Pilot Life Insurance

Bush Bunny

Dec 11, 2003
Just wondering who has life insurance, through whom, and at what price. Many years ago, I flew with a guy who used to sell insurance, he said only one or two companies will underwrite pilots. Is this the case, how have the past couple of years affected this? Is there somewhere better to go than other outfits?

Thanks,

BB

That's really helpfull, but as the other fellow said, anyone with Canadian info? That checklist in PIC doesn't look too helpfull....

Thanks

BB

There is a Cdn company that started up a couple of years ago offering pilot insurance. Can't recall the name right now but I'll try and come up with it.

Thanks,

That was pretty informative. 300K doesn't seem like a lot of coverage however, other occupations seem to be able to collect quite a bit more. The stats said on average 1 ATPL pilot/year dies while on the job in Canada, so what's the problem?

BB

I never looked into what these people have to offer. It's just a link to a Canadian insurance company.

Just spoke with an insurance agent from The Co-operators, he's comming by tomorrow to fill me in on the details.

While on the phone he asked a series of questions trying to determine what category I fit into. Standard rate applies to Airline types, then anything that deviates from that is a penalty, ie, bush work, forestry, aerial application etc. Helicopters are not too bad as long as it's not offshore or heavy lift. Seems to me that offshore is about as safe as it comes isn't it? Anyway, should have more information tomorrow, if I find anything useful, I'll post it here. Not sure whether i should tell him :hide: about my fixed-wing, or rotary... :wacko:

Thanks again,

BB

I went through this a couple years ago. I always had excellent company coverage, so I didn't bother with supplemental; but when I joined Transport I needed some more.

I was looking for $350K, 20-year term, and applied to State Farm (my regular insurers). My wife got the same coverage for $20/mo. She's 30 years old, non-smoker, non-skydiver, blah blah blah. I was 41, and they wanted $169/mo because I USED TO BE a test pilot. Their logic waas that if I did it before, I could do it again. My assurances that I was not interested in this career again fell on deaf ears.

So, I called an old buddy who has an insurance company in North Bay. He found me a polocy with TransAmerica for under $60. Pilot, ex-test pilot, blah blah blah. Filled out the form, got the blood test, and go.

No problem Pratt, I'm in the market for life insurance right now too. But every time these insurance people find out I am a pilot the rate usually triples!!! So off I go looking for another broker. Surely there has to be an insurance underwriter out there that knows flying is safe. :(

Thanks BB, I'd appreciate anything you find out. :)
I'm dealing with the Cooperators on another insuance matter. I've never talked to them about life insurance though.

624, I use them for car insurance too, this afternoon should be informative though. I'll let you know. :wacko:

BB

Back