PHX base shrinking.

<SNIP> That's exactly why we all carry passports! Those crazy Hawaiians...

We flew to MEX before America West came along. I remember working it out of PIT.
When I make it out there some time I’ll see about exchanging some leftover Puerto Rican Pesos for spending money.

I remember one of the MEX trips; a 30 hour 4 day bustass trip!

Geez, you can do that without flying across an entire ocean. Have you been to Miami lately!
That’s what I always told the girlfriend in TPA when she started yappin’ about going on some cruise to an overpriced island ‘o tourists. If you want to go somewhere expensive where nobody speaks English, lets drive over to MIA.

When I make it out there some time I’ll see about exchanging some leftover Puerto Rican Pesos for spending money.

I remember one of the MEX trips; a 30 hour 4 day bustass trip!

That’s what I always told the girlfriend in TPA when she started yappin’ about going on some cruise to an overpriced island ‘o tourists. If you want to go somewhere expensive where nobody speaks English, lets drive over to MIA.

South Beach especially ;) or Little Havana :)

Ok. Think I got it. So LAS/PHX is losing $$; you agree Tempe's statements are true.

PIT, on the other hand, was doing quite well, or maybe just "ok", and they shuttered it like a bad disease to.... make employees and passengers mad. Precisely why WN has gone gangbusters in PIT since US pulled back a few years ago.

Makes sense.
wn went gangbusters in PIT you must have one foot on Jupiter.... no one has expanded Pit operations.. i know i work here... arline spector oh sorry its arlen spector he is the senator for PA oh cant stand us because tack in 1992 they built a multibillion dollar airport for US. well like our CEO times have changed and even though PIT comes up in travel publications as a great airport which it is.. there is no money to be there and wn has not done anything to make pit a focal point in their operation.. they just go into places and say hi we ae here.. well when their fuel hedging to some degree comes to an end guess what and thats the only reason they make money... get with it and deal with it

Good question, as the "OP" implies it is the "base", normally understood as a crew (WCT is a crewmember, I think) domicile.

While there is a one-way linkage to explain his miscommunication, it turns out he is referring to flights, some seasonal. I would think a base (domicile) reduction would be reflected in a bid.
Thank you Sharktooth, you are right, it is reduction of flights, no personel exept pilots and some flight attendants will be furloughed. I don't know how many layoff's occured at the SandCastle.

LAS will shrunk 20% by the end of AUG. PHX is right behind at 10%. Do we want to retreat to the Old US Airways business model with no more BIG West operations?? Scary for US PHX based employees!? Sandcastle protecting there precious GEM, Philly? Even CLT, hasn't lost as many flights for the fall schedule and winter?? What is going on? US Westies have a fight on our hands. Hawaii is taking a back burner too!! :down: Any hopes, PHX will stay a big Powerhouse in the future for US, besides a merger?! :unsure:
History lesson. Republic Airlines expanded west buy merging/buying Hughes Airwest, later retreated. America West and Southwest picked up the slack. America West even leased some facilities.

AA bought Air Cal, later retreated the AirCal routes.; Southwest picked up the slack
US bought PSA, later retreated the PSA routes.; southwest picked up the slack.

See a pattern? Everytime there is a economic downturn, the contraction in service levels in the west. It's a no brainer. The population centers are back east. California alone is not enough to survive.

History lesson. Republic Airlines expanded west buy merging/buying Hughes Airwest, later retreated. America West and Southwest picked up the slack. America West even leased some facilities.

AA bought Air Cal, later retreated the AirCal routes.; Southwest picked up the slack
US bought PSA, later retreated the PSA routes.; southwest picked up the slack.

See a pattern? Everytime there is a economic downturn, the contraction in service levels in the west. It's a no brainer. The population centers are back east. California alone is not enough to survive.

So PHX-F/A, will you be honoring us with your presence in CLT if we ever get a joint contract?

PLEASE?!! :rolleyes: We have heard this over and over! No reach in the West without PHX! Just hope this company doesn't ruin our West base! Competition only between WN and US/old HP here!! The Northeast has plenty to worry about. :rolleyes:

Dont forget DCA LGA Bos.... shuttle bases.... they turn a profit too especially DCA

Dont forget DCA LGA Bos.... shuttle bases.... they turn a profit too especially DCA
What's your point, the east doesn't seem to work by ourselves- after 2 BK's.
DCA is part of the east isn't it?

As far as shrinking- HQ was in the east before the last 2 BKs - HQ is no longer back east.

Perhaps a reverse "Project High Ground"or better yet "Project Run Away-We have No Plan".

Forgot-we can't run away anymore.

What's your point, the east doesn't seem to work by ourselves- after 2 BK's.
DCA is part of the east isn't it?

As far as shrinking- HQ was in the east before the last 2 BKs - HQ is no longer back east.

Perhaps a reverse "Project High Ground"or better yet "Project Run Away-We have No Plan".

Forgot-we can't run away anymore.

It's like watching chicken try to run away with their legs cut off like in the movie Chicken Run.

PHX makes money. perhaps not much, but it does.
No base could possibly be profitable in this environment. None on the east or west. Hopefully with oil prices easing we might have one or two break even at best. Collectively, its a moot point if the whole company is losing money.

Latest posts