Public Rebuke of US Airways CEO

Do you think he submitted this over the web to customer relations? He may have a better shot at getting a response. At least they would respond with a $25 voucher probably. DP just won't reply. Even if he wanted to, he wouldn't know what to say--better get kinglobjaw on the horn, Kirby's too busy trying on a girdle for next year's Halloween bash.
I heard old lobjaw is already doing damage control....dougie's bringing in the big guns. I think Casey and Specter should do a Southwest commercial.

And it matters, because ultimately you should ask yourself if Congress should be in the business of running an airline. The clear answer is no. Even a circle-jerk airline like US Airways! The last thing I want is some blowfly politico getting emboldened about meddling in the internal affairs of any airline. And when Spector began nipping at Parker about US offering to surrender 3 of its domestic gates instead its international gates, Arlen steps over the line. It was a straw man argument to play off of the media plain and simple.

Remember, these jerks in Congress ( especially guys like Spector who has been around for years ) have had lots of opportunity to improve the operational aspects for all airlines by implementing substantive changes in procedure and technology in the FAA and ATC, and Congress has always failed to push the agenda into the future. We pax throughout the country, but especially in the northeast are paying for this lack of action with all of the operational delays which flow from an ATC system that is flooded beyond capacity at times. US sticks it right up the pax's butts with its operational failures this year. But the government and folks like Spector also bear a responsibility here. So yeah, DP got spanked and he had it coming. And I too enjoyed it.

But I'm not gonna smile anytime I see a yahoo from Congress thinking that he's the cock of the rock. Fact is that in some ways, DP and Spector are equally removed from real people as both are too busy moving around in their own circles of power and delusion.

Barry

Thanks! You have a great balanced viewpoint to this incident.....and you use colorful descriptive phrases that I wish I could use.

. . . This goes WAY BACK when the late Sen. John Heinz and Arlen Specter . . . worked their butts off to get funding for the new PIT airport. Things seemed to be going well with the politicos right up until Dave Siegel.

That's my point here Eye. Arlen is living in the past by positing static outrage about a world which is dynamic and changes. That airport deal was cut in different times and differnet economics from the present.

OTOH Arlen is utilizing his oversight capacity to raise questions on behalf of his constiutents. Indeed, it's not pleasing to learn that US is de-emphasizing PIT. But a subjective observer must concede that what's going at PIT or any other mini-hub airport like PIT is a product of the market and the times we live in. Lots of airlines are facing this sort of dilemma as the rules of the game keep changing. Arlen wants his cake and he wants to eat it too when he assails US as the Darth Vader of airlines for their PIT move. Times have indeed changed since both Sigel and Arlen sat down to broker an airport deal.

As to Sigel leaving Arlen at the altar when US goes BK -- Adam Smith talks all about self-interest and economics ( and pointedly he wants government out of the picture ). Sigel did what he had to do as a business man. He kept his airline afloat and in so doing, lots of folks had jobs & pax had an airline to fly. Of all people, Arlen should know the game of self-interest as Arlen has gone his own way to protect his own self-interests when he sees fit -- even against his own party -- that's life. I'm calling Arlen out on his feigned incredulity in front of the media as it doesn't speak to the real essence of PIT.

I tend to agree with you that a partial motiving factor here is payback, both for deceiving words and slippery deeds by Tempe, and lingering aner about Siegel. And Doug has really dug himself a hole with his inept deceptions. But what's really wrong with Tempe is their sloppy style and arrogant attitude which in turn has turned the product into crap -- and unreliable crap at that. But ultimately, US is just another airline in the industry. At the moment, it is being badly run. Mr. Parker has been called out on the carpet and righfully so, because he and his management team have behaved like arrogant jackasses and it has had a public impact. And make no mistake, this was a Master Card moment that I too enjoy. He had it coming after all of the operational fiascos that he and his team have dropped upon employees and paxs alike.

But be careful what you wish for when a politico like Arlen starts thumping his chest in holier-than-thou anger. Arlen is not completely right, nor is he acting purely on behalf of his constituents. He's a blow hard politician who's also full of himself and used to wielding his power against others. And he's dangerous because he is placed closer to the wheels of power than most of us. Ultimately, it's up to PHL and US to work our their differences without Arlen throwing his weight around in a constituency which doesn't even vote for him in strong numbers ( PHL is and will always be a dem city ). Now PIT is indeed his baby, so no surprise that his nipples are hard and he says "I'm not gonna take it anymore". That line works fine in a movie, but not in aviation. That's our line!

