Pilots: Age 60 Rule vs. Age 65

Pilots: Do you want the age 60 rule to remain or change to age 65?

• Age 60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Age 65

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TravelDude

Advanced
Nov 21, 2003
Northwest executives, pilots lobby to keep retirement age at 60
The CEO of Northwest Airlines and the head of the Air Line Pilots Association say they oppose a legislative proposal to change the current retirement age for commercial pilots. The proposal would raise the retirement age from 60 to 65.
(Source: American City Business Journals/Memphis)

Another "be careful what you wish for".....

The fence around the widebody flying comes down if Age 65 becomes the law.

Jim

Jim

Jim, looks like age 60 will be gone soon. The Senate attached the text of S 65 into S 1300, FAA Authorization Bill. Section 706. Age 60 is very likely gone within the next year.

Jim
Jim, How many US pilots are there for a Europe flight? I recently traveled DFW-ZRH on AA and they had 1 Captain, 1 Flight Officer and 1 International Relief pilot. Is this customary for all T/A and T/P flights? Joe

Jim, How many US pilots are there for a Europe flight? I recently traveled DFW-ZRH on AA and they had 1 Captain, 1 Flight Officer and 1 International Relief pilot. Is this customary for all T/A and T/P flights? Joe
Basically, yes. I think the longer trans-pacific flights (or TA flights like west coast to Europe) have 2 full crews - usually 2 captains and 2 F/O's. It's dependent on the length of flight, not route.

The makeup of what's called an augmented crew depends on how the airline and it's pilots negotiate it. If the flights long enough that the regs require a relief pilot, the FAA doesn't care whether the crew is made up of 3 captains, 2 captains + a F/O, or a captain + FO + IRO - as long as they're all qualified to sit in either seat. Obviously, the airlines would rather not have 2 or 3 captains because it would cost more.

Jim

Latest posts