PAWOB Award - Week of 4/30 to 5/6/2007

Jan 9, 2004
Pittsburgh PA
Hey, hey! I have a group of winners this week.

"A group, Prince?" Yep! That's right! I picked a whole bunch of folks who consistently miss bags at PIT and cause US Airways to look bad on a regular basis, and there is very little we can do about them.

"Who are they?"

Glad you asked that. This week's PAWOB award winners are the not-so-fine folks at Express Jet, Worldwide and Delta Global Services. These are the people responsible for ground operations for Continental/American Eagle, Northwest and Delta in PIT. They are also the folks who continue to transfer interline baggage long after US Airways flight depart from PIT.

Interline baggage is just as important as any other, and when one airline fails to transfer baggage to another in a timely way, the affected passengers tend to take their ire out on...you guessed it! The last airline they flew on, which is typically US Airways.

US, on the other hand, makes the effort to transfer EVERYTHING quickly to ensure a smooth trip for our interline passengers in PIT. I would assume that we could expect the same from other airlines, but usually it turns out that the fast food mentality at these other ground operations consider it to be great sport to irritate US employees and passengers by delivering baggage after departure time.

"Hey, Prince! Why did you leave out United? Don't they sometimes miss bags?" Yes, they do. However, the folks at United don't do it on purpose. Usually, it's late flights or illegal connection times that affect their baggage transfer in PIT, and their rate of missed baggage is FAR, FAR BELOW that of the aforementioned airlines. You might as well give the award to US Airways if you were going to lump United in there. That would be inaccurate and unfair, and we all know how I feel about that sort of behavior.

So CO, NW and DL, enjoy your PAWOB Award this week. You have earned it many times over, so the award was due you a long time ago.

On a side note, the weather has been very good this past week (with a strong storm thrown in for good measure), and load factors have been very good in and out of PIT. We are doing the business so smoothly that I still can't figure out why we don't do more business at both Mainline and Express. Oh, well...I guess we'll see what happens next.

Stay tuned next week for another installment of the PAWOB Award!