendment problem that nearly points the finger directly back at her. This is showing a complete lack of understanding on the issue.

So, she only cares about the 1st amendment when it comes to protecting her rights, but when the media wants to print negative stories about her or her family, then it's "off limits"???

That's very typical of the republicans. They feel they can insult and degrade people that don't agree with them, but if you disagree with their religious views, you're "attacking the church".

McCain did us a favor by showing us the kind of nut jobs there are in politics. The above and the fact that she thought a VP's job was to "run" the Senate shows she has a lot of empty space between her ears.

She can't protect the Constitution if she has never read it.

I think many republicans will vote for Obama Just to keep her from embarassing them further. It won't come down to a few chad's this time.