Protests Around The World

This idea is part of the problem at least in my opinion. Higher education should be free to anyone who can maintain a cert GPA. Society benefits from an educated society. I have no idea what you define as a 'privilege' who who is deserving of said privilege ( I hope it is not based on money) but anyone who wants to go to school and who can prove that the deserve it (GPA) should go free. The benefit to society will be paid back ten fold.

Students who maintain a good GPA go through university free (scholarships). That is the way I did it (well almost for free, I still had to take some student loans and hold on to part time + summer jobs, but I made it). And it seems to me that these days there are more and more scholarships / fellowships / bursaries, etc. available to students then when I went through the system.

Those students who do not have the GPA for scholarships should have access to student loans. Loans, not grants.

BTW - the EU system of "free" college etc. may sound great, but in reality students are pre-selected early to go either to college (the select few, for free ofcourse) and the rest are herded to vocational schools (for free, ofcourse). I don't think that is the system that we should be striving for.

This is just my opinion, but here it goes:

1) higher education (post-secondary) is not a right but a priveledge
2) If the government in the US ever gets to run health care the level of service would be equal to the local DMV, at best.
3) In the USA I'm rewarded for my hard work, which is not as much as others in my field who are more drive, but then I work at my own pace. In Europe I would be punished by high taxes on my income to subsides the incomes of the lazy who have decided to rely on the government.

So thanks but no thanks to EU standards. There are some nice things about EU (I have relatives and property there too), but I would not trade the American lifestyle for EU in a million of years.

I have news for you. Your standard of living is being lowered daily by the same capitalists who sold you the "american dream."
Your savings and buying power are being eroded by inflation and by the intentional devaluation of the dollar. Welcome to globalization! The capitalists have been on a "free trade"/"free market" feeding frenzy throughout the third world and Russia and are now turning on the fat, dumb and happy american sheeple. The biggest cash cow yet!
It is called the "Shock Doctrine"(great book by Naomi Klein), or economic shock and awe.
Don't worry. All that economy stuff is too boring and complicated. Keep watching American Idol and NASCAR, stuff that really matters. Don't forget t to support the war of empire...I mean war on terror. Oh yes, go out and spend your stimulus check so you can help the economy!
EU standards? You'll be begging for EU standards once the globalists get through with the U.S.!

It is called the "Shock Doctrine"(great book by Naomi Klein), or economic shock and awe.

I read it (or most of it). It was entertaining, but rather dissapointing. I found "The Klein Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Polemics" to be the better read. Cheers.

The American Empire, just like empires before, will eventually fall and be replaced by te next rising star. It does look like the Americas star is setting.

I have news for you. Your standard of living is being lowered daily by the same capitalists who sold you the "american dream."
Your savings and buying power are being eroded by inflation and by the intentional devaluation of the dollar. Welcome to globalization! The capitalists have been on a "free trade"/"free market" feeding frenzy throughout the third world and Russia and are now turning on the fat, dumb and happy american sheeple. The biggest cash cow yet!
Don't worry. All that economy stuff is too boring and complicated. Keep watching American Idol and NASCAR, stuff that really matters. Don't forget t to support the war of empire...I mean war on terror. Oh yes, go out and spend your stimulus check so you can help the economy!
EU standards? You'll be begging for EU standards once the globalists get through with the U.S.!
Che had a look at your posts do you even work for an airline or in the avation business? :blink: Just wondering if you might have come over on the Mariel Boatlift, perhaps one of the prisoners that Fidel sent over. check out this site and relax http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dmcm/ I think the word is TROLL :shock: and because you like adding a little of the Fatherland to your posts this is just for you, "Du bist ein Rindvieh! " !!!!!! LOTFLMFAO :up:

AASTEW -

I have an uncle who would agree with you.
He is a geophysicist. He was born in Iowa, got his bachelors in Colorado and his graduate degrees in Europe. He lived most of his life in London, his wife was born in London, and his kids were born in London. When he retired, they moved back to the U.S.
I know plenty of people who retired to Ireland, I dont know anyone who spent their working lives in Europe and chose to retire here.

Frugal Flyer;
Students who maintain a good GPA go through university free (scholarships). That is the way I did it (well almost for free, I still had to take some student loans and hold on to part time + summer jobs, but I made it). And it seems to me that these days there are more and more scholarships / fellowships / bursaries, etc. available to students then when I went through the system.

Its obviuosly been a while. Student loans are not that easy to get anymore.Plus not all C students have the Bush's as parents. College is pretty much a neccesity.

Those students who do not have the GPA for scholarships should have access to student loans. Loans, not grants.

So they can start their careers deep in debt?

BTW - the EU system of "free" college etc. may sound great, but in reality students are pre-selected early to go either to college (the select few, for free ofcourse) and the rest are herded to vocational schools (for free, ofcourse). I don't think that is the system that we should be striving for.

So now you are against meritocracy?

So far globalization and free trade have benefited me and hundred of millions of Americans greatly.
Viva la Reagan Revolucion !

Its obviuosly been a while. Student loans are not that easy to get anymore.Plus not all C students have the Bush's as parents. College is pretty much a neccesity.
So they can start their careers deep in debt?

Whatever happenned to personal responsibility? I started my career off in debt but managed to pay off my student loans in 5 years. I looked at the debt rather as an investment. I invested in undergrad and grad education. One of the problems with student loans is that students use them not to pay for tuition etc., but for stereo's, vacations, cars, etc., then they're shocked that after 4 years in college they have $100K loan to pay off.

Don't you already have meritocracy in the current system? There is no barrier to those who want to go to college and have the GPA. I'm oppossed to a system where I'm designated into vocational schools or college at a certain age. I entered college thinking I had my major/degree and career planned out, only to go into a different field/major (& subsequent career) in my 3rd year.

So far globalization and free trade have benefited me and hundred of millions of Americans greatly.
Viva la Reagan Revolucion !
Reagan revolution. That's funny. Reagan was a b grade actor who after he was shot became Daddy Bush's hand puppet. Goes to show you can package anything in a U.S. flag and the sheep will buy it.

Does that "package & buy" include Sen. B. Hussein Obama?
Bingo! I think you are finally getting it.
The same corporate interests contol both parties. All the election hooppla is like watching WWE. Pure facade, to make the sheeple think they are in control.

Latest posts

Back