profit Sharing?

UPNAWAY said:
Nince union propoganda but mostly untrue. Most of those came about by business owners like Henry Ford competing against other business owners.

According to Google...Ford was founded in 1903.  For an example of groundwork laid by union employees before...take a look at the 1892 Homestead Strike.

Which came first...unions or bad management?

It's interesting how you'll defend unions to the end, even if it's the end of your career, versus considering the alternatives.

It's been my experience that employees at the non-unionized carriers tend to actually enjoy their jobs more, and those at heavily entrenched unionized airlines tend to be more bitter and unhappy.

I can't imagine wanting to continue to work in a perpetually bitter environment, but I made a clear choice not to.

Reactions: 4 people
700UW said:
And Ford was unionized.
Not until 1941, several years after GM and Chrysler were organized by the UAW.   Wasn't Ford Motor Co one of the most violent employers in resisting union organizing? 

eolesen said:
It's interesting how you'll defend unions to the end, even if it's the end of your career, versus considering the alternatives.

It's been my experience that employees at the non-unionized carriers tend to actually enjoy their jobs more, and those at heavily entrenched unionized airlines tend to be more bitter and unhappy.

I can't imagine wanting to continue to work in a perpetually bitter environment, but I made a clear choice not to.

Just an FYI..I'm not in a union...never have been.  And, I absolutely believe there're major issues with unions, however, I give credit where credit is do.  

I don't disagree that non-union employees can be happier...but, that's, at least partially, because they're relatively satisfied with their salary/benefits.  You have to ask yourself, why is their salary/benefits acceptable?  Management benevolence?  

As an example, the LAA Res offices had always been non-union.  In 2003, the company took vacation/pay/etc. from them.  In every year that there was a vote to unionize or not, the company slowly gave pay/benefits back.  The mere threat of a union improved their pay/benefits.  

No doubt...now that they are union, they do complain about the loss of flexibility...however, they did get quite a salary increase.

Reactions: 1 person
I find it INCREDIBLY hypocritical of Republican politicians who pine for manufacturing jobs....but are extremely anti-union.  Why do they want the manufacturing jobs?  Because they typically come with good pay/benefits.  And why is that?

Boeing in South Carolina is a perfect example.  The non-union employees there benefit because of the union employees in Washington.  If the Washington employees fight for and get a raise...Boeing would make sure to give it to the SC employees as well.  But, what if there's no one to fight for a an increase?  What if the Washington employees agree to a $10 an hour pay cut...and agree to be non-union?

I think we can all agree unions, in the beginning,  had a genuine purpose and appeal to bring about fair compensation and work rules that would have otherwise never come about. The problem now is that union leaders refuse to remind their members they all have an obligation to be productive, being an asset to a company instead of a liability. How can anyone ask for a raise in negotiations without proving their worth? Unions would not be in decline if they would simply make sure gains outweighed losses.
Company's, like Delta, have chosen to reward their employees with very generous bonuses for years along with upper tier pay and benefits. Is it the politicians fault that Delta's employees choose not to unionize or the company's fault by treating them so well? 

Reactions: 3 people
Birdman said:
I think we can all agree unions, in the beginning,  had a genuine purpose and appeal to bring about fair compensation and work rules that would have otherwise never come about. The problem now is that union leaders refuse to remind their members they all have an obligation to be productive, being an asset to a company instead of a liability. How can anyone ask for a raise in negotiations without proving their worth? Unions would not be in decline if they would simply make sure gains outweighed losses.
Company's, like Delta, have chosen to reward their employees with very generous bonuses for years along with upper tier pay and benefits. Is it the politicians fault that Delta's employees choose not to unionize or the company's fault by treating them so well? 

I can agree with much of that...unions do need to change with the times.

700UW said:
Go ask the 40% and climbing ready reserve at DL about that.
If individuals know up-front that RR is a raw deal then why do they continue to accept a job offer?
Perhaps it fits a need that the individual looks for. Ever think of that?

Go save the fish from drowning some place elese.

People are not that destitute in the US that they will settle for 1 or 2 days a week, just for the sake of being employed!

Get real dude!

DL doesnt tell them all the bad things.

Go ask DL employees about it.

And they stay as they are trying to be a regular employee.

Airlinelifer said:
Non union airlines like this one are "contracting out" it's benefitted positions in ACS every single day. In my station in the last 6 years every FT position that has opened up do to retirement or transfer has been filled by RR. We've had 1 (ONE) RR position move up to a (PT) benefitted position and 1 (ONE) PT move up to an FT position. All the other positions were cut to RR positions.

The companies goal is 50% benefitted and 50% non benefitted at the spoke stations.

RR's are one thing, but to also have DGS or a host of contractures work the ramp at large stations, while the airline is "printing money" is totally incomprehensible. Why shouldn't mainline be working at these large stations? Why is the natural progression of RR >PT > FT being held back.

If a $1,000,000,000 a quarter is not enough?

If not now, WHEN?

Airlinelifer said:
Your absolutely right, they can do whatever they so desire. to justify having:  
 a. more benefitted positions        
 b. opening ramp positions to mainline ramp at large contracted out airports.

With the companies logic, they can open places like RDU, MIA, PBI with mainline ramp positions and fill them with 50% or more RR, and they still won't do it.

I must admit that Parker coming up with a profit sharing plan is not something I ever expected to see happen.  I guess Team Tempe really wants to show that they have changed their culture.  But I think the employees would just as soon see Parker whip middle management into line on the "new" corporate culture than throw money at it.  Money really won't change employees attitudes as quickly as as will respect for them and for their contracts.

Reactions: 2 people
bob@las-AA said:
Back on topic!

Thank you Mr. Parker for the profit sharing, but will I be able to dump that fat PS check into my 401k tax deferred?

Not sure, but if not you could put it in an IRA and still enjoy tax deferment.

Reactions: 2 people