Us Airways Group, Inc. To Consolidate Pdt & Alg

USFlyer

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
Press Release Source: US Airways Group, Inc.

US Airways Group, Inc. to Consolidate Piedmont And Allegheny Airline Operations
Wednesday January 14, 11:01 am ET

ARLINGTON, Va., Jan. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways Group, Inc. announced today that it will consolidate the operations of two of its wholly owned subsidiaries, Allegheny Airlines Inc., and Piedmont Airlines Inc., with a target effective date of March 31, 2004.

As part of the transaction, Piedmont Airlines will operate the entire de Havilland Dash-8 fleet. Allegheny and Piedmont currently operate 82 Dash-8s, with 41 flown by Allegheny and 41 flown by Piedmont, but the Dash-8 fleet size will likely decrease as more regional jets are brought into the US Airways Express network.

"We have an ongoing review of every aspect of our business to find ways to operate more efficiently and compete more effectively, and the consolidation of these two carriers will optimize the assets of both companies," said Bruce Ashby, president of US Airways Express. "Turboprop aircraft will still have a role in our network, but it is inefficient to have two wholly owned Dash-8 operators with duplicative overhead functions for a shrinking part of the company. We believe it provides the best outcome for our employees."

Members of the US Airways Express management are meeting today with representatives of the respective organized labor groups for Allegheny and Piedmont to share details of the proposed consolidation.

The preferred option is to merge Allegheny into Piedmont, allowing for the orderly transition of the Allegheny employees into Piedmont.

The other and less-preferred option would be a partial asset transfer to Piedmont, the liquidation of the remaining Allegheny assets, and the shutdown of the Allegheny operation. Ashby said this option can be avoided through the timely conclusion of labor agreements about representation and work rules.

"Our focus is going to be on the orderly consolidation of the two carriers, because that is clearly in the best interest of our employees, customers and shareholders. The timeline is short because we believe it is best to resolve issues quickly so that our employees have a clear understanding of what the future holds for them," said Ashby.

The US Airways Express network comprises nine carriers operating more than 2,000 flights daily, serving nearly 150 destinations in the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean. The three wholly owned subsidiaries are Allegheny Airlines, Piedmont Airlines and PSA Airlines and the affiliate carriers are Air Midwest, Chautauqua Airlines, Colgan Air, Mesa Airlines, Shuttle America and Trans States Airlines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: US Airways Group, Inc.

good they should have done that a long time ago. i think we are headed into the right direction here. now lets hear the rest of the plan.

a320av8r said:
Piedmont takes over Allegheny- Isn't that ironic...
It was obvious that this was going to happen, but wasn't obvious was which of the two would survive.

Given the more business friendly labor laws of North Carolina, Maryland, and the south in general, it probably isn't that huge of a shock.

OTOH, Allegheny was the original USAir. But, I'm not sure that historical antecedants really matter when what is at stake is one's livelihood.

Wonder what the seniority issues are going to look like.

Both airlines' pilots are ALPA.

Allegheny's FAs are AFA. Piedmont's?

In any event, this all makes sense and was the right thing to do.

ITRADE said:
It was obvious that this was going to happen, but wasn't obvious was which of the two would survive.

Given the more business friendly labor laws of North Carolina, Maryland, and the south in general, it probably isn't that huge of a shock.

OTOH, Allegheny was the original USAir. But, I'm not sure that historical antecedants really matter when what is at stake is one's livelihood.
Finally , Something that makes sense for a change,...OTOH ..is this a set-up to make a MESA takeover of W/O Express easier? :blink:

I worked at Allegheny for a while before mainline. I hope all the good people I worked with in Philly and Harrisburg don't get screwed by this. Good luck to all involved.

More like Henson Commuter takes over Pennsylvania/Suburban Commuter......

These commuter airlines are not the Piedmont or Allegheny mainlines that you folks speak of.....

I have to wonder if lumping MAA and PSA into one bag isn't an option ?

2 distinct operations Vs. 4 has got to have some cost saving benefits to it....MAA being in its infancy should make this very simple.

flyin2low said:
More like Henson Commuter takes over Pennsylvania/Suburban Commuter......

These commuter airlines are not the Piedmont or Allegheny mainlines that you folks speak of.....
I realize that, but its the name issue.

Maybe they could call it Piedegheny.

I had the pleasure of working for Allegheny as a agent first in HVN while in my college years and then as a FA based in BWI, before joining the big boys at mainline. I wish all my friends based in MDT,SYR,BGM,SCE, and in LGA the best of luck at Piedmont. I will always look back at those days in HVN working with the Allegheny Shorts 360s,1900s, and Dash8s with great pleasure!

There will not be any seniority issues to deal with. The unions have 10 days to work out merging issies. If they are not worked out Allegheny is gone. Why would any of the Piedmont unions want to add people from Allegheny and possibly loose some of their employees in the process.

The labor laws state wise don't really matter, Alleghany's Agents inside and out are Teamster, not sure about their mechanics, at Piedmont Agents are non-union and mechanics are IAM.

If history follows its past path you will see a union vote at for all groups at the new merged carrier.

I know this would be a benefit for ALG if its a straight across merger since ALG was slated to lose 20something airplanes by the end of 2004. I think that the most junior ALG guy would be about 30 or 40 from the bottom at PDT.

not so good for PDT's bottom pilots.