Pet Peeve

The animal must remain in the container under the seat in front of the customer at all times during the flight.
This week I sat in a row with a lady carrying an animal. FA said it needs to go under the seat. Passenger just ignored him and kept it on her lap the whole flight. FAs walked by a few times and looked the other way.

I have traveled with ferrets several times - they stay in thier carrier and under the seat. They bother no one and don't make a sound. More than I can say for children.

Ever sit next to kids crying the whole way across a transcon flight? Talk about banning issues!!!! Parents who have uncontrolable kids should not be flying to punish the entire flight. I just got back from a trip and sat next to a passenger with a pet I didnt know she even had one till we landed. Well behaved little dog and the owner was well dressed and very good looking young lady. I'll take a pet over those screaming kids any day!

This week I sat in a row with a lady carrying an animal. FA said it needs to go under the seat. Passenger just ignored him and kept it on her lap the whole flight. FAs walked by a few times and looked the other way.

A while back I was nonreving and a f/a who was also nonreving had her pet out of the carrier and was holding it and then one of the f/as working the flight came over to see it and held it a while and then they passed it to another f/a commuting on the same flight. They were just going crazy over her dog.

Ever sit next to kids crying the whole way across a transcon flight? I just got back from a trip and sat next to a passenger with a pet I didnt know she even had one till we landed. Well behaved little dog and the owner was well dressed and very good looking young lady. I'll take a pet over those screaming kids any day!
That must have been me. I'm a f/a who travels with my pet all the time. No one ever knows and I would never take her out of her bag-not at the gate and definitely not on the plane. As for a f/a who ignores passengers not following policy when that impacts other passengers, well-that's just wrong!

Any flight attendant who has ever had to chase down a dog or cat on the a/c because their owner went to sleep with the carrier open, or has had the animal do their business on the carpet or in the carrier and had it smell up the enitre cabin, or has had a passenger start wheezing because they are allergic to the cat that is out of it's carrier 3 rows back will understand the concept of why we need to keep the animals in their carriers. I have personally had each of these situations happen. I had one flight attendant take a passengers dog out of the open carrier, pet it and then put it back...leaving the carrier open. When the dog got loose she wanted me to help find it. I told her I was sorry, but I don't crawl around on the floor in my dress....she could find it on her own.
Then there was the young couple who attempted to board an a/c with their large birds on their shoulders. Gate agents stopped them at the jetway door, discovered they had not even paid the pet fee and denied them boarding when they refused to pay the fee and put the birds in their carriers. They went to pac services to complain and while "camped out" refusing to leave when they couldn't get their way, the birds did their business all over the floor in front of the counter. What a mess.

I am a HUGE animal lover....but I absolutely hate having cabin pets onboard anymore. It's gotten to the point that when I do have a passenger who doesn't take the animal out of the carrier I actually thank them as they deplane, because it is so rare anymore. When we charged $50. and asked for all the vets papers,etc. it wasn't so bad, but now that the fee is up to $80. each way people seem to think they are "entitled" to do as they please since they paid so much...sometimes paying as much as their own ticket cost.

Oh, and the only way to know if you have a cabin pet onboard anymore is to look at the name list under "c" for cabin pet or "p" for pet in cabin. It doesn't show up on the special services portion anymore.

I love animals. And I find that more than a few f/a's get their panties in a sling over them as well.

Now that doesn't mean the pax aren't pushing the envelope....they are. And they always have. What I see is an over reaction on the part of the f/a's. And the inability of some f/a's to make it clear to the pax what the rules are.

I have this issue come up almost every trip I work.

I don't think we should prevent people from taking their pets on the aircraft but it might be a good idea to prevent people from bringing their pets if they have been a problem in the past.

You are right on the point!! It is not the pet that is a problem but the owners that can't follow the rules. Don't punish those that do because of the ones that will not.

I worked 6 days over the holidays and I had 3 pet incidents.

