Pit Looks To Future

Rob

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04354/429108.stm

I hate reading this kind of story. Nevertheless, is PIT's best bet to hope that US can maintain it's present operation (which isn't THAT small, compared to similar cities like CLE, STL, MCI) and maybe regrow some in the future?

Or could somebody new come along with a respectable sized operation that might also have growth potential? Northwest? Frontier? America West (with regrets about CMH)? Or even Mesa?

ringmaruf said:
I love how they show a picture of how empty Concourse D is--even though US doesn't operate from that Concourse. :rolleyes:
[post="230160"][/post]​

Media is all about perception and not about accuracy.

This quote from the Post-Gazette article is also interesting:

"In retrospect, building such a large airport probably was a mistake, Roddey said. But it's one that could not have been avoided without biblical-like prophecy powers.

"I don't know anyone who would have made a different decision at the time," he said.

"All of the indications were that US Airways was going to grow and that it was going to be one of the largest airlines in the country," he said. "I don't think anyone had any reason to doubt that they were going to grow along with the rest of the industry."

Any pilot who attended USAir mirror-image training in 1988 could have predicted this without any "biblical-like prophecy powers." It was perfectly obvious that Colodny and his minions were clueless, arrogant and painfully short-sighted. Just seeing how these nitwits operated was enlightening and disheartening.

"We know how to run an airline." This Colodny quote should be a chapter title in some business school text on how hubris, combined with stupidity, can bring a company to self-destruction.