PHX Hanger Rumors

ChockJockey said:

They'd have to rip out all that asphalt, curbing, fencing, and light fixtures and resurface the whole thing.  On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen that lot used and the city is keen to see more widebody and international service so maybe they'll play ball. 

it was used for a while after i started in 2002 in fact that parking lot across the road was used till recently... the city made us stop using those lots(and the tonto and mohave  lots on the west side because of regulation the FAA had filed 10 years ago,(the city was given ten years to come up with a solution) they dragged their feet for 9.5... so they permanently closed those lots...  it had to do with the FAA RPZ requirements 

so i wonder... i doubt that the FAA will allow ac parked there when they wouldn't let cars park there... 

http://skyharbor.com/pdf/airport-development/Chapters/Chapter_2_Alternatives.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/airports/resources/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.current/documentNumber/150_5300-13 

now the rumors ive heard pop up the last few months was their is talk about buying out the tenants in the hangar west of the Mesa hangar across Runway 26/8(north runway) and then build another hangar there... (directly across from the Juliet line by N1)

But thats an old rumor it pops up occasionally...  But then again that rumor usually gets killed by the even more grandiose rumor that the city wants to build Runways 26R/8L and will use Eminent domain and take out all those businesses on the north side of the airport, but with honeywell over there i dont think they want to lose that business and tax base so i never bought that one... 

And brings the newest rumor i have heard that southwest (ive heard this from a couple people including a friend that works at mesa gateway, but as with all rumors i take it with a large grain of salt) is in talks with Mesa Gateway about moving 50 % of their phx operation to Mesa, and then the city would move the other 50 percent to a rapidly emptying T-3 leaving the  C and D concourses for US Airways/AA operations...  

PHXConx said:

And brings the newest rumor i have heard that southwest (ive heard this from a couple people including a friend that works at mesa gateway, but as with all rumors i take it with a large grain of salt) is in talks with Mesa Gateway about moving 50 % of their phx operation to Mesa, and then the city would move the other 50 percent to a rapidly emptying T-3 leaving the  C and D concourses for US Airways/AA operations...  

I just don't see that one happening... maybe at one time Southwest would avoid the larger cities with their long delays and direct competition to established hub operations and find a nearby airport instead, but Southwest isn't afraid to mix-up in DCA, LAX, DEN, SFO, PHL, DTW, MSP, etc. and I view PHX no differently.  What would AZA offer Southwest?  A less central airport away from the business core of downtown Phoenix and have direct competition with Allegiant's ULCC model?

However, if it did happen, I could only imagine our Brain Trust of managers to leap at the chance to expand operations to the South side irrespective of passenger connections from N1 or running CONX bags nearly out to the hangar around the east side of Terminal 4?   Maybe run the CONX through the basement instead on its  narrow maze of roads which isn't bad enough with just the locals on a heavy complex?

Personally, I am of the school that PHX will see sharp reductions in flights due to the AA merger, so any talk of expanding terminals, additional runways, parking garages and hangars to be little more than wishful thinking.

PHXConx said:
That won't happen. They're looking into expanding the WN hangar, and I tend to agree with jester- I think AA in PHX will see a reduction.

Hey Blue,  first I heard of this expansion of the hangars in PHX.  Great to hear though.  What type of expansion, do you know???

Jester said:

I just don't see that one happening... maybe at one time Southwest would avoid the larger cities with their long delays and direct competition to established hub operations and find a nearby airport instead, but Southwest isn't afraid to mix-up in DCA, LAX, DEN, SFO, PHL, DTW, MSP, etc. and I view PHX no differently.  What would AZA offer Southwest?  A less central airport away from the business core of downtown Phoenix and have direct competition with Allegiant's ULCC model?

However, if it did happen, I could only imagine our Brain Trust of managers to leap at the chance to expand operations to the South side irrespective of passenger connections from N1 or running CONX bags nearly out to the hangar around the east side of Terminal 4?   Maybe run the CONX through the basement instead on its  narrow maze of roads which isn't bad enough with just the locals on a heavy complex?

