PIT maintenance reductions

T-bone

Advanced
Feb 15, 2003
The company announce that PIT line maintenance personnel will be reduced to approximately half (about 60 mechanics). Has anyone heard of further flight reductions in PIT or what the near future holds for that one time hub?

The company announce that PIT line maintenance personnel will be reduced to approximately half (about 60 mechanics). Has anyone heard of further flight reductions in PIT or what the near future holds for that one time hub?
how many mainline flights do we still operate there????

They are being moved to the base mx - no one out the door yet.

"Yet". That is the key word.

In the beginning, many of the junior people thought that they were just being moved into Heavy to jobs the company was going to "create" for them. It was under the guise of the new IAM term, "absorption". It was going to be painless and a sweet deal for the junior people as they went for the afternoon and daylight Heavy jobs, and the senior line people went to midnight line.

That was until today.

Today the abolishment paper work came out for the junior people. This throws a monkey wrench into those plans. They will now bump a junior position, most likely in Heavy, and then those junior people will either bump somewhere in the system, or they will be "absorbed" as some of our IAM "leaders" insist.

Westward ho.

They are being moved to the base mx - no one out the door yet.

Ask the question this way to get the real "ABSORPTION" number. How many mechanics are there system wide now. After the "ABSORPTION" is completely completed how many mechanics are there system wide. My hunch is the numbers will not be equal.

Since none of my apathetic coworkers will chime in, I'll try my best to answer.

The new "combined" list is out. It now includes the America West Mechanics. It is also a super secret foreman's office only list, so it's hard to get all the numbers, but as of now there are near 3900 Mechanics combined.

The number on furlough is harder to come by.

3969 total mech, and that is counting a LOT who have left, furlough,retire etc......senior PHX is # 396.....not a secret list....

Any word by those affected by the reduction, have you been absorbed into heavy or given paperwork to bump the system? We all know how the contract reads, just curious!!

page 2 of the Transition Agreement "There will be no reduction in force for mechanic classifications prior to OEI." Have we accomplished OEI?

page 2 of the Transition Agreement "There will be no reduction in force for mechanic classifications prior to OEI." Have we accomplished OEI?

I heard that they were trying for the 21 st of July. But with the number of computer program problems (work brain is one of many) September may be the new target. :blink:

The latest word on the line reductions is that they will be (absorbed) into heavy maint. All those being reduced from the line have received abolishment paper work.

There has been no explanation from the union as to why they are not staying put until the OIE, or how they could move to a new department that currently has no openings, (why is no one in heavy being bumped). All the moves are supposed to take place by the 24th.

There will be mechanics with over 35 years heading for 3rd shift in line maintenance who will have no opportunity to bid the supposed vacancies in heavy maintenance. They deserve an explanation as to how people could move to a place that has no openings.

However, PIT management assures everyone that absolutely everything will be fine in PIT. The station will have more work than they know what to do with; no one should worry, everything is going to be fine, trust us.