Pay to see your own schedule (The America West way of doing business)

ContUNITEus

Veteran
May 4, 2011
Did you know that Phoenix based flight attendants at US Airways (formerly America West) have to pay to see their own schedule from home and their laptops when they are traveling? They have to pay to be able to access the system so that they can do their bidding and so on.

I just wanted to run this by you guys at American, since you think that US Airways (cough) America West is such a great company....

http://afl.salsalabs...last_KEY=158321

Just know that when the merger gets completed, you will finally deal with an unscrupulous management group that dares to go places where others have never been before. If they can find a way to make you pay for you to be employeed at American Airlines, they will.

Just know that they have always worked this way, and that they wont necessarily abandon their ways, just because they merged with a larger entity.

Just know, based on history, who you are about to engage with.

------------

Forgot to mention:

On top of that, you only get like 15 minutes online at the time...

Also, when it is time for so called DPU and the tradeboard to open, you sit there and wait for sometimes up to 4 hours in queue, just to get 15 minutes to quickly do your bidding transactions. There are also times, when you wait 3+ hours in line to get in, just to have the system crap out due to some sort of connection failure with Cisco, and you have to start from the beginning and wait another 3 hours to try to get back in.

And remember, you have to pay for this.

Did you know that Phoenix based flight attendants at US Airways (formerly America West) have to pay to see their own schedule from home and their laptops when they are traveling? They have to pay to be able to access the system so that they can do their bidding and so on.

I just wanted to run this by you guys at American, since you think that US Airways (cough) America West is such a great company....

Just know that when the merger gets completed, you will finally deal with an unscrupulous management group that dares to go places where others have never been before. If they can find a way to make you pay for you to be employeed at American Airlines, they will.

Just know that they have always worked this way, and that they wont necessarily abandon their ways, just because they merged with a larger entity.

------------

Forgot to mention:

Also, when it is time for so called DPU and the tradeboard to open, you sit there and wait for sometimes up to 4 hours in queue, just to get 15 minutes to quickly do your bidding transactions. There are also times, when you wait 3+ hours in line to get in, just to have the system crap out due to some sort of connection failure with Cisco, and you have to start from the beginning and wait another 3 hours to try to get back in.

Sounds like a flight attendant problem, although it does show their way of doing business. Just view your schedule at work and write it down or print it. AMT's get paid hourly, we could easily go to work and get paid to look at our schedules if they want.

. If they can find a way to make you pay for you to be employeed at American Airlines, they will.

As UNFAIR as it would be, not to let AA/US go thru (Think..UA-CO/DL-NW/WN-Air Tran), I HONESTLY believe this merger will NOT come to fruition, and is why the FEDS halted it. I have heard from EXTREMELY (Airline reliable) people, who WHEN they issue an unnoficial statement to me(and I'm NOT going to go into a looooong drawn out Q + A over this)....Are / Have NEVER been wrong with thier info.
( eolesen is NOT the ONLY person who.....'Knows People',..... trust me. )

The story on the street has 3 main points.

(The statements are IN NO WAY a reflection toward the good folks at US or AW) !!!!!!!

1. US was denied UA/US (the true 'unofficial reasons , never to be known, BUT history does repeat itself)
2. US has been during the tough financial times, able to turn a profit(Thanks to thier STRANGLEHOLDS in PHL/CLT/PHX and Parkers RAPING of the employees)
3. The FEDS DETEST US(thanx to Parker, and fairly, or unfairly the inability of the 2 pilots unions to reach a intergration seniority list)

(And I'll add this, with no proof to provide),

4. AA got to go into the BK-11 "carwash" ($$$) for thier First time, like EVERYONE else did. With the 'null and void" clause 'just around the corner' (Dec. I think)....IMHO, AA is just 'role playing' !

Time will tell, ......soon.

Reactions: 3 people
I've heard from someone who would know that the Feds have never liked US Airways. On the other hand, the Feds seem to like DL. I'm not a conspiracy buff, but it does make me wonder.

Reactions: 3 people

------------

Forgot to mention:

When AA first introduced Direct Deposit they touted it as a benefit they were offering us, not as a cost savings for them, then on top of that they tried to see if we would pay them a fee for the connivence in addition to the savings they would see.

