Piedmont and PSA folks

aquagreen73s

Veteran
Aug 22, 2005
I was wondering if the Piedmont or PSA folks would care to comment on the following:

(1) as the number of airframes in original Piedmont or PSA colors dwindled down to zero, how hard was it to look at the few remaining airplanes and to not feel sad?

(2) at what point after the integrations started did you stop telling people that you worked for Piedmont or PSA and started saying "US Air"?

(3) what was the atmosphere like the first time you worked with non-Piedmont/PSA employee(s) after the mergers?

1) Non of Piedmont aircraft have been painted...Why feel sad...it was a sadder time when we went from the old Piedmont colors to USAir Colors.

2) Last time I checked we are a part of USAirways Group. So I guess I work for USAirways Group. Why say Piedmont or PSA when you have USAirways all over the place. People are ony going to remember USAirways.

3) The atmosphere has been fine

I think that the post is referring to the "Original" Piedmont & PSA, not the re-named Express carriers. There are NO former PSA A/C left in the fleet at all. There were 31 or 32 MD-80's, and 4 DC-9-30's that have been gone for several years already. On the PI side there are still several in the Fleet. Some of the 737-300's,& 400's along with some of the 767's were former PI A/C. None of the 400's actually had the complete PI colors on them due to the delivery of them coming close to the merger in 1989.
All of the A/C were also re-numbered, so it is hard to tell unless you had a list of converted numbers. As far as telling people that I worked for US instead of PI....I wish that I never had to tell them that line....Now all that I can tell them is that I don't work for an Airline anymore.... :(

(1) 30 MD-80's & 20 BAe-146's. As I recall we only had 2 DC9-30's. The 146's were a maintenance money looser & parked in the desert shortly after the merger (but I sure loved working on them).

(2) Pre-merger I always said I work for PSA & proud of it. Post-merger I just said I'm in the transportation business. Now I just say I'm retired & proud of it.

(3) Wasn't too bad however I stayed in SAN till they closed the hangar, It was the incoming usAir people that got the good-hearted mock harrasment, actually It was the AIRMOTIVE people coming in that got the real harrasment.