PSA Shortage

gabby

Senior
Jul 24, 2006
Just listened to the crew meeting that are posted on the hub, and the Pilot shortage problem came up twice.

I hope management is reading this.

The real reason there is a pilot shortage at PSA and Piedmont is this...And you don't have to be a genious to figure it out.

20 days on the road staying in sub par hotels per month.
Harassement from scheduling daily.
Inefficient schedules.
No extra pay for working holidays, weekends...
Poor reserve system.

ALL THIS FOR $21,000/year.

Flying a 33 million dollar jet for this is wrong. And now management is feeling the effects of their greed.
And who suffers? We do by being harrassed by scheduling each and every day.
If you want to solve the pilot shortage then cough up some $$$.
We make less in a year than Doug P. makes in one day.
Managment thinks people won't go to Piedmont because they fly Props...This couldn't be further from the truth.
Pilots will fly anything if the money is right. At the moment the Money just ain't right! Its about 20 years behind.
Change that and problem solved.

Just listened to the crew meeting that are posted on the hub, and the Pilot shortage problem came up twice.

The real reason there is a pilot shortage at PSA and Piedmont is this...And you don't have to be a genious to figure it out.

Inefficient schedules.
Poor reserve system.

Flying a 33 million dollar jet for this is wrong. And now management is feeling the effects of their greed.
Managment thinks people won't go to Piedmont because they fly Props...This couldn't be further from the truth.
Pilots will fly anything if the money is right. At the moment the Money just ain't right! Its about 20 years behind.

Yea! The industry is totally taken a change!! I love it!!

Yes and

HONOR THE CONTRACT.

STOP ABUSING AND THREATENING YOUR EMPLOYEES.

A shred of human respect would go a long way.

Yes and

HONOR THE CONTRACT.

STOP ABUSING AND THREATENING YOUR EMPLOYEES.

A shred of human respect would go a long way.

What are you refusing? I am going to call your chief pilot.

Inefficient schedules.
Poor reserve system.

All this is in the contract, how can this be a surprise? Why don't you stand up and make a decision that will better your life? Don't be a victim like some of this people on here.

All this is in the contract, how can this be a surprise? Why don't you stand up and make a decision that will better your life? Don't be a victim like some of this people on here.

Actually, a fair amount of stuff they are doing is NOT in the contract, or past practices go one way and all of the sudden they are going another. Sure, a lot of stuff sucks here because it has ALWAYS been that way, but the daily reinterpretations of some stuff is getting a little old.

Express paid/benefits has always been at the bottom of the airline pay scales.
Airline management used this disparity to whipsaw the union to close the gap thus bringing down mainline pay/benefits. The unions love due paying express carrier employees, in union theory the gap is negotiated up but management has out smarted the union on this. As a result the pay gap was negotiated down to express level. Less incentive for express employees, especially agents. But I guess there will always be the shiny jet syndrome.

Express paid/benefits has always been at the bottom of the airline pay scales.
Airline management used this disparity to whipsaw the union to close the gap thus bringing down mainline pay/benefits. The unions love due paying express carrier employees, in union theory the gap is negotiated up but management has out smarted the union on this. As a result the pay gap was negotiated down to express level. Less incentive for express employees, especially agents. But I guess there will always be the shiny jet syndrome.

We don't have shiny jet syndrome. We are here because mainline bargained away scope because they thought they would save their pensions. We are here because ALPA eats its own and bargained away our futures. We don't have SJS.

We don't have shiny jet syndrome. We are here because mainline bargained away scope because they thought they would save their pensions. We are here because ALPA eats its own and bargained away our futures. We don't have SJS.
PSA crj200/700, pay scale please
PDT DH8, pay scale please
SJS got crj 200/700 for PSA

Maybe you don't have SJS -- but the former PSA Dornier 328 pilots sure did. They couldn't have been happier to take "Dad's" flying in shiny-new RJs for industry trailing pay.

I just feel bad for the furloughed pilots who got suckered into J4J there and are now held (imprisoned?) from returning to mainline.

That was a long time ago and most of us were not even on the property.

Let me get this staight. The PSA pilots problems are all US mainline pilots fault? You weren't here when the pay rates were established, but you took the job knowing the rates, and now it is our fault? Here's an idea. Negotiate your own scope. Next thing you know Al Gore will be saying global warming is US pilots fault. I wish we would sell all the wholly owned off. My paycuts paid for your airplanes.

p.s. We did screw up. All the rat jets should have been on the mainline, flown by mainline pilots, but DL let that horse out of the barn, and US ALPA held the line longer than anyone else.

Maybe you don't have SJS -- but the former PSA Dornier 328 pilots sure did. They couldn't have been happier to take "Dad's" flying in shiny-new RJs for industry trailing pay.

I just feel bad for the furloughed pilots who got suckered into J4J there and are now held (imprisoned?) from returning to mainline.

while were pointing fingers....Lets start with Delta, they started the Regional Jet Business Plan.
If you were going to compete then you had to follow suit. So Northwest, Unitied and last to follow was US Air.

So the jets were going somewhere.
Now ALPO should have set an industry wide rate to fly these airplanes. But the overpaid lawyers didn't think of that.

So it all boils down to reality. And reality is what we are living today.
We are underpaid. When the last contract was negotiated gas for my car was a buck a gallon. Now it is $3.
The wages and contracts were all negotiated because of current conditions. And those conditions changed.
Now people aren't willing to spend $60k plus to go to Pilot School for a $21,000/year job.
Management is to blame because they thought that the supply was endless.
Even today some management believe that the shortage is over. This is how blind they are.
The worst is yet to come. Flight Schools cannot get flight instructors. So how are they going to train the new students if there are any?
If the wholly owned want good qualified pilot then they will have to pay more. But they don't want to pay more so now we are
stuck flying with 300hr wonders. Real Safe.

Back