700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Phoenix man charged with assaulting 2 flight attendants
Jane Larson
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 11, 2007 04:12 PM

A Phoenix man has been charged with assaulting two flight attendants on a US Airways flight to Baltimore.

Bryan Leon Spann, 34, was being held Sunday at Anne Arundel County Detention Center on $15,000 bail, said Cpl. Jonathan Green of the Maryland Transportation Authority police.

Spann was charged with disorderly conduct and two counts of second-degree assault. The FBI is also considering charges against him, Green said. advertisement
Alcohol is believed to have been a factor in the incident.

Green said Spann became disorderly on Saturday on US Airways Flight 81 from Phoenix to Thurgood Marshall Baltimore-Washington International Airport. He reportedly slapped a male and a female flight attendant before crew members restrained him with flexible handcuffs.

The plane landed as scheduled around 4 p.m., and transportation authority police carried Spann off the plane. The flight attendants declined emergency medical attention, Green said.

Phoenix man charged with assaulting 2 flight attendants
Jane Larson
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 11, 2007 04:12 PM

A Phoenix man has been charged with assaulting two flight attendants on a US Airways flight to Baltimore.

Bryan Leon Spann, 34, was being held Sunday at Anne Arundel County Detention Center on $15,000 bail, said Cpl. Jonathan Green of the Maryland Transportation Authority police.

Spann was charged with disorderly conduct and two counts of second-degree assault. The FBI is also considering charges against him, Green said. advertisement

Green said Spann became disorderly on Saturday on US Airways Flight 81 from Phoenix to Thurgood Marshall Baltimore-Washington International Airport. He reportedly slapped a male and a female flight attendant before crew members restrained him with flexible handcuffs.

The plane landed as scheduled around 4 p.m., and transportation authority police carried Spann off the plane. The flight attendants declined emergency medical attention, Green said.
That is totally NOT Called for. When will people learn to behave. Or is idiot more appropriate. Thank God that none of the FA's were injured.

sky high states: I had an passenger removed during boarding recently. Reeked of alcohol, bloodshot eyes, swayed alittle. Wanted NO PART of him. I had to remind the gate agent that it was an FEDERAL AVIATION REGULATION. :up:

only stating opinions.

sky high states: I had an passenger removed during boarding recently. Reeked of alcohol, bloodshot eyes, swayed alittle. Wanted NO PART of him. I had to remind the gate agent that it was an FEDERAL AVIATION REGULATION. :up:
only stating opinions.

Rather bold of you to have Mr. Parker removed during boarding, no less!

Define "reeked of Alcohol"??

Right now I will guarantee that I "Reek" of booze, the question is am I visibly intoxicated?

I'm one of those guys who can have one drink or 10 and smell the same.

Having said all of that there is no excuse for this persons actions.

Piney,

I'd recommend trying a Vodka Febreze, but I enjoy your posts.

Right now I will guarantee that I "Reek" of booze, the question is am I visibly intoxicated?

Bob, I assure you of two things. One is had you boarded one of my flights reeking of booze I would have discussed the matter with the Captain and you would have likely been invited to leave the plane. Your desire to drink would not have trumped my desire to follow the FAA regulations and keep my job. If the Captain had not agreed with me I would have declined to fly the leg because if I felt the problem bad enough to warrant not allowing you to fly any decision to allow you to fly would not have been something I would have gone along with.

Two, by this point in time any FA who chooses not to serve you booze or to cut you off will never have any disciplinary action taken against them. Why? Between you posting your identity and alcohol consumption habits you have provided any FA with all the defense they would need to justify their actions.

Piney, most people don't reek of alcohol until they are intoxicated. Having beer breath isn't exactly reeking. A person who had one beer reeks, only if they haven't had a bath since their last load which was probably the night before. In this case, I would think he pulled an alnighter, along with some help. Having 1 compared to 10 beers, people generally won't reek, unless the person is sloppy and careless. I used to drink alot and it took me about 10 beers to wake-up.

