Pilots Slam AA With New Billboard

That's because the employees took 25% pay cuts while AA management rewarded themselves with huge bonuses. The employees saved the company, not the managers.

The employee concessions did save the company from bankruptcy, no doubt about it. I also think that management isn't a dumb and useless as many on this board would like to think or portray. As four of the biggest seven US airlines went through Chapter 11 in 2002-2005, AA managed to stay out, keeping its retiree benefits in tact. Again, I credit the employees for taking the hit, but the management team negotiated the concessions, arranged financing and led the company with what was - at the time - a seemingly positive relationship with the entire work force.

Obviously there have been lots of sour grapes on both sides since then, but if you want an example of a management team of stooges and profiteers, UA fits the bill much better than AA.

The employee concessions did save the company from bankruptcy, no doubt about it. I also think that management isn't a dumb and useless as many on this board would like to think or portray. As four of the biggest seven US airlines went through Chapter 11 in 2002-2005, AA managed to stay out, keeping its retiree benefits in tact. Again, I credit the employees for taking the hit, but the management team negotiated the concessions, arranged financing and led the company with what was - at the time - a seemingly positive relationship with the entire work force.

Obviously there have been lots of sour grapes on both sides since then, but if you want an example of a management team of stooges and profiteers, UA fits the bill much better than AA.
I think most would agree that we would take Arpey over Tilton any day of the week.

I wonder how many of those delays are caused by pilots taxing slow, or showing up late for a flight because there commuter flight was late? It's a good thing there is no accountablility at AA, I think some of these professionals would be let go. It's also a good thing that the pilots don't hold themselves to the same high standards as they do to the executives.

As much as I don't like the tactics of the APA.... I've flown a lot over the last two months, and have yet to see a pilot induced delay, or even a TWU induced delay since the mechanics were suspended.

There's the bluster you hear from the likes of Cap'n Lloyd and the union heads, the grumbling you see here on this board, and then there's reality as demonstrated by the other 80+% of the employees... Rarely do the three agree with each other.

As much as I don't like the tactics of the APA.... I've flown a lot over the last two months, and have yet to see a pilot induced delay, or even a TWU induced delay since the mechanics were suspended.

There's the bluster you hear from the likes of Cap'n Lloyd and the union heads, the grumbling you see here on this board, and then there's reality as demonstrated by the other 80+% of the employees... Rarely do the three agree with each other.
t

People are getting WARN letters while APA whines about bonuses. That union has the empathy of a sociopath....

Good News: there will be a resolution.
Bad News: unless the APA and management get their acts together and represent those who pay them, neither will like the outcome.
The down side of no agreement is not pretty.
Is there even a plan to get to the end that avoids bankruptcy (the worst case scenario for both)?

t

People are getting WARN letters while APA whines about bonuses. That union has the empathy of a sociopath....

I agree! Talk about misplace priorities! I may lose my job even before they demand their 50% raise. How many people will lose theirs after APA is done with its shenanigans?! They need to get over themselves, times have changed!

Speaking of pilots, this little gem appeared in The Washington Post over the weekend. I had read somewhere that the pilots had filed a complaint with the DOT about safety at AA, and forgot to post about it.
I read something of this nature a few weeks ago. Seems like the pilots have a bone to pick with maintenance. APA forgets that it is a lot harder to fix an airplane than put up a billboard.

I gather the billboard, complaints, calls for replacement of upper management, etc,. are part of the strategy being used the demonstrate their power and influence, supposedly strengthening the bargaining position and aimed at bringing management to its knees. Does this make sense?
If they are correct in their assessment of upper management, why would upper management give in. They will not benefit from an agreement APA is willing to make. If they make no agreement, they stay as they are longer. If the company slides into bankruptcy, they stay there longer. Is the possible threat of lossing their pensions more important than the definite loss of their jobs?
A new strategy may be needed.

