Phoenix

I was wondering that myself. It will always be a junior base.
You think PHX will always be junior? Being the only base close to the West, I think that it will be much more senior once the contracts are put together (no time soon). Beyond that, I could see PHX being more senior than CLT someday, no? Just my thoughts....

IT I have to agree. For the weather and the commuters alone PHX will most likely outpace CLT.

Finally, a relief to the pressure packed bases out East....the longer this takes to integrate the more people want to transfer out West....Funny, years ago PHL was the most junior base....with virtually 1-2 year F/A's holding Carribbean overnites and TransAtlantic overnites....now it's got to be neck in neck with CLT for seniority. I see PHX as becoming the MOST senior base in the system.....just a matter of time! :up: Good news for the average MOE out East and also good news for the Westie that wants to come East! :up:

Finally, a relief to the pressure packed bases out East....the longer this takes to integrate the more people want to transfer out West....Funny, years ago PHL was the most junior base....with virtually 1-2 year F/A's holding Carribbean overnites and TransAtlantic overnites....now it's got to be neck in neck with CLT for seniority. I see PHX as becoming the MOST senior base in the system.....just a matter of time! :up: Good news for the average MOE out East and also good news for the Westie that wants to come East! :up:
Bad news for the West people in PHX, tho. I think it will happen slowly as vacancies open. Although, West FA's quit at a MUCH higher rate than East, probably due to the less than stellar working conditions for new hires (although DP thinks we are doing more than enough to retain "the best"). That said, I think the senior people will be able to move into PHX faster than thought, once we have a merged contract. My guess? 2009 at the earliest.

Where is my faded CHAOS shirt? I better go dig her out....

With tongue, firmly planted in cheek:

You live in Arizona when...

1 You are willing to park 3 blocks away because you found shade.
2. You can open and drive your car without touching the car door or the steering wheel.
3. You can attend any function wearing the "right" shorts and a tank top.
4. You have over 100 recipes for Mexican food.

Ah, some more tid bits...

You notice your car overheating before you drive it.

You no longer associate bridges or rivers with water.

You know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.

You can hear the weather forecast of 115 degrees without flinching.

You can be in the snow, then drive for an hour...and it will be over 100 degrees.

You discover, in July it only takes two fingers to drive your car, because your steering wheel is so hot.

You can make sun tea instantly.

You run your a/c in the middle of winter so you can use your fireplace.

The best parking is determined by shade.....not distance.

You realize that "Valley Fever" isn't a disco dance.

It's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation and yet all the streets are totally empty of both cars and people.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

Sunscreen is sold year round, kept right at the checkout counter.

You put on fresh sunscreen just to go check the mail box.

Some fools will market mini-misters for joggers and some other fools will actually buy them. Worse.....some fools actually try to jog.

You know hot air balloons can't rise because the air temperature is hotter than the air inside the balloon.

No one would dream of putting vinyl inside a car.

You see two trees fighting over a dog.

You can say "Hohokam" and people don't think you're laughing funny

You can pronounce"Saguaro", "Tempe", "San Xavier", "Canyon de Chelly", "Mogollon Rim", and "Cholla"

You can understand the reason for a town named "Why"

You can fry an egg on the hood of a car IN THE MORNING!

You hear people say "but it's a DRY heat!"

You buy salsa by the gallon.

Your Christmas decorations include sand and l00 paper bags.

All of your out-of-state friends start to visit after October but clear out come the end of April.

You think someone driving wearing oven mitts is clever.

You think 60 tons of crushed red rock makes a beautiful yard.

Your house is made of stucco and has a clay tile roof.

Vehicles with open windows have the right-of-way in the summer.

Kids will ask, "What's a mosquito?"

People who have black cars or black upholstery in their car are automatically assumed to be from out of-state or nuts.

You know better than to get into a car with leather seats if you're wearing shorts.

If you haven't worked for Motorola at some time, you must be a newcomer.

You can finish a Big Gulp in 10 minutes and go back for seconds.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Arizona.

I've lived in the phx area for 37 years. I liked it a lot better when it was a small city. It's grown too big....the summers seem worse now due to the heat island affect, especially at night. I would welcome a little cooler, greener climate.

But for whatever reason, anybody and everybody wants to be here, and it is a very senior hub for major airlines.

With tongue, firmly planted in cheek:

You live in Arizona when...

Mostly all true, but the alternative for many is shoveling snow from your car for 30 minutes in the morning. Then, as you leave placing a garbage can in your shoveled spot. Driving go to work on slick and dangerous roads with many idiots going too fast and accidents happening at a far greater rate and your insurance rates reflecting that. Then you drive home at night, find your trash can replaced by someone else's car, and the only place to park your car requires 15-30 minutes more shoveling.

Just to keep an aviation bend on this...planes takeoff and land better on clear dry runways. Also, the warmer weather doesn't require de-icing fluid which, when sprayed in the engines, gets into the cabin of the aircraft. I would venture that isn't entirely healthy either.

Mostly all true, but the alternative for many is shoveling snow from your car for 30 minutes in the morning.
You make it sound like a chore. We cleared our entire cul-de-sac in less than thirty minutes using the John Deere. The kids have been having a blast sleigh riding out back and we will be on our ATVs shortly. Later, we will sit by a fire sipping drinks. :up:

All I question about PHX is how long it can actually survive? Building a huge sprawling (larger in land area than the City of Los Angeles at this point) city in the desert that is dependent upon one single river (that is also being drained dry by LAS and LAX) was perhaps not such a good idea. There is nothing sustainable about it at all. It is predicted that the urban heat island effect will cause nighttime summer temps in PHX metro to hover in the 110F range within the next decade.

If you love southern AZ, it's time to move to Tucson where lawns are against the law and only native species are allowed to be planted. At least they don't pretend they don't live in a desert there.

You make it sound like a chore. We cleared our entire cul-de-sac in less than thirty minutes using the John Deere. The kids have been having a blast sleigh riding out back and we will be on our ATVs shortly. Later, we will sit by a fire sipping drinks. :up:

sounds like paradise :rolleyes:

Latest posts