If Arlen can spank DP and send him to bed without dinner, that's fine by me. But be wary of politicos who try to run an airline. They will take an industry that's already screwed up and FUBAR it until you can't even recognize it.

Barry

(and he basically has the job for as long as he wants it).

Not necessarily. As I recall, he Senator Specter had a very contentious fight for the Republican nomination last time around. His moderate views were seen by many of his party as not Republican enough, and another candidate mounted an effective campaign to keep Specter from getting that nomination. The USAirways employees were even enlisted to make efforts to help Specter win the nomination.

I could run this airline better Deaf and half blind...sheesh...where did Parker get his MBA from? PU University because all I smell is caca coming from him.
Well if you think you can do better, do...
And, by the way, where did YOU get your MBA?

Our CEO has an MBA? :blink: Who knew? :rolleyes: I think it's a stretch to assume that MANY in that building even have a GED. If a degree, maybe one that Sally Struthers pushed. TV and VCR repair, etc. :lol: All joking aside, the management team doesn't come across as being the smartest bunch. Whether Mr. Barker was set up in that interview or not makes NO difference. He was made to look a fool and should have been able to answer the simple questions at hand. Come on the guy don't even know how many gates we have? Couldn't answer the question of whether US asked for Delta to take domestic gates in B or C. Please......he deserved to get his @SS handed back to himself. I think it has pretty much screwed US on getting ANYTHING from the state. Some may disagree for reasons of their own but IMO US needs the state more than it would ever need US.

sally-struthers.jpg

When Specter handed the mic over to Doug I think he set a record with how many "uhs" he said in about a 10 second period...he just didn't know where to start....I wonder if Doug watched it himself to see how ill prepared he was...for a split nano-second, I felt sorry for him.
Can't say that I am surprised on this one. When Parker speaks he comes across as a Big Dope that thinks his Boyish charm will make people want to believe and trust him.......you can hear it weekly on his Employee Newsline. Obviously never took a public speaking class, and if memory serves me correct he got his MBA from Vanderbilt. Spector's tirade served no purpose other than to make HIM look like he is concerned. If Parker and his Management Team say that PIT has been losing money, either the State and Local Government needed to step up and come to terms with a WORKABLE Solution........otherwise shut the hell up- IT'S BUSINESS 101, cut your losses and PULL OUT. The past is the past, PIT is not the MECCA of the Aviation World and people need to realize this.

A ? I have, for the very few here who take anything seriously, is how can Parker now save face and still apologize for his threats to the region and also get back in the good graces of Senator Specter?

Seems he has to either fall on his sword and apologize to everyone for both the China threat and the method he used to downsize PIT, or without admitting guilt publicly, make certain 2-340s are parked at PHL ASAP and give something to partially placate PIT, like a seasonal European flight. As I mentioned in some earlier post, we are really at a disadvantage in not knowing what Parker's "real" agenda is - e.g., a merger with UA, which already has China authority out of IAD and would very likely not support a PIT Focus City.
this is an important consideration, if conundrum.
in true impoTEMPE fashion, this mis-management team has not considered the consequences of their actions. here's an important analogy that DoUgIe should (but won't) accept: the same insurmountable powers that led to his arrest, conviction, and incarceration for dui are operative in the business world in the form of political power. people can (as they have in the precipitating discussions on this thread) dispute the "fairness" of that power all day long...but it's the reality of our world. "fairness" is irrelevant. DoUgIe's lying to that power, however, IS significant! and will be... too bad DoUgIe didn't choose to be a hollywood star where this power is irrelevant.
nevertheless, short of an expedited regime change, the consequences for the employees of usairways are not good. not good at all. and despite what is being cooked up behind the scenes (DoUgIe said in the press conference "we aren't working on anything"; so, we should assume the opposite); regulatory approval for any merger scenario, obviously, requires political power.
and, to reply to a recent poster, DoUgIe did earn his MBA at Vanderbilt. what a pathetic biproduct of an otherwise INCREDIBLE academic institution...

this is an important consideration, if conundrum.
in true impoTEMPE fashion, this mis-management team has not considered the consequences of their actions. here's an important analogy that DoUgIe should (but won't) accept: the same insurmountable powers that led to his arrest, conviction, and incarceration for dui are operative in the business world in the form of political power. people can (as they have in the precipitating discussions on this thread) dispute the "fairness" of that power all day long...but it's the reality of our world. "fairness" is irrelevant. DoUgIe's lying to that power, however, IS significant! and will be... too bad DoUgIe didn't choose to be a hollywood star where this power is irrelevant.
nevertheless, short of an expedited regime change, the consequences for the employees of usairways are not good. not good at all. and despite what is being cooked up behind the scenes (DoUgIe said in the press conference "we aren't working on anything"; so, we should assume the opposite); regulatory approval for any merger scenario, obviously, requires political power.