I gather the billboard, complaints, calls for replacement of upper management, etc,. are part of the strategy being used the demonstrate their power and influence, supposedly strengthening the bargaining position and aimed at bringing management to its knees. Does this make sense?
If they are correct in their assessment of upper management, why would upper management give in. They will not benefit from an agreement APA is willing to make. If they make no agreement, they stay as they are longer. If the company slides into bankruptcy, they stay there longer. Is the possible threat of lossing their pensions more important than the definite loss of their jobs?
A new strategy may be needed.
Unfortunately, APA is now being led by a much more radical group than in the past. They have made ludacris promises to their constituents that have no chance of being delivered. This type of bully tactic is all show, in my opinion, and a way to demonstrate to all that APA is a force to be reckoned with. It is sad, however, as there are many pilots out there who do not agree with the manner in which APA is handling their relationship with the company. Not to say that AA hasn't screwed over its employees in the past, but these are different times with unprecedented fuel costs and a weakening economy. Most want to keep their jobs and ride out this storm, but APA seems to have a other plans. This narrow minded thinking could come back to bite them in the butt if not careful.

Unfortunately, APA is now being led by a much more radical group than in the past. They have made ludacris promises to their constituents that have no chance of being delivered. This type of bully tactic is all show, in my opinion, and a way to demonstrate to all that APA is a force to be reckoned with. It is sad, however, as there are many pilots out there who do not agree with the manner in which APA is handling their relationship with the company. Not to say that AA hasn't screwed over its employees in the past, but these are different times with unprecedented fuel costs and a weakening economy. Most want to keep their jobs and ride out this storm, but APA seems to have a other plans. This narrow minded thinking could come back to bite them in the butt if not careful.

You just don't get it do you?
To date the employees of AA have given the company BILLIONS is concessions over the past 5 years and GUESS WHAT? They want more because of the price of fuel.....
Isn't the price of fuel affecting u, Mrs Mcfly?

And spare me the lucky to have a job mantra, i've heard it all too many times here..

SHRINK THE COMPANY INTO PROFITABILITY AND RESTORE EMPLOYEE MORALE AND SHAREHOLDER VALUE....WHO CARES ABOUT RETAINING THE "WORLD'S LARGEST AIRLINE' TITLE....

You just don't get it do you?
To date the employees of AA have given the company BILLIONS is concessions over the past 5 years and GUESS WHAT? They want more because of the price of fuel.....
Isn't the price of fuel affecting u, Mrs Mcfly?

And spare me the lucky to have a job mantra, i've heard it all too many times here..

SHRINK THE COMPANY INTO PROFITABILITY AND RESTORE EMPLOYEE MORALE AND SHAREHOLDER VALUE....WHO CARES ABOUT RETAINING THE "WORLD'S LARGEST AIRLINE' TITLE....
All you say may be true. My point is that the strategy may make you feel good, but it does not seem to be rationally designed to get what you want. I assume you want management accountability, as many good jobs as possible, and no adverse consequences to pensions. You need to develop a plan to achieve it, not just complain and tear down what you have.

It is sad, however, as there are many pilots out there who do not agree with the manner in which APA is handling their relationship with the company.

Do you have any facts or figures to back up your babbling about pilots? From what you've posted, you appear to not have a clue. The real numbers suggest that the pilots agree with the current APA leadership. This is backed by record participation at APA meetings and events. Since they were democratically elected, base meeting attendance has been staggering. Even at the DFW base, the APA president was elected over the incumbent by a 2/1 margin (1200 vs 600). While I'm sure you could get a few out of 10,000 pilots to voice some disagreement about tactics, even I might do some things differently, the overwhelming majority are disgusted with the company leadership of the last several years and support APA.

Do you have any facts or figures to back up your babbling about pilots? From what you've posted, you appear to not have a clue. The real numbers suggest that the pilots agree with the current APA leadership. This is backed by record participation at APA meetings and events. Since they were democratically elected, base meeting attendance has been staggering. Even at the DFW base, the APA president was elected over the incumbent by a 2/1 margin (1200 vs 600). While I'm sure you could get a few out of 10,000 pilots to voice some disagreement about tactics, even I might do some things differently, the overwhelming majority are disgusted with the company leadership of the last several years and support APA.

Mach85, I think you're supposed to feel guilty.

Latest posts

Back