1st woman had a chihuahua that was a "service" animal. Give me a break. Anyways, she had her 12 yr old lapchild in the seatbelt with her so I leaned in to be discreet and the lil dog almost bite me. What kinda service animal almost bites someone. Bother way, I have a chihuahua and I love them so im not being prejudice.

2nd one was holding the dog like a baby. It was a dachsund and "couldnt fit in the carrier bc it was too long". Again, why do you have it on the plane trying to squeeze it into the carrier and torturing it. All of the crew told her to put it away. Walk by 10 mins later and see a little boy with his fingers between the seat and I see the dogs teeth.I say "ok, time to put the dog away. Company policy..falling on deaf ears...and I get a "well Merry Christmas to you" What does that have to do with it..

3rd woman was none other then a republic pilots wife. He took jumpseat and she had 2 dogs in the cabin. Where do you put the other when you only have space for one under the seat? Well, between your legs of course. I tell her that it cant be there and informed the almighty "A", you take the postion you deal with it if they are told mulitple times and dont get it. Pax, actually non rev, starts asking people around her if she can put it under their seat and everyone around her says no. Finally 2 rows up, someone takes the dog. During flight she gets it back and starts letting them both out. We tell her AGAIN and at this point 2 pax are getting upset. Then, best of all she says to the "A" can you believe it they are brother and sister and they look nothing alike. SHe was cukoo for cocoa puffs.
We put it in her PNR. Sorry put nonrevs should know better.

I do not have a problem with animals in the cabin but they should follow the correct procedures. Whats next checking those strollers for dogs at the gate?

Keep them in the damm carrier or I'll smother them with one of our dirty pillows.
you need help and have anger isues, now you want to harm house pets...someone call the SPCA ...you need to really think about calling EAP...

What are your thoughts on pets in the cabin?

Here is a letter that was recently written by one of our F/As to AFA:

Bob, I have already written to ask inflight numerous times this year about this and I actually spoke with Kurt on the phone today, but I wanted to send you an email as well since you're my favorite and I love you to death (How's that for buttering you up!). I have had more problems with pets this year and it seems it is becoming worse. I won't even go into that "emotional well being animal" rule, what crap. I have seen pets on laps, asleep on chests, growling and barking at me and others, in and out of carriers some that are faux purses. I guess it's the Paris Hilton effect. Our aircraft have become out of control kennels. I even had a first class pax hold his "baby" over the first class toilet so he could urinate. When that didn't work, he placed a pee pad on the floor with the door open (he asked me if he could do this in the galley) and told his baby, "come on precious, potty for Daddy." I do not make this up. Anyway Bob, its crazy out of control. Now listen, I have a dog and I am a huge dog lover, but our policy is either not working, or the rules are not being stressed, or reviewed enough before they board. I don't even believe an agent boarding could tell, because the bags they use don't look like dog carriers. I have spoken with numerous fa's and we are all noticing the problem growing, especially this year. Maybe we need to revisit the policy before someone gets hurt or bitten. Can we just not allow pets at all? That would truly solve this issue.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and I hope to see you soon.

R.S. #xxxxx DCA

It starts in the terminal and is carried on at the gate. These "responsible" pet owners refuse to take responsibility for their beloved pet. Urinating and crapping are not out of the question. Somehow their flea mutts aren't good enough for cargo, so they have to annoy passengers and flight attendants alike. They forget that some suffer allergies from dander. Their pesky pets are just accessories used to annoy the rest of us. Start charging lots and lots of money for bringing these health code violators in the cabin rather than in the cargo.

Dogs, cats, birds, rats, snakes and ALL critters(big and small) should fly in the fuselage or be shipped via cargo. A better thought is to leave them home or in a kennel, because humans matter more than animals! That's right I said it so shoot me!!!

you need help and have anger isues, now you want to harm house pets...someone call the SPCA ...you need to really think about calling EAP...

Come here, I'll smother the bull. Aren't you a pilot now, maybe you can fly away before I get you! Or are you a veteranarian now, or a magical fairy princess?