Phl Takes Back 2 Gates

WNjetdoc,

One thing for sure. WN management has shown a knack for making things work. If these 2 gates do, if fact, go to WN I'm sure that this will be no exception.

Besides, there may be lots of gates available on B & C before too long and the "problem" will be moot.

Jim

I might be mistaken, but I don't think that WN's focus in PHL is on connecting passengers at PHL, so contiguous gate space might not be so important.

And in any event, for a long time now, AA's JFK pax have had to put up with 2 separate terminals. AA's now-closed MIA upper E gates (accessed by tram and separate security checkpoint) also demonstrate that connecting traffic can be forced to clear security a second time.

WNjetdoc said:
Actually what they did was build a temporary connecting walkway that was outside of security.
[post="185929"][/post]​

Was that available when they first opened B? Being directed to the wrong concourse by the counter agent and then going through a second security check is my memory.

Back between 1998 and 2000, I remember having to clear security between the B & C Piers at BWI when making connections on Southwest. I haven't been on Southwest since summer 2000 so I couldn't tell you when they built the connection between B & C. (It's too hard to get to MHT or PVD when car-free, and BOS fares have gotten more reasonable since 9/11). Remember that clearing security wasn't quite the ordeal it currently is back then. And WN used to be split between the A and C Concourses at HOU; they kept the old TranStar gates at the end of HOU's C Concourse. I'm not sure if they've moved everything into the new Central Concourse at HOU but it sure looks nice from the terminal and tarmac.

Actually, back in the 1980's, the two halves of Terminal C at IAH had separate security checkpoints (at the ends of the bridges over the terminal roadways). And MIA's E Satellite used to be a royal pain-in-the-tail when making connections on AA.

But it's true -- WN relies far less on connections than the network carriers, so having a few passengers re-clearing security probably isn't a big deterrent in the short term. How tough is it to get from Terminal D to Terminal E on the landside?

Since I hate starting new topics...

With the new schedule as of 10/31, it appears that Southwest is using at least one of US's old gates in Terminal D. From the PHL flight info page, it appears they've had at least a couple of flights at D2 today.

sfb said:
Since I hate starting new topics...

With the new schedule as of 10/31, it appears that Southwest is using at least one of US's old gates in Terminal D. From the PHL flight info page, it appears they've had at least a couple of flights at D2 today.
[post="197168"][/post]​

I jumpseated out of E last night and Southwest had a list of flights that were departing from D posted at E security.

Back