Yellow Gate Valet Tags

Oh I almost forgot. I'm not quite sure what management has told you the procedure is regarding CREW luggage but we as flight attendants are NOT permitted to be outside on the ramp. That included the footprint of the aircraft as well. I didn't make it policy but our POLICY states that a deadheadiing crew members bag is to be green tagged and brought back up the jetway at the next station. If our bags were sent to baggage claim how in hell would we be able to get from the deadhead flight to the live leg we're going to work if we had to go to baggage claim "like everybody else"? I'm sorry they are making you carry the bags up but that is what they want. I sure in hell won't be getting my fine from the FAA any time soon. This is something that really needs looking into then if this is such a big deal in ALL stations it seems. Isom are you here?

This topic made my blood pressure rise about 30 points.

Is it any wonder this airline is quickly going to he11 in a handbasket?

The very people offered the courtesy of valet checked begs, 1st class passengers (remember, no more storage space etc), deadheading crewmembers (yes for go7 sakes read the memo), passenger personal wheelchairs and strollers, are the very items that DON'T reappear once all of the passengers have deplaned and you are waiting and waiting and waiting for someone to show up in the jetway to explain our ineptitude.

Tempe, are you listening? crickets chirping................

I cant speak for east side, but the former awa and since the merger the policy has always been to "bring all gate checked bags to the jetway". That is company policy so how is that the west's fault that someone in phl didn't get there bags?

It isn't the West employees' fault. They're doing the job the way they have been trained to do it. The point of my original post is that this is a policy change for the East employees, and apparently it hasn't been communicated to them very well.

The employees on each side are doing the job the way they think they're supposed to be doing it. And they're not psychic. If a procedure changes, somebody should be responsible for making sure that every employee knows about it.

Oh I almost forgot. I'm not quite sure what management has told you the procedure is regarding CREW luggage but we as flight attendants are NOT permitted to be outside on the ramp. That included the footprint of the aircraft as well.

That certainly doesn't stop the F/A's who practically run over the cleaners to get down the jetway steps in search of a smoking area at every stop.

, our boys in PHX are vigilant, but human error is always a factor. Unlike Philly where they throw bags in the river ahhaha! That REEKS of professionalism, honestly.

Human error IS a factor , it's hard to focus when at work when worried about bills and the rising cost of GAS , everything is going up , and it's getting harder to make ends meet .... Then there's the stress of not having a TA and the fear of being forever trapped in the TWU contract . Oh and no i'm not going to quit , you don't jump ship in a recession , so i guess i'll just have to try to focus as hard as i can and hope there isn't too much human error in the future .

I don't mind the First Class claim at gate bags those people paid for that service. All other bags check on the jetway because of no more room in overhead bins either go with the bag runners or to local claim which ever applies. With the exception of strollers and wheelchairs.
If there is any tag on a bag besides the Valet tag that bag cannot be taken up the jetway. Doing so is a security breach. How do we know that bag was carried through security?

W'ell we will see who is whining when I am a deadheading crewmember, and you decide to send my crew bag to baggage claim, and I have a connecting flight to catch!! You will have just cost the airline and yourself another delay because I don't have my bags, and you will have to answer for it!! <_<
Regardless if it is green or yellow, PLEASE bring the backs up, thank you. :)

WTC

The key word here is "Dead heading" people!!! This procedure is the most abused by crew members I have ever seen. These tags are for dead heading Crews only, not commuting crews, or non-rev crews. I am a Lead on the ramp in CLT and I have seen this procedure abused first hand many times by flight attendants and pilots. The other day a pilot and his son, who were clearly non-reving (the pilot was in civilian clothes) were on the jet-way waiting to get on. The pilot reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out a Valet tag and proceeded to put it on his and his son's bag. This tag is only intended for specific uses. In fact they are written on the tags themselves, if anyone has ever bothered to look. Non-reving is not one of them, whether you're a crew member or not. If they are for all employees who are non-reving, then I will happily be asking for one myself the next time I fly.

I make it a point to be on the jet-way before departure time and make sure that all the bags that have the Valet tag on them are indeed suppose to. If not they are going to get a white handwritten tag just like every other non first class paying passenger and non-rev employees. And WTC the next time you or any other crew member decides to stick a Valet tag on your bag when your not DEAD HEADING, you will have to answer for it as well, I will make sure of it. I did not hire on to this company to be your personal BELL-HOP .

bird

The ramp is told to leave the crew bags on the ramp for the crew to retrieve.

