PHL expansion

Airlines have skin in the game they pay for almost everything.
Every major airport in America is a huge cash cow for the cities.

Instead of running your mouth, care to support the comment with some factual data? If Airports are like toll brifges they only become real live money makers after the bonds are paid.

The delays will probably start piling up in CLT again in March...18L goes through a partial rehab, plans are to displace the 18L threshold south of 23 while they repave the north end...I also heard they plan on making 5 a LAHSO runway during the rehab..yikes, or course that is subject to change..

At least operations are to the north over half the time so all three runways will be available then, 36 right will effectively just be shorter. Runway 5 is only used at night during the curfew and the other runways are available if needed for operational reasons. The only big difference should be when instrument approaches are in use landing south since I doubt they'd go to the trouble of relocating the glideslope antenna for 18L for a relatively short period of time.

Jim

The benefit of another parallel runway is the ability to do simultaneous landings, which is a huge benefit in irregular ops. DFW, ORD, ATL, MIA, DEN, SFO are a few that come to mind with similar benefits. The long term benefits are there.

SFO has the same problem as PHL; parallel runways too close together to allow for dual use when the visibility is poor. And that can happen a lot. For years, there has been a proposal build a new 28/10 runway on landfill in the bay, but there are serious environmental concerns. SF Bay already has a great deal of landfill.

http://crankyflier.com/2010/10/14/san-franciscos-fog-and-runway-problems-give-the-airport-a-dubious-honor/

Pop quiz. Which major airport had the worst on time performance in August? JFK? Nah. Newark? Nope. Chicago? Bzzt. Atlanta? Nyet. Give up? It’s San Francisco. Really.

You would think that the airports that get pounded by thunderstorms all summer would be the ones that rank at the bottom, so it’s even more surprising that San Francisco sits below everyone else by a fair margin. There wasn’t a single drop of rain the entire month at the airport. San Francisco saw only 70.2 percent of flights arrive within 15 minutes of schedule in August. The next worst was Miami at 75.9 percent and then LaGuardia at 76.4 percent. So what gives?

So. like PHL, SFO will not see a new runway for a long time, if ever. But at least it does not share PHL's air space constraints.

So what gives?[/i]

I think cranky lost his glasses. Or maybe he used someone like FlightStats which only gets touchdown time and assumes gate arrival time from that. For August, all three NYC airports retained their titles as being the worst for on-time arrivals according to the DOT. SFO has a 72.2% OT rating.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
I think cranky lost his glasses. Or maybe he used someone like FlightStats which only gets touchdown time and assumes gate arrival time from that. For August, all three NYC airports retained their titles as being the worst for on-time arrivals according to the DOT. SFO has a 72.2% OT rating.

Jim

Shirly posted an Oct 2010 blog from Cranky that referenced only Aug 2010 stats. Hardly a comprehensive, scientific comparison.

While it's true that one month's data paints doesn't a complete picture paint, Cranky didn't even get August right. SFO had better on-time performance than all three NYC airports that month, contrary to what he wrote.

Jim

Month to month may vary, bur SFO still gets flow control all too often. My pint in bring up SFO i is that dear pole Philly is not alone in having capacity problems when the visibility goes down.

This is very similar to STL. The parallel configuration on one side of the ramp made for inefficient runway crossing issues. They paid many many millions to condemn houses and build a new runway only to have their primary tenant move out.

This is very similar to STL. The parallel configuration on one side of the ramp made for inefficient runway crossing issues. They paid many many millions to condemn houses and build a new runway only to have their primary tenant move out.
and, the primary "tenant" who moved out of PHL was who?

Sniffing haboob just a little too much?

and, the primary "tenant" who moved out of PHL was who?

Possibly LCC after the AMR merger???

Unlike STL, however, PHL is the 5th largest metropolitan area in the country behind only NYC, LA, Chicago and Houston. I would even argue that its East coast position makes it yet more attractive than Houston for the European traffic it can generate from the Eastern US.

If US goes running, someone will fill the void because the demand is there. US wouldn't have built it up so much over the years, and they're not going redirect all shiny new 330's and forthcoming 350's to CLT or PHX. STL, PIT, CVG, CLE, etc. were all great as mid continent (or close to it) connecting hubs when the economics allowed it. But PHL could always hold it's own as an O&D airport.

Well it appears there May be another player to help pay the expansion bills - Virgin America

LAX - PHL 2 Daily eff 04APR12
SFO - PHL 1 Daily eff 10APR12

Reactions: 1 person