As UNFAIR as it would be, not to let AA/US go thru (Think..UA-CO/DL-NW/WN-Air Tran), I HONESTLY believe this merger will NOT come to fruition, and is why the FEDS halted it. I have heard from EXTREMELY (Airline reliable) people, who WHEN they issue an unnoficial statement to me(and I'm NOT going to go into a looooong drawn out Q + A over this)....Are / Have NEVER been wrong with thier info.

(The statements are IN NO WAY a reflection toward the good folks at US or AW) !!!!!!!

1. US was denied UA/US (the true 'unofficial reasons , never to be known, BUT history does repeat itself)
2. US has been during the tough financial times, able to turn a profit(Thanks to thier STRANGLEHOLDS in PHL/CLT/PHX and Parkers RAPING of the employees)
3. The FEDS DETEST US(thanx to Parker, and fairly, or unfairly the inability of the 2 pilots unions to reach a intergration seniority list)

4. AA got to go into the BK-11 "carwash" ($$$) for thier First time, like EVERYONE else did. With the 'null and void" clause 'just around the corner' (Dec. I think)....IMHO, AA is just 'role playing' !

I see what you are saying. Could it also be that since Parker is pretty much throwing Horton under the bus, after merger, and Horton would love to have the DOJ reject the merger. Control issues.

Reactions: 1 person
I see what you are saying. Could it also be that since Parker is pretty much throwing Horton under the bus, after merger, and Horton would love to have the DOJ reject the merger. Control issues.

Well there's 'two things' that I just can't 'shake'.
That the Feds would not let UA/US go thru'
and....this probably the biggest, That with ALL of US's 'issues' they STILL make Money. To me, thats 'telling'.

They OWN PHL !!!!!!!!!!!!
And US is a smaller company than AA who 'owns' DFW, or DL, who 'owns' ATL. Yet DFW and ATL are smaller cities than PHL, which I still believe is king of O + D traffic, between the 3 cities.
Furthermore is you look at the I-95 corridor, they have a Choke Hold on traffic between PHL and DCA (which they control)
(BWI/WN not withstanding)

I agree. Just because the DOJ approved the last few mergers, it does not mean it was the right decision. DL-NW resulted in the Memphis hub going away with many jobs and the UA-CO will probably result in the Cleveland hub closing, and this in spite of top airline brass saying no hubs will be closed. Airline upper management are comparable to politicians who will say anything to get elected, pass legislation, etc. Now that AA has leveled the playing field with their first trip through chapter 11 by bringing wages and benefits in line with those other carriers, shedding leases on older aircraft and lowering lease payments on remaining aircraft, they are starting to turn a profit. I do not trust US management in running AA, remember, its US that was the first major to charge customers for water, that policy quickly dropped due to being embarrassed by the press, but still US charges a fee to redeem award tickets on the company site while AA does not.
US had owned the Northeast for years and charged very high fares, their stock exchange symbol LCC is a misnomer, little by little WN and B6 are chipping away at US cash cow routes. Doug feels this is his last stand in trying to join the big leagues and will pull all the stops out to get this done. The best US can hope for if the merger fails is a code share with AA similar to one they had around 2000.

Just reading today that the FEDS/DOJ are in NO hurry to conclude this 'issue until 'post-2013', where/when I understand this changes-the-game-favorably for AA, and Not-favorably for US !

The very good folks @ US have EARNED ALL the 'Best wishes / Good Luck(s) any of us can possibly give them, for all the SH!T that they've had to deal with over these many years !

AA did charge crews for access to sabre, until workarounds evolved and made it a moot point.

AA Charges for nonrev travel are much higher than US, and apparently everyone else

fwiw

I've heard from someone who would know that the Feds have never liked US Airways. On the other hand, the Feds seem to like DL. I'm not a conspiracy buff, but it does make me wonder.

You're not alone in that...

When AA first introduced Direct Deposit they touted it as a benefit they were offering us, not as a cost savings for them, then on top of that they tried to see if we would pay them a fee for the connivence in addition to the savings they would see.

Jesus... Really?!

When I worked at YV a million years ago, we didn't have a choice. They just stopped issuing "regular" checks. At NW, they made it almost too easy not to switch to direct deposit; especially since I was moving a lot beck then...

AA did charge crews for access to sabre, until workarounds evolved and made it a moot point.

AA Charges for nonrev travel are much higher than US, and apparently everyone else

fwiw

How much does it cost to nonrev on AA? Do they charge an annual fee like DL, or is it just higher "per leg" costs?

Latest posts