Oh really... since I am a flight attendant we don't have no access to the ramp.
So how are we to retrieve our bags...? We are told the ramp will bring up the bags to the jetway.

Sorry 700UW

If a f/a decides to go down below to sneek a puff it's on them if they get caught. With that being said it is policy for deadheading crew to have their bags brought back to the jetway if there is no room in the overhead bins HOW in hell could deadheading crew members go to baggage claim when most often they are running to WORK a live leg? If there are employees breaking policy and abusing the use of these tags they need to be reprimanded but the policy still stands!

I can say we got a memo not 6-7 months back that we are DO NOT have SIDA access and are NOT allowed on the ramp. A crew got in a butt load of trouble for trying to get thier bags. I would love to get my own bag but can't! I am not a bellhop on the airplane and don't expect others to be mine. How do the rampers think my bags will get to me. If I could cross my arms and blink my bags to the jetway I would not be working here!
View attachment 7024

WTC

The key word here is "Dead heading" people!!! This procedure is the most abused by crew members I have ever seen. These tags are for dead heading Crews only, not commuting crews, or non-rev crews. I am a Lead on the ramp in CLT and I have seen this procedure abused first hand many times by flight attendants and pilots. The other day a pilot and his son, who were clearly non-reving (the pilot was in civilian clothes) were on the jet-way waiting to get on. The pilot reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out a Valet tag and proceeded to put it on his and his son's bag. This tag is only intended for specific uses. In fact they are written on the tags themselves, if anyone has ever bothered to look. Non-reving is not one of them, whether you're a crew member or not. If they are for all employees who are non-reving, then I will happily be asking for one myself the next time I fly.

I make it a point to be on the jet-way before departure time and make sure that all the bags that have the Valet tag on them are indeed suppose to. If not they are going to get a white handwritten tag just like every other non first class paying passenger and non-rev employees. And WTC the next time you or any other crew member decides to stick a Valet tag on your bag when your not DEAD HEADING, you will have to answer for it as well, I will make sure of it. I did not hire on to this company to be your personal BELL-HOP .

bird
Well said. I don't mind bringing up a couple of legitimate 'Valet' bags, but like anything else it tends to get abused. Some 'redeyes' have 15-20 of these bags to bring up. It's time consuming and possibly unsafe to bring several bags up the fire escape stairs, not to mention physically demanding. F/a's and gate agents should use more discretion on who gets this service. Would it kill you to give the rampers a break?

WTC

bird
Actually, it does apply to commuting f/a's in uniform. Also, did you mention to the pilot about the tag? No, you didn't. So you are just as at fault. Speak up next time, let him know that he isn't authorized to use the Yellow tags this way.

Well said. I don't mind bringing up a couple of legitimate 'Valet' bags, but like anything else it tends to get abused. Some 'redeyes' have 15-20 of these bags to bring up. It's time consuming and possibly unsafe to bring several bags up the fire escape stairs, not to mention physically demanding. F/a's and gate agents should use more discretion on who gets this service. Would it kill you to give the rampers a break?

Interesting response.

The company unilaterally ( I presume) changed your job description (by cutting out cabin bag storage) as a ramper and you appeal to your fellow employees to "help you out"?

There are many ways to tell Tempe to stick it. Helping them out with their patently bad decisions is one way to guarantee eventual failure. Do it right and I bet you could have a lot of different employee groups helping you out.

Human error IS a factor , it's hard to focus when at work when worried about bills and the rising cost of GAS , everything is going up , and it's getting harder to make ends meet .... Then there's the stress of not having a TA and the fear of being forever trapped in the TWU contract . Oh and no i'm not going to quit , you don't jump ship in a recession , so i guess i'll just have to try to focus as hard as i can and hope there isn't too much human error in the future .

Haha! Right? :up:

Too bad that note about the "choice in airlines" that was supposed to go into Doug Parkers bag didn't make it. Maybe we should have a few more copies on hand just in case he makes o ne of his un-announced trips through again. :lol:

Latest posts