PHX base shrinking.

<SNIP> Be proud of your PHX airline, skyrocketed NON REV"S across the system!!!!!! GEE, I wonder WHY??!!!!! :up:
Alaska and Hawaii are the only two states I’ve never been to, although I’ve always done a lot of travelling outside my job at US. I’d really like to visit both places sometime.

I’m travelling right now, but it’s nowhere particularly interesting, kind of like a DC-9 trip.

This post goes out to all the hopeless sinners, and pilferers of obsolete galley supplies.

Piney, I hate YOU!!! Can't you say anything good about US Westies??!!! Do you hate the desert? Tell me something GOOD about the West besides the climate, please?????? :blink: :up: :lol: Stop being so negative! :lol: You know Im kiddin!

It comes as no shock that I am not a big fan of Piney's views ( sorry Piney), but I agree with everthing he said and it is not negative. It is a fact. The West is not making money for the company. Watch the last crew session in PHX and Doug addresses that issue.

I love the Westies and the base. I think it is great, but the fact is you need to cut what is unprofitable. Look at PIT!!!! It was unprofitable and got axed.

As far as competition in the East... Why do you think that is? The East is the BUSIEST in the country. That is where the money is and that is where the competion is going to be. Why do you think SWA is growing there? Why do you think SWA only competion is US in PHX????? Nobody can make money like SWA.

Sorry, but that is fact.

I got very defensive too when people said these things about PIT, but this is the same senerio... sorry WTC.

Heard PHL is expanding to Tel-Aviv. There are 22 non-stop european destinations every day that are filled to the gills. Domestic oversales are over the edge. Our companies major profits come from PHL. Very close to New York, New Jersey, Maryland and Delaware and much easier to park and fly from JFK /EWR/ LGA.

Our company could make a killing if they constructed a new terminal in PHL just for Usairways, including customs and immigration. For now they must deal with the cards dealt. Actually HDQ for our Company should be in PHL and not PHX. It is not cost effective to have to schlep top management to/fro PHL for meetings. Even DCA was a better choice for HDQ. It makes sense and don't be surprised if it happens in the near future.

look it isn't a personal thing just the facts your no reach in the west statement holds no water.
flights leave CLT every day 85 % plus full to LAX ,SFO, SEA LAS, SAN and yes PHX

Philly has long been US number 1 profit center and CLT has one of the lowest airport cost per pax in the industry

fact is CLT is said to be adding flights this fall
CLICK

Alaska and Hawaii are the only two states I’ve never been to, although I’ve always done a lot of travelling outside my job at US. I’d really like to visit both places sometime.

I’m travelling right now, but it’s nowhere particularly interesting, kind of like a DC-9 trip.

This post goes out to all the hopeless sinners, and pilferers of obsolete galley supplies.

Hands down - go to Alaska first - it is changing every year and not for the better. One of the best trips I ever done (and I have non-reved a lot) was a 2 week vacation via rail and then rent a car in Alaska. Amazing scenery.

Hands down - go to Alaska first - it is changing every year and not for the better. One of the best trips I ever done (and I have non-reved a lot) was a 2 week vacation via rail and then rent a car in Alaska. Amazing scenery.

Alasskkkaaahhhhh :) I'm going there for Labor Day Weekend on CO! Assuming YV's College Loans come in because it's an "educational" trip to ANC :)

Is the 10% in flights, or Base personnel?
Good question, as the "OP" implies it is the "base", normally understood as a crew (WCT is a crewmember, I think) domicile.

While there is a one-way linkage to explain his miscommunication, it turns out he is referring to flights, some seasonal. I would think a base (domicile) reduction would be reflected in a bid.

You're correct of wise and mighty cltrat.

Both hubs have been described as marginally profitable by the TACB.

PHL as a hub made money when US was bleeding money like a stuck pig, so it should come as no surprise that the drawdown will be minimal caompared to other hubs.

Wait a minute. I am confused. In many a previous post, you have stated, probably ~1000 times, that we are not to believe one thing that comes out of anyones mouth in Tempe.

Now, the "TACB", as you so eloquently put it, made some comment about profitability and yield in LAS/PHX, and you selectively "choose" to believe them? Suddenly they're right? They know what they are talking about all of a sudden? Talking out both sides of your mouth, I guess.

Reminds me of the "employee friendly" posts you spew, and then chime in with how you can't wait to p### on the grave that is US Airways.
:lol:

Those are some pretty impressive international destinations (sorry, couldn’t resist)

That's exactly why we all carry passports! Those crazy Hawaiians...

We flew to MEX before America West came along. I remember working it out of PIT.

And nonrevving to Hawaii before AWA? I commuted for seven years, HNL-PIT-HNL. How did I manage that?

It is scary to think that PHX will trim down to nothing like SAN, LAX, and SFO. The timing has never been right for us to expand from the West coast to Asia. That would be the only reason I can see for maintaining a major international base on the West. By international, I mean traveling way across the whole Pacific ocean, crossing several time zones, and landing in a place where they may not speak English.

By international, I mean traveling way across the whole Pacific ocean, crossing several time zones, and landing in a place where they may not speak English.

Geez, you can do that without flying across an entire ocean. Have you been to Miami lately!

I don't trust them. But as to profitability of the PHX hub all you have to do is look at HP's performance as a company pre merger to determine that even in the best of times no one was backing up the Brinks truck to haul away HP's profit.

So the information provided to the SEC and their public statements as proof sources it makes it a little different then their pronunciations regarding the situation in PIT which is a glaring example of why they can't be trusted.

Also just because I don't trust them doesn't mean they aren't right. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. :lol:
Ok. Think I got it. So LAS/PHX is losing $$; you agree Tempe's statements are true.

PIT, on the other hand, was doing quite well, or maybe just "ok", and they shuttered it like a bad disease to.... make employees and passengers mad. Precisely why WN has gone gangbusters in PIT since US pulled back a few years ago.

Makes sense.