Pilot Whose Gun Went Off Back on Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more East vs. West comment of any kind will result in the thread being closed. Once again, posts have been deleted. Time off has been awarded. Last warning.

A round should be in the chamber if you are going to carry the firearm but it should not have been out of the holster unless it is going to be used. Glad the man got his job back and even happier that he is not going to be carrying a gun.

If the cockpit door were a curtian then yes i could understand a round being in the chamber , but it's NOT ... it's refenforced ....

the time it would take to chamber a round is what , 2 seconds at most ? This is why you don't chamber rounds in your gun ... things like this CAN happen when there's a bullet in the chamber , but they can NEVER happen if that round isn't in there .... safteys sometimes slip ... that's why if your really resposible you don't chamber your round until it's time to fire .

Its not the time, its the muscle memory. If you train one way and then in practical terms act a different, you are going to make stupid clumsy potentially deadly mistakes. In a dangerous situation the last thing you should have to do is rack the weapon.

Its not the time, its the muscle memory. If you train one way and then in practical terms act a different, you are going to make stupid clumsy potentially deadly mistakes. In a dangerous situation the last thing you should have to do is rack the weapon.

By those standards one could aruge that it's too dangerous to keep the saftey on as well ...

pilots are trained to think clearly in difficult situations , not to mention that many of them are X military ....

It's beyond me why anyone would have a round in the chamber behind a locked and reforced door ...

I agree - I have a CCW and carry the weapon with a round chambered - that time spent chambering a round can be the difference between life and death. But you do not display or unholster the gun unless you are going to fire.

By those standards one could aruge that it's too dangerous to keep the saftey on as well ...

It's beyond me why anyone would have a round in the chamber behind a locked and reforced door ...

There are guns that do not have an external safety. If you take a gun out of the holster there should be a reason to use it. In a tense moment you should not be wasting time racking a weapon.

It is beyond me why a pilot needs to carry a weapon.

As some one who is fortunate enough not to live in enough fear to ever think I would need a gun.

It is strange to hear how guns save lives.

This has wandered from the pilot getting his job back--pro and con--to a discussion of gun use. The pilot and US Airways are no longer the topic. For better or worse, the pilot got his job back. If you wish to continue a discussion of gun use, I suggest you start a new thread in the Water Cooler.

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.