Possible Restoration of Lost Wages for Flight Attendants

Status
Not open for further replies.
etops1 said:
There will be no revote . It will be the exact same contract originally offered minus removal of the Hard 40 . That's It .. Nothing more ... Nothing less..
Then why did both AA and the APFA waist their money even going to arbitration?

Also remember that the arbitrated contract became in effect on 12/13/14 ... The only thing that has not gone into effect is the wages. That goes into effect on 1/1/15. So they can and will change what was arbitrated . They still have the time to do it .

Reactions: 1 person
I think what all are missing here is that pay terms of the CBA are minimums.

The company can increase wages as it sees fit as long as the raises are agreed to by the union.

That usually entails ensuring the pay raises are equally distributed among the members in a fair and equitable manner. It is not often it happens, but it can, and does in special cases.
and you and everyone else that thinks that Parker is going to give AA FAs anything are delusional.

He'll negotiate something but they aren't getting anything.

He isn't about to set a precedent for the rest of the labor groups that if they screw up, they can run to daddy and he'll bail them out.

that phrase will haunt Parker for years to come....

and will be a reminder to AA employees of how wrong their unions were every time that DL, UA, and WN and others pay out profit sharing.

based on earnings estimate for carriers that have provided it, some airline employees could be earning 20% or more of their salary in profit sharing - more than 2 months' extra pay.

but AA employees shouldn't be subjected to the macro influences - such as mergers and reduced capacity in major markets - that can improve profitability. Or OPEC's moves which drive down oil prices.

they should instead worry about Ebola which the media and Parker want to blow way out of proportion as a scare technique to keep labor low paid at AA.

we are almost in complete agreement.

Parker IS a snake charmer. If he can put on a face of being willing to sit down and trade one thing that has one value for another, he is not opposed to doing that.

The value of the contract is set by the arbitration process and you can be absolutely assured that won't change.

If there is something that FAs want and are willing to trade for another item that the company values the same or less, there is no reason to think that Parker won't do that.

WorldTraveler said:

Parker IS a snake charmer. If he can put on a face of being willing to sit down and trade one thing that has one value for another, he is not opposed to doing that.

The value of the contract is set by the arbitration process and you can be absolutely assured that won't change.

If there is something that FAs want and are willing to trade for another item that the company values the same or less, there is no reason to think that Parker won't do that.
I don't blame Parker for anything. nor I do blame any CEO before him. 
They are doing their job by getting the best contracts for the company, even if it means screwing the worker. That's business.

I BLAME the unions for allowing their members to agree to concessions LONG before bk.
I BLAME the union leadership for helping the company sell the bill of goods on behalf of the company.
I BLAME union leaders for telling us to lower our expectations and how we will get them next time. 
I BLAME union members who voted for concessions in hopes of saving jobs.
I BLAME union members for not even voting at all.

Now before you mention Delta, the only reason they treat employees like they CURRENTLY do is simply TO KEEP MORE UNIONS OFF THE PROPERTY. 
I wonder how generous Andersen would be if he had to deal with a more unionized work force. 

Maybe this is why Delta is so generous....They can afford to be at the expense of the workforce. 

http://www.careerbliss.com/delta-air-lines/salaries/

Or maybe this:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/14/1351133/-Delta-Airlines-fires-worker-for-saying-Delta-workers-make-under-15-an-hour#

Reactions: 1 person
etops1 said:
There will be no revote . It will be the exact same contract originally offered minus removal of the Hard 40 . That's It .. Nothing more ... Nothing less..

It all comes down to whether or not the APFA C&B-Ls allow for ratification without a membership vote.  If it does, then there won't be a vote.  However, some of those "No" voters would lkely have a good case for a DFR lawsuit given the defeat of that agreement in a plebiscite.

nycbusdriver said:

It all comes down to whether or not the APFA C&B-Ls allow for ratification without a membership vote.  If it does, then there won't be a vote.  However, some of those "No" voters would lkely have a good case for a DFR lawsuit given the defeat of that agreement in a plebiscite.
Gotta love the threat of a DFR lawsuit when ONE-THIRD of the members do not bother voting.

WorldTraveler said:

I disagree with the characterization of Parker.  There is no "charmer" in it.

MetalMover said:
Gotta love the threat of a DFR lawsuit when ONE-THIRD of the members do not bother voting.

