PIT Closing is clearly due to DL failed merger

US1YFARE

Veteran
Mar 31, 2004
So, I apologize if this has been posted, and Lord knows everyone knew PIT was closing, but not because DoUgIe would admit to it. It seems that PIT would have remained viable had the DL merger been successful. No wonder he got the DUI--who knew it would be so devastating to US.

Here are some excerpts from what he said:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/opera...faqs_media.aspx

What about layoffs?

There were no furloughs of represented mainline or wholly owned subsidiary employees caused by the US Airways merger with America West. And since the merger, we've recalled 700 pilots, flight attendants and other employees (primarily from US), and hired 4,000 new employees!

The Delta merger model/projections assume no furloughs for mainline operating groups or for our wholly owned subsidiary groups, at this time. If there were layoffs in union-represented groups, they would occur as required by the labor agreements. Other layoffs would likely be accomplished similar to how they were in the US Airways-America West merger, which was not on the basis of seniority but depended on a variety of factors, including willingness to relocate.

WOW, unbelievable that the failed DL merger has now caused layoffs.

Or, his senate testimony on page 10 where he promises not to furlough an US mainline or DL employees (who knew this merger was so critical to the survival to PIT)

commerce.senate.gov/public/_files/Testimony_DougParker_USAirways_DPTestimonyv54.pdf

Or, pledging not to furlough any employees, eliminate hubs or drop markets from the would-be Delta-US Airways network, US Airways chairman and CEO Doug Parker last week did not have a sympathetic ear in the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce

http://www.management.travel/news.php?cid=...erger.Jan-07.31

Does anyone have any promises from him when the US/HP merger took place? He never says what he means--that's what makes it so tricky listening to him.

Since Dougweiser is dumping money losing bases perhaps he should take it one step further and close
PHX LAS. Everyone on Wall St. knows that the West is a huge money loser. Split it up for crying out loud.

His statements just come under the wire. Very coy.

And if the Delta deal had worked out...it was still going.

The fact of the matter is....as painful as it is...PIT was a gonner 15 years ago. Maybe longer. We have hung onto it for sentimental reasons. It does not generate nor grow business. The city itself has shrunk......

Sorry darlings. As much as I love the PIT airport, and I do, maybe this will get this us properly right-sized.

But by the same token.....I think the company should move HQ out of Tempe. Tempe is "hide bound" and intraverted. In fact we all know HQ is intraverted.

They can't think out side of the box.

The Stepford Stare comes to mind. They are brain washed. Hell...I'm begining to think Doug has brainwashed himself!!
:shock:

I don't think that if the DL deal had gone thru that PIT would have been saved as a result. It is too close to CVG, which has already been
Expressed to death itself. :blink:

If the DL deal had gone ahead you can bet the cuts would have been bigger as they would have affected both (DL/US) sides. You can bet PIT was always on the "cut" list, you can probably add LAS to the "cut" list as the meger would have added SLC.

BINGO!
If you believe that CLT would have stayed open then, in the words of Grinstein, “you believe in tinkerbell.â€￾

I agree that changes need to be made in this industry. For one the barriers for new carrier entry are way to low. Consolidation will not solve anything as long as a “new entrantâ€￾ carrier on a maintenance and salary “vacationâ€￾ will fill the capacity drawn down.

BINGO!
If you believe that CLT would have stayed open then, in the words of Grinstein, “you believe in tinkerbell.â€￾

I agree that changes need to be made in this industry. For one the barriers for new carrier entry are way to low. Consolidation will not solve anything as long as a “new entrantâ€￾ carrier on a maintenance and salary “vacationâ€￾ will fill the capacity drawn down.

Okay. It's time for Spin Doc to weigh in.

Anybody notice that PIT is not the only city where PSA customer service and ground handling are being eliminated? Of course not, because that information was intentionally buried in the press releases in favor of building a case for the PIT base closure. I believe there is also a broader restructuring that has been initiated and it involves the wholly owned carriers, PSA and Piedmont. It appears the company is eliminating PSA airport services in favor of Piedmont, but keeping 50/70 seat CRJ flying under the PSA banner and 50/70 seat turbos with Piedmont.

In my opinion, this is the first step in bringing PSA and Piedmont under one roof to consolidate PHL/CLT Express flying with a mix of 50/70 seat turbos and RJ's. With ground services consolidated under Piedmont, all that is left to merge the entities is pilot contracts.

They are also shedding contract Express flying because with the reduced schedule in PIT after January 5, it is likely that Colgan, Mesa/Air Midwest, and Trans States will reduce their service due to a lack of connecting customers. This will allow US to pare down their Express affiliates with little or no resistance from the contract carriers.

Looking at the big picture, something is definitely up with the streamlining of US East routes and schedules, and I think there is a man behind the curtain who is directing the show to make US more attractive to a dance partner.

PIT is being closed because it is too close to PHL. Period. If we're going to totally honest here, the decline of PIT started long before Tempe was even in the picture. The writing has been on the wall for years and the other shoe has finally dropped. Do I think that the senior executives in Tempe are poor leaders? Absolutely. But at the same time, Doug Parker shouldn't be made the scapegoat for what was likely going to be an inevitable outcome. Second tier hubs are no longer sustainable. And I don't agree at all with you, US1. If US had succeeded in acquiring DL, PHL and CLT both would have been likely casualties to JFK and ATL. At best, PHX, SLC, JFK, BOS, DCA, ATL, (and CVG, maybe) would've been spared. You can blame US management for the very poor operational numbers. You can blame US management for the cut over to SHARES fiasco. You can blame US management for having dragged their heels on negotiating transition agreements. You can blame US management for a failed takeover attempt at DL. You can blame US management for having chased away all of their best customers. But at the end of the day, PIT's days have been numbered for quite some time. Go ahead and flame away. I am certainly no Koolaid drinker. I just call it as I see it...

PIT is being closed because it is too close to PHL. Period.
With the subplot of something having to give when the fleet is cut almost in half over 7 years. It was basically the Shuttle and a lot of other flying from the major cities of the NE or a hub that had to be cut. PIT became the odd man out.

Jim

I can't see US having a new dance partner any time soon. The industry as a whole is making money and consolidation usually happens when two entities are too weak to make it as stand alones or someone has cash to burn.