Us Airways Group, Inc. To Consolidate Pdt & Alg

PineyBob said:
AOG-N-IT said:
Finally , Something that makes sense for a change,...OTOH ..is this a set-up to make a MESA takeover of W/O Express easier? :blink:
AOG,

Explain how it would make a Mesa takeover easier? Labor Cintracts? From the outsiders perch it looks like something that should have been done years ago.

The friendship between Dave S. & Johnathan O notwithstanding what does US gain from having Mesa operate all or a huge part of US Express? This is where I get confused.
Bob,

Labor contracts not withstanding...it could make things easier for MESA by USAirways Group eating the actual cost of intergrating the two parties involved. Don't think for a moment that consolidation of two seperate companies is not going to come with a hefty upfront price tag. The savings will come over time..not overnight. Natural attrition will show a modest benefit within the management / salaried ranks by intregrating the two companies and paperwork trails.

The Aircraft and Crews can be moved at will...that's what they do afterall , but consolidating the actual business side , maintenance facilities and headquarters is going to cost some bucks initially. Mesa/JO would be much more eager to persue a ready-made organization as opposed to what he tried with the aquisition of CCAir.(dba) USairways Express.

JO loves a consolidated operation. They moved all their operations out of Farmington New Mexico to PHX a number of years back....and the cost savings alone on Communications costs was a contributing reason listed at the time.

JO's relationship with Siegel ...and U's long time ambition to rid itself of the W/O's only lends more credence to this posibility...JO will be more excited to do so...if Siegel is eating the cost and headaches of getting under one roof for him in advance.

I still do not rule out JO's ambition to seek more than just wholesale dominance of the USAirways Express end of the eqaution....he is in fact a person to be watched and feared. Having seen what he did to my friends that remained with CCAir until the bitter end , only compounds my concerns for his real desires and motives in life.

JO is a classic example of the old story of "He who dies with the most toys wins" ..and JO is not going to be simply satisfied with the most Regional toys..he's seeking self and industry respect and validation , those are his words paraphrased from articles I've read about the man himself.

a correction

piedmont mx bases are SBY and ROA
they closed ORF in december. no one knows whats going to happen with the hanger usair still has the lease on it as far as I know.

the biggest problem with this merger is ALG will be bringing over approx 360 pilots with less than half of their airplanes. not really a fair bargan for piedmont in terms of playing it out straight.

Light Years said:
Do does this mean Piedmont will be the exclusive turboprop operator, or at least 30 seat operator? Will they get rid of Colgan, Shuttle America, Trans States etc?
Doubt it... It would probably have been easier to void these contracts in Bankruptcy court the way UAL is... Perhaps if a little more time was spent in BK, the company might have considered this... But now, the price to end contracts early is probably too high. Perhaps the company can not renew contracts as they come up for renewal, but I have no idea when that happens.

Light Years said:
Do does this mean Piedmont will be the exclusive turboprop operator, or at least 30 seat operator? Will they get rid of Colgan, Shuttle America, Trans States etc?

I too don't belive so.

Seems Piedmont will Fly all the Dash 8s.... Guess the others will be left to fly the Saabs and the Beechcrafts...At least for the Time Being... You know...Until another PAGE of the new PLAN comes to LIGHT !!!!

The irony of ironies...

I seem to recall on this board and others the very mention of a WO pilot flying for Mesa/JO would result in a mass exodus.

How does it feel now? Your looking into the blackness and seeing the devil himself. Suks, doesn't it? You folks are getting a taste as to what it's like to walk a mile in our shoes. Ask any CCAir pilot what it feels like, or any AirMiddy/Mesa pilot who gave up too much to stop Freedom.

You have no idea how bad this can get. Wonder how many Mesa pilot's welcome you with open arms after years of downright rudeness and arrogance on the WO's part.

So what you gonna do? Tell your wife/kids that you'll quit because now your a contract carrier like all the rest? Can't face your friends/family? become #xxx of xxxx?

Welcome to Mesa He11.

ps. no meal vouchers

the turtle said:
The irony of ironies...

I seem to recall on this board and others the very mention of a WO pilot flying for Mesa/JO would result in a mass exodus.

How does it feel now? Your looking into the blackness and seeing the devil himself. Suks, doesn't it? You folks are getting a taste as to what it's like to walk a mile in our shoes. Ask any CCAir pilot what it feels like, or any AirMiddy/Mesa pilot who gave up too much to stop Freedom.

You have no idea how bad this can get. Wonder how many Mesa pilot's welcome you with open arms after years of downright rudeness and arrogance on the WO's part.

So what you gonna do? Tell your wife/kids that you'll quit because now your a contract carrier like all the rest? Can't face your friends/family? become #xxx of xxxx?

Welcome to Mesa He11.

ps. no meal vouchers

I believe we are talking about the Merger between 2 of out WHOLLY OWNS...

Not Mesa "Eyeballing" U AIR.... I believe that can be found ELSEWHERE !!!

I wish turtle would make a mass exodus with his repeated posts... the same one is on about four different topics? Can you say flooding?

Turtle, didnt you vote for your lousy contract? Youve stolen work from countless other airlines and brought your profession to an all time low. Why are you wishing this on others? If Mesa does purchase them, and thats an IF, at least they didnt choose it... And yes, a lot probably will quit.

Now back on topic, does anyone know how long the contracts are with each Express carrier? I thought I heard they could be given two weeks to get off the property if U so desired, but then I've heard of ten year agreements and such as well. Last summer Dave said he wanted to "rationalize" down to two or three.