Back in 1999, I was flying SFO-PHL-BWI. The SFO-PHL flight got cancelled at 1:30pm, they offered me a red eye nonstop to BWI. So instead of going back to San Jose, I stayed at the airport. Mostly at the bar out near the round part of the old terminal. I stayed there for 7 hours drinking beer, I forget what my credit card was charged. I boarded the plane at aout 9:15p for a 9:30p departure. I had the aisle emergency row. I got that assigned to me when they rebooked me, the only way that I would take a red-eye. I got on went to my seat, buckled up. The FA came over to me and said I can't sit in that row, being intoxicated. She said there was an entire row that I could have. I complained abit but I did move to the row they wanted me. I buckled myself back in and we took off, then I passed out. They woke me up for landing at BWI. I woke up sober, and upon departing the plane, I apologized to the two F/A's and I admitted that they did the correct thing and I understood them fully. That was the last time that I drank before and during a flight. They could have kicked me off the plane, and I would have been upset at the time, but I would have waken up later realizing that I must have deserved it. But They just led me to a row that was totally open, and I appreciate them lovely FA's. So I have all the respect for what the FA must put up with. I know I am basically a Teddy Bear when I get loaded, I just generally get happy.

And again, to those FA's on Feb 1,1999 on the SFO-BWI. THANK YOU!

According to AFA message board. The Male F/A was punched in the eye.
I hope that F/A got a few in before they threw the jerk on the ground. I know I would have. It's called necessary violence, passenger enforcement. It sure isn't your daddy's airline anymore.

I hope that F/A got a few in before they threw the jerk on the ground. I know I would have. It's called necessary violence, passenger enforcement. It sure isn't your daddy's airline anymore.

Probably a few knee marks left in his back also.....

Back in 1999, I was flying SFO-PHL-BWI. The SFO-PHL flight got cancelled at 1:30pm, they offered me a red eye nonstop to BWI. So instead of going back to San Jose, I stayed at the airport. Mostly at the bar out near the round part of the old terminal. I stayed there for 7 hours drinking beer, I forget what my credit card was charged. I boarded the plane at aout 9:15p for a 9:30p departure. I had the aisle emergency row. I got that assigned to me when they rebooked me, the only way that I would take a red-eye. I got on went to my seat, buckled up. The FA came over to me and said I can't sit in that row, being intoxicated. She said there was an entire row that I could have. I complained abit but I did move to the row they wanted me. I buckled myself back in and we took off, then I passed out. They woke me up for landing at BWI. I woke up sober, and upon departing the plane, I apologized to the two F/A's and I admitted that they did the correct thing and I understood them fully. That was the last time that I drank before and during a flight. They could have kicked me off the plane, and I would have been upset at the time, but I would have waken up later realizing that I must have deserved it. But They just led me to a row that was totally open, and I appreciate them lovely FA's. So I have all the respect for what the FA must put up with. I know I am basically a Teddy Bear when I get loaded, I just generally get happy.

I worked a BWI-LAS flight once where the folks in the emergency row by door 2L were found to have brought their own booze onboard well after takeoff and after they had consumed at least half of the supply. So, the booze was obviously confiscated and then we had to move them out of the emergency exit row while in flight. They were unhappy and made sure we knew it, but they accepted moving and that ended the problem. They got their "package" back when they deplaned, but took that one last opportunity to tell them what they thought of us....

Of course, then there was the other notable BWI-LAS flight where I made my one mistake on overserving someone and before the flight was through he and a seatmate went to the lav and applied for the Mile High Club. All four of us gathered in the FC galley and watched them exit from the FC lav.

According to AFA message board. The Male F/A was punched in the eye.

Also according to the same message board, the Company MADE THE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS WORK BACK TO BASE, traumatized and all.

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy working for an airline that cares so much for it's employees. :angry:

Was it a turn or an overnight? The reason I ask is did the crew want off or choose to work?

Was it a turn or an overnight? The reason I ask is did the crew want off or choose to work?

They had an overnight, worked back BWI-LAS-PHX. They should have been replaced (even if they felt at the time that they were OK to work back) and deadheaded home, in my opinion. Sometimes the stress of such an event does not hit (no pun intended here) a person until hours, sometimes days later.