PIT Closing is clearly due to DL failed merger

PIT is being closed because it is too close to PHL.Period. ......If US had succeeded in acquiring DL, PHL and CLT both would have been likely casualties to JFK and ATL. At best, PHX, SLC, JFK, BOS, DCA, ATL, (and CVG, maybe) would've been spared...call it as I see it...
PIT is being downsized (not closed) because it is and has essentially been for several years - a money looser - Period.
Evidently you were not too involved with the DL takeover plans. The stated plans in the merger documents/presentation clearly stated the 2 largest/main hubs would be ATL and PHL - not JFK.

PIT's days were numbered after 9/11 and BK2. The writing has been on the wall a long time. It all boils down to money and PIT didn't make any. As great of a terminal and as good as the employees are , it all boils down to dollars and cents. Oh if we could only magically pick up PIT and replace PHL with it. Imagine how well PHL could run with a terminal and field like PIT. BWI suffered the same fate , great terminal, people but a money loser and too close to PHL/DCA. In a merger scenario with DL,UA, or NW PIT would be gone anyway. Who needs PIT when you have DTW, ORD or even CVG. Unfortunately the level of service that PIT will have come January is probably more suitable for a city it's size, which is not growing.

Okay. It's time for Spin Doc to weigh in.

Anybody notice that PIT is not the only city where PSA customer service and ground handling are being eliminated? Of course not, because that information was intentionally buried in the press releases in favor of building a case for the PIT base closure. I believe there is also a broader restructuring that has been initiated and it involves the wholly owned carriers, PSA and Piedmont. It appears the company is eliminating PSA airport services in favor of Piedmont, but keeping 50/70 seat CRJ flying under the PSA banner and 50/70 seat turbos with Piedmont.

In my opinion, this is the first step in bringing PSA and Piedmont under one roof to consolidate PHL/CLT Express flying with a mix of 50/70 seat turbos and RJ's. With ground services consolidated under Piedmont, all that is left to merge the entities is pilot contracts.

They are also shedding contract Express flying because with the reduced schedule in PIT after January 5, it is likely that Colgan, Mesa/Air Midwest, and Trans States will reduce their service due to a lack of connecting customers. This will allow US to pare down their Express affiliates with little or no resistance from the contract carriers.

Looking at the big picture, something is definitely up with the streamlining of US East routes and schedules, and I think there is a man behind the curtain who is directing the show to make US more attractive to a dance partner.
Where else is PSA losing their C/S & ground handling other than PIT? I missed that one myself.

Everywhere. They are getting out of the ground handling business and it looks like Piedmont will be taking over their operations. So it seems that the 350 agents in PIT will probably not have anywhere to go unless the PSA agents in those other cities don't move over to Piedmont.

Drop back and check yourself.
Back when the Wolfeman was doing hangar shows in PIT,he made it very clear with his show and tell on origin and destination cities that the fabled 'Burgh was soon to be a memory...so why now is it such a shock? Or was I the only one paying attention that day? <_<

Where else is PSA losing their C/S & ground handling other than PIT? I missed that one myself.

From Q&A on PIT base closure:

"Representatives from PSA will also be on hand in PIT and the affect-
ed cities to discuss options with PSA Airport Customer Service and
fleet service employees individually. Jobs throughout the Piedmont
system will be offered to these employees.
Piedmont representatives will be in Asheville, NC, Dayton, OH,
Louisville, KY, and Tri-Cities TN to offer employment to PSA
employees losing their jobs there"

I guess that all about wraps up PSA ground services as those are
all PSA stations right now.

I can't see US having a new dance partner any time soon. The industry as a whole is making money and consolidation usually happens when two entities are too weak to make it as stand alones or someone has cash to burn.

Doug said it himself during the Sept 20th meeting with pilots in CLT. (Of course, this is contingent on whether or not one cares to believe what Doug says.) To paraphrase, he said that he did not forsee USAirways merging with another carrier any time soon. He said that he still believes that industry consolidation is inevitable. And he said that when the consolidation takes part, USAirways MUST be a part of it because, due to our relatively small size, we could not survive against three mega-carriers like NW/DL, or CO/UA, or AA (which he thinks will ultimately stand alone and survive very well.)

In short, when the dominoes start to tip, we must be acquired or be relegated to oblivion. I think this is why we see a continual trimming of the operation...getting it nicely packaged for the sale. This is also, IMHO, why he changed his tune on getting combined contracts in the near term. If the US/AW merger gets dragged out and is still in process when the consolidation dominoes fall, it more likely that we will be left to wither as odd man out.

Since Dougweiser is dumping money losing bases perhaps he should take it one step further and close
PHX LAS. Everyone on Wall St. knows that the West is a huge money loser. Split it up for crying out loud.

Yes! let's return to how USAirways was they made tons of cash :lol: :stupid:

In short, when the dominoes start to tip, we must be acquired or be relegated to oblivion. I think this is why we see a continual trimming of the operation...getting it nicely packaged for the sale.

Exactly!! We all think pit was such a shock (even though we knew it was coming) but i bet we haven't seen nothing yet with what the future holds down the road!! But one things for sure, it wont be to keep usairways a stand alone company. :down: Doug has thrown way to many hints about that and with what he wants.

PIT was getting canned with or without the DL merger. If you were combining DL and US, CLT was getting axed as well. The merged carrier would have had to choose between CVG and PIT. CVG would be kept because it is farther away from the king of cesspools(PHL). BTW, I can call PHL that I grew up there. The unfortunate thing is that people who work in that area and love that area don't want to hear that. Good luck in the future.

Latest posts