Pay to see your own schedule (The America West way of doing business)

Kev, it's mileage based. Lower for coach and increases for business and first. International is more as well. However, after 5 years, it is free coach domestic. After 25 years it is free coach international and discounted everywhere else. I.E. domestic first is like half price after 25 years. International first and business are also cheaper after 25 years. More or less, they take the coach charge and minus that from the first and business charge to get the 25 year price. It works, could be better. I don't travel much on AA since I live in an after thought city. I'm on other carriers which are free anyway. Seems like an ok system. People have choices of prices to pay and you get charged only for what you use. Also, everyone one of your eligible family members flies at the same rate as the employee.

Back on topic,
IRRC companies loved to send checks as there was a period (5-7 days?) that checks where not likely cashed.
When there was actual interest :p :p, the company would pocket the interest.
Now, the cost benefit analysis is mute as there is little benefit to gain interest as there is the cost savings to print and mail checks (overhead).
When interest exceeds overhead, look for your checks in the mail... :p :p
B) xUT

Kev, it's mileage based. Lower for coach and increases for business and first. International is more as well. However, after 5 years, it is free coach domestic. After 25 years it is free coach international and discounted everywhere else. I.E. domestic first is like half price after 25 years. International first and business are also cheaper after 25 years. More or less, they take the coach charge and minus that from the first and business charge to get the 25 year price. It works, could be better. I don't travel much on AA since I live in an after thought city. I'm on other carriers which are free anyway. Seems like an ok system. People have choices of prices to pay and you get charged only for what you use. Also, everyone one of your eligible family members flies at the same rate as the employee.
While it is free per the airline, still a nice chunk of change from fee's and taxes.
This is one way (LHR-DFW) for my spouse. Could be worse though, agreed.
Total (U.S. Dollars) $173.60

AA Charges for nonrev travel are much higher than US, and apparently everyone else

fwiw

On the upside...there is no charge for making the non-rev reservation, and the chances of getting on an airplane are slim to none--especially in First or Business; so, we rarely see that non-rev deduction from our paychecks. :lol:

(Unless, of course, you want to go to the ski resorts in the Summer, and the beach in the dead of winter.)

Please, keep in mind that I was not talking about a benefit here. Travel privileges are a benefit, and as far as I am concerned, a company has the right to take away all benefits to all employees. In fact, British Airways did that shortly with their cabin crew, when they were striking.

What I am referring to here, is a basic tool, for employees to be able to manage their day to day business with the company. One that could be offered, with the company absorbing the associated cost, but because it is America West, they do not.

For most crew members working in the USA, being that the USA relies heavily on permanent reserve crew members, it is a necessity to have access to the scheduling system. Most decent companies offer this access for free. In fact, some companies, up until recently, due to union demands, had to even provide beepers to their crew members, as the opinion was such, that if the company needed to try to get in touch with a reserve crew member, then they better supply a way to contact them, thus the beeper (believe it or not, as outdated that this device is). Having a personal Cell phone number on file, was not a means or excuse for the company to try to reach that crew member, and they were actually banned from trying to reach them on those.

You will find though, in your cultural shock, once you deal with America West management, that they have lowered the bar, where no-one else has before. If you came from a normal company, (hell, even a cheap-ass regional one) and went to US Airways (onto the America West side of things), all these things that you expect from a decent company, are no longer there. And this goes even as far as communicating to new-hires certain rules for vacation and how to bid for them, with the hopes that you miss the deadline for requesting it. This way they can wash their hands off having to pay for vacations, and say "too bad that all of you didn't know," "we know we fucked you over, and we love it.... and there is nothing you can do about it.."

Expect, first off, that nothing has changed with AWA management; second, that they have already imported some of that hostile ghetto style to US Airways east; and third, that they wont hesitate bringing this charm over to American Airlines.

Again, I say, if they figure out a way for you to pay for stuff, they will.
You already pay for your Uniforms as a F/A (that's become the norm in the industry)
With AWA, you pay for access to your schedule from home. It's free on company terminals.
In the days of cash transactions, I worked for one that provided $40 change, so that you (Should) always have change ready for the customers. At America West, it was expected that you carry change of your own, and that you be ready to provide change to a customer, when there was a transaction on board.

If AWA management can figure out a way to make you pay for your manual, they will.

America West gave flight attendants their first contract in 1999, and as a condition of that contract, F/As had to give up crew meals.
US Airways West F/A.s (America West) finally got a much needed pay-raise. How was this funded? By stripping away vacation.

Funny then I guess an AA mechanic cant go anywhere since the US mechanics make more than them.

You're right, they probably can't.
And yes, US is making more than AA; who is in bankruptcy, and made more than US from 2001-2012. But yeah, US is making a *little* bit more than them now.

On the upside...there is no charge for making the non-rev reservation, and the chances of getting on an airplane are slim to none--especially in First or Business; so, we rarely see that non-rev deduction from our paychecks. :lol:

(Unless, of course, you want to go to the ski resorts in the Summer, and the beach a beach in New England in the dead of winter.)

Fixed it for ya. :)

Funny then I guess an AA mechanic cant go anywhere since the US mechanics make more than them.
Not funny, pretty sad, and you want to see the two worst paying carriers combine and form a super-single-carrier and the two worst performing unions form an alliance that will leave the workforce split between two poorly performing unions where the Unions pick the leaders and negotiators not the members. You claim to be a Union Man yet you don't see a problem with all that? Thats just as sad as AA and US workers who have a benefit they cant afford to use. Whats really pathetic is your response to how bad you guys still are, 11 years after US went into C-11is that you are a pubic hair ahead of AA who is still in BK. UA and DL who also went C-11, after US, are way, way ahead of US, both went through mergers as well yet you come here and make excuses and justify the management is screwing workers at US and the IAM is doing nothing about it.

US filed twice the second one was 11/2004, thats only nine years and we have been in negotiations for two years and have asked back in May to be released and the board hasnt answered either way.

US filed twice the second one was 11/2004, thats only nine years and we have been in negotiations for two years and have asked back in May to be released and the board hasnt answered either way.

Yeah. $36/hr -on the table-, with full sick pay and $104 multiplier. So, still behind UA, DL, AS, WN; and that's on the table. Good work.

Its a bridge agreement, till the JCBA talks start. And you still have to remember US is still the 5th largest airline, its not merged yet.

Latest posts

Back