Planes out of service in the system

767 mechanic

Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
I have heard that there is a larger than usual number of planes going out of service at stations like ORD,JFK and DFW. The funny thing is that they are not showing up on Vianet as usual. At JFK they had 13 out of service on Sat and the only way you knew that they were out of service was if you took the plane out of service yourself or new the person that did. They have also been white slipping people and locking up break rooms in order to corral the mechanics so that they can keep a better eye on them at JFK. In ORD they just upped the managers head count from 2 to 4. They are standing over them,watching them do there jobs and questioning them when they write somthing up. Seems there was an etops A/C taken out of service and never made vianet. In ORD there were a couple of passengers walking around the terminal with signs that stated FLY AA YOUR VACATION WILL NEVER END & YOU WILL NEVER GET HOME. I have also been told that there are higher than normal numbers of a/c out of service at DFW and that there are a growing number of docks in Tulsa that are working by the book. The number of people taking field trips out of Tulsa are dwindling also due to changing work rules. They require you to take a minimum of 8hrs off after working 12 hrs unless you have prior approval. I thought that the reason for having the field trips is to get the plane back into revenue service. With the contract neg going the way that they are,can you expect anythingelse. They have intentionaly delayed neg. They promised SHARED SACRIFICE with no intention of ever delivering on that promise. I'm sure the company suckups are going to come on here and say that we are hurting the passengers. Well that maybe true,but what about our families pain. The fact of the matter is that it is the company that is hurting the passengers due to their actions at the neg table. They promised and didn't deliver. They always have one of there company mouth pieces in papers telling half truths to the public and complete lies about pensions,labor costs and costs per available seat mile,but they never seem to tell people that the majority of these problems they created. I always like to read how they state that AA offered X number of holidays or vacation days to us to sweeten the offer,but they don't tell the public that they were taking away 10 times what they were offering and that the total value of the offer was half of what the previous offer was. On a different note. I was told that UPS started sending out there retro checks and one mechanic recieved $41,000 and AA is balking about less than a 1/4 of that after they have been saving that for 3 plus years. If they didn't save the money that they haven't paid us over the years,they should be fired for mismanagement.

Reactions: 1 person
been hearing the same thing on the floor here. Most guys have had it with that last offer. It will be by the book and no stone unturned. We have 3 out at LGA right now and that was just this afternoon. Been working on a lighting strike for 5 hours equipment doesnt work bad weather and lighting damage got to love this aviation... :D

been hearing the same thing on the floor here. Most guys have had it with that last offer. It will be by the book and no stone unturned. We have 3 out at LGA right now and that was just this afternoon. Been working on a lighting strike for 5 hours equipment doesnt work bad weather and lighting damage got to love this aviation... :D
FINALLY!!!!!!!

How many times must you be warned about posting information about out of service aircraft having something to do wtih negotiations?

Unless you have proof or want to end up answering to lawyers in a deposition, you should keep your words wise and cautious.

Just do your job, and leave the bragging to the fool that hasn't been warned in advance.

This has now reached serious stage and each of you should treat it that way. Unless of course you have some unyielding fetish to become the Martyr.

Dang, thats too bad. Just got home from a 14 hour shift. Poor airplane has a case of "airplane karma". It`s looking good for a 2300 ETR tonight though.

<_< ------"Airplane Karma!"-----Hum! Sounds serious!!! That might take a while to strighten that out! I haven't seen a case of that in a long time!!!------- Where in the MM would I look for a fix for that? ------- Just keep looking! You'll find it!------ Eventally!!! :p

Dunno, guys, looking at Flightstats.com AA managed to hold to a 75% A-14 yesterday.

By comparison, union brothers United were at 66% and Southwest at 60% for yesterday. Nonunion DL were at 83% and Jetblue at 57%.

If being better than Jetblue and Southwest is what you guys call a slowdown or a lot of aircraft suddenly OTS for unrelated reasons, then either you really suck at working to rule, or your rules simply don't impact departure dependability nearly as much as you think they do....

Dunno, guys, looking at Flightstats.com AA managed to hold to a 75% A-14 yesterday.

By comparison, union brothers United were at 66% and Southwest at 60% for yesterday. Nonunion DL were at 83% and Jetblue at 57%.

If being better than Jetblue and Southwest is what you guys call a slowdown or a lot of aircraft suddenly OTS for unrelated reasons, then either you really suck at working to rule, or your rules simply don't impact departure dependability nearly as much as you think they do....
<_< ------ Eric,------ you have to remember that All of the above Airlines are the one's that outsource their Aircraft to places like Paul1 likes to remind us about.------- It will take a whole lot of "going by the book" to bring AA to their level of 'performance", or lack of!!! ;)

I'm not sure that picking out a single day of OT as evidence proves much since OT is more affected by weather than anything else and it is never consistent across the US.
What this does say is that AA is likely sensing the increased tension that exists w/ labor and is addressing it through increased oversight (they do read boards like this) and they also likely realize that there is some end-state to this seven year battle in the not too distant future.
Further, even with AA's slight reductions in capacity, they still have more aircraft than they need given the new deliveries. Getting some planes back in service is not as critical as it once was.
Given the need to cut more capacity than they already have, there probably is not as much of a fear of cancelling flights more than they have done in the past.
Every airline that has been in financial difficulties has done the same thing. It shouldn't come as a surprise, even if it does have an effect on customer service and operational reliability.

I'm not sure that picking out a single day of OT as evidence proves much since OT is more affected by weather than anything else and it is never consistent across the US.
What this does say is that AA is likely sensing the increased tension that exists w/ labor and is addressing it through increased oversight (they do read boards like this) and they also likely realize that there is some end-state to this seven year battle in the not too distant future.
Further, even with AA's slight reductions in capacity, they still have more aircraft than they need given the new deliveries. Getting some planes back in service is not as critical as it once was.
Given the need to cut more capacity than they already have, there probably is not as much of a fear of cancelling flights more than they have done in the past.
Every airline that has been in financial difficulties has done the same thing. It shouldn't come as a surprise, even if it does have an effect on customer service and operational reliability.
What if the flights being scrapped were the overseas one? :unsure:

How many times must you be warned about posting information about out of service aircraft having something to do wtih negotiations?

Unless you have proof or want to end up answering to lawyers in a deposition, you should keep your words wise and cautious.

Just do your job, and leave the bragging to the fool that hasn't been warned in advance.

This has now reached serious stage and each of you should treat it that way. Unless of course you have some unyielding fetish to become the Martyr.
I absolutely agree! Lots of management pukes on this forum.

What if the flights being scrapped were the overseas one? :unsure:

Flightstats.com tracks international flights as well where they can. For example, the same airport scorecard available for LAX is also available for NRT and LHR, but there are obvious holes in the data they're receiving and posting.

The departure counts for AA yesterday reflected 1755 departures and 36 cancellations, which is close to the 1900 or so mainline flights operated.

I have no idea where the variance is coming from. AA has more than 200 internationals just in and out of MIA, so it doesn't appear they're engaging in the same selective reporting used for the DOT.

<_< -------- Bottom line here guys, is that an Airplane ain't going to fly if there's no signature on the "Airworthiness Release" in the log book by a licensed AMT!-------- Yes, that includes spare aircraft! -------- And yes, a Supervisor can do it, if he's licensed, and has the big ones to sign for work he's not done!!! ;)