Pilot Retirement Likely to Increase to 65

FM2436

Veteran
Jan 8, 2003
Some interesting news is beginning to trickle from the FY 2008 DOT Spending Bill Conference Report that includes a provision that the mandatory retirement age for airline pilots will increase from 60 to 65.

mandatory retirement age for airline pilots will increase from 60 to 65.
Oh my!... What will this do to all the "attrition" the East claims is coming their way? :shock:

I guess 5 more years of stagnation and LOA 93. At least the East won't be able to accuse the West of stealing something that isn't even there. :rolleyes:

Oh my!... What will this do to all the "attrition" the East claims is coming their way? :shock:

I guess 5 more years of stagnation and LOA 93. At least the East won't be able to accuse the West of stealing something that isn't even there. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter when the attrition occurs. Next week or 5 years from now but mother nature ensures that it will. DOH takes care of all scenarios.

Doesn't matter when the attrition occurs. Next week or 5 years from now but mother nature ensures that it will. DOH takes care of all scenarios.
Not Exactly.

Must we state the obvious?
What about all the pilots counting on that attrition to save them from LOA93 sometime this decade? I bet they will reconsider which side of the fence they want to sit on with regard to the JNC.

I can see it now... Hmmmm... a huge raise now, or wait 5 more years under LOA93... What should I do??? :rolleyes:

Not Exactly.

What about all the pilots counting on that attrition to save them from LOA93 sometime this decade? I bet they will reconsider which side of the fence they want to sit on with regard to the JNC.

I can see it now... Hmmmm... a huge raise now, or wait 5 more years under LOA93... What should I do??? :rolleyes:

And why does this concern you? Doesnt UAL have their own problems? Get a life. :rolleyes:

If the issue was economic gains, the AWA pilots would relinquish the Nicalou award and yet they wont. It certainly isn't the mantra of "it was binding arbitration." The Wast pilots know what the East pilots know in their head and hearts and what you do as well if you would admit it. Seniority is everything.

Huge raise? 3%?

Plus, the "protected" 517, the only ones to get anything, lose their protections.

Let me see here.

Fly left seat or go back to right for a 3% raise. Yeah, you're making sense. NOT!

Was United scrapping the bottom of the barrel when you got hired?

Huge raise? 3%?

Plus, the "protected" 517, the only ones to get anything, lose their protections.

Let me see here.

Fly left seat or go back to right for a 3% raise. Yeah, you're making sense. NOT!

Was United scrapping the bottom of the barrel when you got hired?

So tell me Shark, how many pilots will be forgoing ANY raise or improvement in their lifestyles while a few hundred pilots on the East upgrade to Captain? Sort of a reverse "B Scale" isn't it. A couple of thousand pilots take one for a couple of hundred. A payback of sorts. The "Revenge of the B Scale" if you will.

The protected 517 only lose their protections when and if Age 60 changes. It is unlikely to change before a joint contract is reached, given the current status and pace of negotiations.

Not Exactly.

Oh 767jetz,
I bet you are pushing for DOH on that United/Delta merger, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Later,
Eye

Some interesting news is beginning to trickle from the FY 2008 DOT Spending Bill Conference Report that includes a provision that the mandatory retirement age for airline pilots will increase from 60 to 65.

Hey jetz........those deltoids are about to #### slap you big boy......I would think you would be gearing up for a nice and civil merger.....

Couldnt happen to a nicer fellow,....good luck....

So tell me Shark, how many pilots will be forgoing ANY raise or improvement in their lifestyles while a few hundred pilots on the East upgrade to Captain? Sort of a reverse "B Scale" isn't it. A couple of thousand pilots take one for a couple of hundred. A payback of sorts. The "Revenge of the B Scale" if you will.

The protected 517 only lose their protections when and if Age 60 changes. It is unlikely to change before a joint contract is reached, given the current status and pace of negotiations.

Ah, an assertion, bolstered by an opinion, to completely miss the point. Amazing. A ready, fire, aim situation.

I'll bet Age 60 goes away well before any kind of joint contract is reached.

and, give up one's seniority for a 3% pay raise? Pulease.

Oh 767jetz,
I bet you are pushing for DOH on that United/Delta merger, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Later,
Eye

They'll be employed and working for a giant of an airline while USAirways continues to reinvent itself as an airline and the pilots burn the house down. Count on it.

Actually, unlike pathetically dense little Alpo puppies like yourself..I've full knowledge that this airline BS ain't the "Be All" in life, and 60's just fine by me. After that little one...seek for me only on ski slopes, delightfull destinations, and...I'll be thinking of you, and the hopefully then dead Alpo...really..I promise I will....rotflmao thice over. :lol:

PS: You ever find, or (gasp) even grow any actual set of stones that'd enable you to accept my far earlier, and always open wager regarding your flying "skills" ? ;) Didn't think so...Where's that ol' fly swatter?

Geez..leave dyspeptic little children unattended for any amount of time and they get mouthy....sigh.

Sharktooth: "Was United scrapping the bottom of the barrel when you got hired?" Be nice now...he's just a precocious little baby...perhaps he'll eventually grow up.

Latest posts