PAWOB Award - Week of 4/16 to 4/22/2007

Jan 9, 2004
Pittsburgh PA
Hey, Hey! Boys and Girls! What's goin' on?

This week's award is a split decision.

The first winner is LGA with a Chatauqua ERJ that arrived in PIT with NO CHECKED BAGS and ONE CARRYON BAG early Saturday afternoon. It's always fun to tell baggage services that they are SCREWED for local bags and will enjoy their afternoon explaining to passengers that their bags were afraid to fly.

Winner #2 is whomever is in charge of the international connections in CLT on Saturdays. PIT got a number of BDL expedites on Saturday night. What do you want to bet it had to do with some ridiculous connection time that was measured in seconds? CLT, it's not your fault that the bags didn't make it (unless it is and you were trying to fool me - doubtful). Nope, I think CoachRowsey knows exactly what I'm talking about. I can only imagine what Sundays are like in CLT.

There are your winners, folks! Until next week...

The first winner is LGA with a Chatauqua ERJ that arrived in PIT with NO CHECKED BAGS and ONE CARRYON BAG early Saturday afternoon. It's always fun to tell baggage services that they are SCREWED for local bags and will enjoy their afternoon explaining to passengers that their bags were afraid to fly.

Winner #2 is whomever is in charge of the international connections in CLT on Saturdays. PIT got a number of BDL expedites on Saturday night. What do you want to bet it had to do with some ridiculous connection time that was measured in seconds? CLT, it's not your fault that the bags didn't make it (unless it is and you were trying to fool me - doubtful). Nope, I think CoachRowsey knows exactly what I'm talking about. I can only imagine what Sundays are like in CLT.

Could a CRJ-200 (full) arrive with no checked bags? Would it require some sort of ballast for W & B?

Well if he was talking about a CRJ-200 it would need ballast, but this was an ERJ.

Quite right, Orville. And since I'm pretty sure no ballast was removed from the cargo bin, I can only assume that the bags were forgotten. A pretty odd occurence for LGA, because they are a very good group at that airport.

At any rate, it's not the first or last time this will happen. PIT has seen plenty of screwups like this over the years, as have other stations. I think we'd all prefer that it doesn't happen at all, but as long as stations are short of personnel......

This is what happens when you let software tell you how many people are required to do a job without personally observing the operation. Task management, IMO, needs to take an "eyes open, hands on" approach.

You bet I know & thank God I no longer work Sat. nights.

I was just wondering if a CRJ-200 (full) could fly without bags or ballast.
The award story made me think of it, that's all. :rolleyes:
To answer the question, it could not. The CRJ-200 is extremely nose-heavy (vs. the CRJ-700 which is tail-heavy) and could not fly full without a significant amount of ballast in the back.