SOUTHWEST Adding BIG at PIT! Who didn't know that

Jimmy Neutron

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
It is being reported on the local news by the Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato this morning that within the next two weeks Southwest will be announcing that they will be adding big-time at PIT, as many as 60-65 flights a day...over time....

He says that Southwest execs. have told them PIT has been the fastest growing new market for WN of any other market for WN ever.....

The WN architects are in the PIT airport right now expanding their ticket counter.....and looking for homes in the area....

It's too bad that Dougweiser and boys just can't figure out how to run an airline successfully in todays environment.....

Also the figures for the 18+ excess gates US Airways paid short-term leases on to run the express operation finally came out today in the post-gazette 5.5 million per-year.....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07278/823072-147.stm

Boy if Doug and the boys would have just listened to the committee that told them how to save millions, things would be a bit different today...

This will be great news for the Prince-of-Pawobs and co-workers---who would you rather work for-------That's a no-brainer-----

This is the SAME story since, what, 1992? It appears the Tempe bunch is just as incompetant as the Crystal City bunch. The boys and girls in Dallas must be overjoyed with America West management's inability to run a large airline and the continuation of the typical US Air backstep, with regard to SWA.

For those of you who were still in elementry school in the 90's and are now senior to me, here is a partial litany of our give-aways to SWA: California, Florida, Baltimore, Islip, and now Pittsburgh (Notice I can actually spell it, unlike Tempe). Congratulations PIT!

For those of you who were still in elementry school in the 90's and are now senior to me, here is a partial litany of our give-aways to SWA: California, Florida, Baltimore, Islip, and now Pittsburgh (Notice I can actually spell it, unlike Tempe). Congratulations PIT!

Add to that New England non-stop to Florida. And while SWA does not serve BOS, JetBlue and AirTran can't add BOS-Florida flights to their schedule fast enough.

I don't see in the article any mention of a significant Southwest expansion in PIT. Where did people hear they would consider 60 to 65 additional flights?

I assume that the following line meant local TV/radio......
It is being reported on the local news by the Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato this morning that within the next two weeks Southwest will be announcing that they will be adding big-time at PIT, as many as 60-65 flights a day...over time....

Jim

I don't see in the article any mention of a significant Southwest expansion in PIT. Where did people hear they would consider 60 to 65 additional flights?
I put the article link on there to show the excess cost US was incurring unnecessarily, 5.5 million+ just for the 18 short term gate leases they were using to operate the ever shrinking express operation separately in PIT....This does not include the cost of employing around 500 people also.....The employment is now 350. And this was brought up by a committee in PIT almost 2 years ago but Tempe used the we know more then you attitude about it and the end result is this......

They are doing exactly what was suggested----it's just two years too late as they continued to gut the feeder flights that were still in place in PIT......

As for the Southwest expansion, as I stated this is being reported on the local news in PIT and being confirmed by Allegheny County Cheif Executive Dan Onorato...

The official announcement by Southwest will be made within the next two weeks.......

Can anyone say "SILVER PLATTER".......the folks at Southwest must sit in their boardrooms and laugh almost daily as they sit and wait for US Airways to hand over yet another market....

And how out of touch are our senior elected leaders: For one I would say this is a little too late and 2: Do they actually think Dougweiser even gives one sh*t about how this affects anyone!

Senators Specter and Casey Urge US Airways to Reconsider Cuts to Pittsburgh
Fri, 10/05/2007 - 10:56 — newsdesk

Dear Mr. Parker:

We write to express our extreme disappointment over your recent decision to reduce flights and employment levels at Pittsburgh International Airport.

It is our understanding that beginning in January 2008, USAirways intends to eliminate 40 flights and 950 jobs from its Pittsburgh operation. We are deeply concerned over the negative impacts that this decision will have on the southwestern Pennsylvania region and are disturbed that USAirways continues to reduce its presence in Pittsburgh.

This announcement not only has the potential to create economic and social hardships for the individuals and families affected by the employment reduction, but it may also leave business and recreational passengers with fewer travel options. Decreased air service options at Pittsburgh could likely hinder the airport’s ability to attract business and economic development to southwestern Pennsylvania.

We are also concerned over your company’s announcement that most of the flight reductions will occur on routes that provide service to and from small communities. This could have an even greater cumulative impact on the economy of Pennsylvania as many rural airports in our state connect to national destinations via Pittsburgh.

Accordingly, we urge you to reconsider this decision or at the very least make every conceivable effort to mitigate its potentially harmful impacts on the economy and quality of life of the greater Pittsburgh region and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. We also urge you to avoid if at all possible any future reductions to your presence at Pittsburgh International Airport.

Thank you for your personal attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Arlen Specter, U.S. Senator and Bob Casey, U.S. Senator

Source: Senator Arlen Specter

Sorry for the double post

I really don't want to be a negative Nancy on this, but I will be surprised (and eat crow) if Southwest really announces that big of an expansion in PIT. Where will they get the planes -- they have scaled back growth and aircraft deliveries for the next couple of years, so it would require a pretty major schedule adjustment. Maybe they will leave PHL, who knows?

I really don't want to be a negative Nancy on this, but I will be surprised (and eat crow) if Southwest really announces that big of an expansion in PIT. Where will they get the planes -- they have scaled back growth and aircraft deliveries for the next couple of years, so it would require a pretty major schedule adjustment. Maybe they will leave PHL, who knows?
Sorry, but this is already in the works as Southwest actually knows how to run a successful airline unlike Tempe-----

It will be announced within two weeks....

No one should be concerned, DOUG knows how to run an airline :lol: all is well

Where will they get the planes -- they have scaled back growth and aircraft deliveries for the next couple of years, so it would require a pretty major schedule adjustment.
"Scaled back", in this case, means "only" 19-29 new planes in 2008 and 28 in 2009. That's a lot of block hours that can go somewhere....

Jim

Back