Well, did it pass, or not?

The former AWA pilots have managed to keep the former East US pilots in court (and now arbitration) for over seven years now with little progress.  A DFR might indeed be a losing battle, but it is possible and, speaking from first-hand experience, is quite disruptive to any sort of progress.  And Parker LOVES it.

nycbusdriver said:

Well, did it pass, or not?

The former AWA pilots have managed to keep the former East US pilots in court (and now arbitration) for over seven years now with little progress.  A DFR might indeed be a losing battle, but it is possible and, speaking from first-hand experience, is quite disruptive to any sort of progress.  And Parker LOVES it.
Doesn't change the fact that so many people don't bother to vote. This are usually the ones to complain the most.
If anyone has a case for a DFR lawsuit is the the TWU membership.

IORFA said:
You are assuming that the same morons from before just found a bunch of brains to use. My friends that voted no are more than happy working for less. Even told ME I could find a new job. Ha, apparently, wanting to make a good living passing out cokes isn't appreciated by the masses here anymore and people are more than willing to do it for less $. Crazy as it is, I can't wrap my brain around such skewed logic. I sincerely hope Parker can save us from ourselves and we aren't stuck with substandard wages. My life doesn't work in a vacuum where moral victories have a monetary value to purchase things. Bob, your UA carve out isn't a big deal to Parker. It was stipulated to the arbitrators by AA. If they had a problem with it, they would have protested and we would have had 4 disagreements instead of 3. For our wages to increase off their combined contract, they would have to get more than 160 million a year on top of the extra 60 or so million a year to make it matter. Which is my own WAG. I'm not willing to bet on that. Especially at the snails pace they are negotiating now. At this rate, WE may have a new contract before UA. At the end of the day, IF we do end up getting the $81 million, any no voters out there can get in touch with me and make arrangements to turnover some of their unwanted riches! I'll provide a nice comfortable home for their bastard cash.
And, if you're off that day, they can contact me. :lol:

What a lot of people outside the f/a corps don't know is that we have a sizable group of f/as who don't like to fly on airplanes that are "contaminated" with passengers.  Not as large as it was pre-VEOP, but there's still a number on the rolls. 

1. They just want to be able to claim a jumpseat if necessary when they non-rev.
2. They don't care about company benefits because they have all of that from a spouse's job.
3. They don't care about work rules because they generally don't work...well, not at AA.
4. I've heard that there are several who have their own businesses and they are using their non-rev travel benefits to do their business travel.  (Yeah, I know it's a violation of company policy, and is considered a termination offense, but this bunch also expects the union to defend them if they get caught.)
5. For whatever reason, they have their knickers in a twist over Laura Glading and/or the APFA in general; so, for some/all of the reasons listed in 1-4, they hope that causing the TA to fail will ease the bunching in their shorts.  It never has before, but maybe this time...

FWIW, I hope the Hard 40 is back in the contract when the dust settles.  If you want to call yourself a flight attendant, you should have to fly on a regular basis.  Yes, there are situations that require people to be off for periods of time.  That's what the FMLA is for.  (Sorry, just not wanting to work is not a medical condition covered under the FMLA.)

No, your seniority did not earn you the right to reap the benefits of seniority and never have to show up to work.  Your seniority earned you the ability to hold the best lines, get first dibs on the bid leaves, and hold the plummy vacation periods.  But, you still have to show up to work in order to be called an employee. 

Reactions: 8 people
WorldTraveler said:
and you and everyone else that thinks that Parker is going to give AA FAs anything are delusional.He'll negotiate something but they aren't getting anything.He isn't about to set a precedent for the rest of the labor groups that if they screw up, they can run to daddy and he'll bail them out.  that phrase will haunt Parker for years to come....and will be a reminder to AA employees of how wrong their unions were every time that DL, UA, and WN and others pay out profit sharing.based on earnings estimate for carriers that have provided it, some airline employees could be earning 20% or more of their salary in profit sharing - more than 2 months' extra pay.but AA employees shouldn't be subjected to the macro influences - such as mergers and reduced capacity in major markets - that can improve profitability. Or OPEC's moves which drive down oil prices.they should instead worry about Ebola which the media and Parker want

to blow way out of proportion as a scare technique to keep labor low paid at AA.
You are wrong , he has stated he will put the original wages back into the TA!!

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.