Personally, I am of the school that PHX will see sharp reductions in flights due to the AA merger, so any talk of expanding terminals, additional runways, parking garages and hangars to be little more than wishful thinking.

blue collar said:
That won't happen. They're looking into expanding the WN hangar, and I tend to agree with jester- I think AA in PHX will see a reduction.

As far as the Mesa Gateway rumor i never put much credence in it other than its something i heard.. from multiple sources two being senior pilots at SWA... 

and if you knew the amount of money the PHX flex operation brings to the company you would know the reduction is a farce.  

Of course i have heard that rumor during the last merger and im sure it will continue through this one.  at this point its just peoples opinions... It didnt make sense for AA to build a SW hub, but with the merger it makes no sense to close it, or even reduce it greatly, there will be reductions in overlap cities  and larger aircraft but that will hit all markets equally.  But we will see in the end wont we... 

Jester said:

Even if it doesnt happen we have already looked at feasibility studies running bags to the south side, because of the eventual building out of S1(thats not really a rumor thats been on the planning books for a while.) and thats supposed to be ours... not swa.. 

now we did "mock" bag runs from n1 to what would be S1 using the roadway west of n1 across the sierra/tango bridge.  we also did it running from international going along the roadway along the romeo taxiway bridge. through swa's operation.  both actually were faster in some instances than going through the basement..  

when/if they build S1 then it would be just like going across the moving walkway at N4/S4 pax would easily be able to cross the void.  

it would take a while for us to re gate the southwest side for our operation and while they were doing that they could build S1 it would be a long term operation. wouldnt just happen over night

but thats the what if part of that rumor as i see it.. 

again disclaimer for anyone about to flame i dont see that as happening... but if it did this is what i would see as how it would happen ...  

swamt said:
Hey Blue,  first I heard of this expansion of the hangars in PHX.  Great to hear though.  What type of expansion, do you know???
All I heard is they're looking to expand them out (deeper) to accommodate an 800.

blue collar said:
All I heard is they're looking to expand them out (deeper) to accommodate an 800.

I read a post on a.net recently (made by someone who should know) saying the apron in front of the hangar is going to be extended northward somewhat with those blast vents being removed or pushed back in order to allow larger narrowbodies to use the pads that are located there.  This may be done within the next few months.

I'm also hearing that many or most of the gates on N1 are going to get reconfigured so as to accommodate more 757's and 737-8's, though one or two gates may have to disappear for this to happen.  Apparently the old AWA 757's are (finally, finally) being retired and the Hawaii routes from PHX will be flown on East metal '57's.

Also hearing rumors about some routes going widebody by the end of the year in PHX, don't know if they're credible or not though.  Like anything, I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: 2 people
Yesterday I heard that they are going to move commissary and gse to another location, and build 2 new hangers so the 800's and possibly the Max could fit in them. the current hangers would be used for hanger ron.

1airborne

Reactions: 1 person
1airborne said:
Yesterday I heard that they are going to move commissary and gse to another location, and build 2 new hangers so the 800's and possibly the Max could fit in them. the current hangers would be used for hanger ron.

1airborne
Aircraft are stored and maintained in HANGARS.

Clothing is placed on HANGERS in your closet.

Reactions: 4 people
The hangar expansion has been in the works since 2012. I belive design was completed in mid-2014 and was ready to bid out for construction, but has been on hold for quite a while. It's come back to life though recently, and once coordination is worked out with CoP construction should move forward. So far the pavement has only been designed to accomodate up to a 757; no request so far from AA to include anything larger. Pads B, C, and D will be able to park 321s and 738s. Parking for Pad E will be restricted to a north entry only as well.

Gate reconfiguration should also be happening this year to coincide with the second phase of the apron replacement job on T4. This actually worked out well for AA since nearly all of the concrete on T4N will be replaced, so moving fuel pits and restriping will be a lot easier and cleaner. Hopefully whoever the contractor is will actually remember to prepare the surface and follow the spec before painting...they did a terrible job with the striping last time.

Reactions: 1 person
Does anyone know when the American Airlines name and logo are going to be put on the bldg?  Any new info on the expansion of the facility or additional info?  Thanks.