Very well stated in my opinion. Right on point, excellent perspective.

And it won't be good for the good people at US.

Funny....how many times have I heard this person, Dougie, say, "the city of PHX doesn't like us, they've always favored WN." Or recently after this summer's melt down in PHL on the international front; (you know, the one where aircraft were filthy and didn't work right which was blamed on gate space and the former management of US in CCY) when he said, "well, the city of PHL doesn't really like us, mostly because I don't think they thought we'd be here......" blah, blah, blah.

This is EXACTLY what Legacy-to-LCC is talking about....it has NOTHING to do with who likes who....its business, its how you carry and conduct yourself....it's SHOWING THE VENDOR, in this case the city of PHL, THE MONEY!

This Miss-Management team is hack...they don't get it....and until they realize that ALL good deals are "Win-Win" deals, people are ALWAYS going to discount US....and that's not good for the good people that make up US.

With this management team it is ALWAYS someone else's fault. They NEVER take the blame for the mistakes. They have shifting the blame down to an art form. I'm still waiting to hear who it is we ARE to like and what qualities when it comes to management. I don't hate anyone but I couldn't possibly care any LESS than I do now. Usairways is THE laughing stock of the airline industry and I don't care HOW much money you pulled in. You PULLED in that money due to employees and the contracts they work under. No talent at the top sorry. As for just business, if US left PHL tomorrow (not being a true PHL supporter to a degree) I do understand the airport and demographics enough to know that the void would be filled. You may not have int'l travel to ever city you have now but you'd have quite a bit of transatlantic lift. As for China, folks going there from PHL seem to get by now don't they? Would be a huge win for PHL but not the end all.

With this management team it is ALWAYS someone else's fault. They NEVER take the blame for the mistakes. They have shifting the blame down to an art form.

Boy is that the truth....I don't know that they've "perfected" it though....it's still too easy to see they are a bunch of finger pointers to almost any and everyone.

Usairways is THE laughing stock of the airline industry and I don't care HOW much money you pulled in.

True....flew UA in F yesterday...the F/As on the ORD-PVD segment were chatting with me....I was explaining my connection and they both were telling me how they had heard some not-so-good things about what's become of the once proud US Airways.

Specter, other Pa. lawmakers issue a public rebuke of US Airways CEO.
'Half of what was said couldn't be printed in a newspaper'

Visit Website

Linemech

http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc1.htm

$100 Oil. Pilot Shortages. ATC Collapse. Labor On The Warpath.
Aviation Strategies: Really Up In The Air

The sky isn't falling.

But it's moving around a whole lot - as far as the airline industry's concerned, the stars are in completely different locations compared to three months ago.

Last week, we issued an e-mail alert to clients of The Boyd Group, outlining our analyses of potential shifts in the strategic direction of the airline industry. The entire equation for air travel demand - costs, revenues, destinational demand, traffic demographics - is fundamentally shifting.

Our research of emerging air service economics, and our contacts within the airline industry indicate that carriers are going to begin to materially re-think their entire strategies. What was in the cards last summer may well be in the round file with the specter of $100 oil.

This will be across the board - domestic, international, mainline, and contracted services from small jet providers. This will be particularly noticeable where 50-seat (and smaller) regional jets are concerned.

Without question, airlines have no choice but to re-visit their existing route systems to determine market-by-market efficiency within very new economic metrics. There's the jump in fuel prices toward $3 a gallon. The continuing ATC mess and total lack of intelligent leadership from Washington. Labor getting frisky. And the very real potential for a downturn in air traffic demand, which could come with some suddenness. Airline planners are probably doing a lot of overtime. In some cases, expect some clean-sheet shifts in strategic and tactical plans going forward.

We've issued an Aviation Research Report covering the matter in detail. It can be accessed by clicking here.

It was in the USA Today was well. WOW, looks like for lunch on Capital Hill the special was Roast Rump of Doug! He got tore the hell up and deserved it! The Philly paper has a great photo of Doug trying to dance around the issue and Sen. Spector looks none too amused.
View attachment 6736

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/2007/11/lawmakers-grill.html

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/business/20...nes_threat.html

I think the lesson is: never do business in Pennsylvania in the first place, ever. I think I'll avoid it altogether except for the Head of the Schuylkill, when it's not cancelled.

Latest posts

Back