Southwest CEO reaffirms interest in Charlotte

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Southwest CEO reaffirms interest in Charlotte
TONY [email protected]

Southwest Airlines' chief executive said in an interview published today that the low-fare airline is still considering Charlotte for a possible expansion.

Responding to a question about where the airline will expand next, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly told the Wall Street Journal: "Right now we have half a dozen cities high on the list. There's only one we've said publicly that I will repeat: Charlotte."

An entry by Southwest into Charlotte would almost certainly result in lower airfares. Because it is a US Airways hub with little low-fare competition, Charlotte's airport has the third-highest fares of any major airport in the country, according to federal data.

Kelly and Charlotte airport officials have previously said that Southwest, the nation's seventh-largest airline, has eyed the city, but it has passed it over in favor of expansions in cities including Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Denver and Fort Myers, Fla.

In the newspaper interview, Kelly continued: "Obviously Charlotte isn't rising to the top of the list yet. It was beat by Fort Myers and Denver. I don't know whether we'll have another new city next year. A lot of our decision will depend on how fast Denver develops, but also what else happens.

"So if there is a dramatic change in Big City A, maybe that's an opportunity for us."

The big problem is where to put them. US takes up all the gates except in Concourse A.

Charlotte will launch a "Manhattan Project" to build a new concourse just for SWA if they ever committed to start serving the airport. Given enough incentive, it could be done in no time (remember, the Empire State Building went up in a year in 1931.) BWI quickly built a new concourse, and CLT would be no different. Piedmont/USAirways built that pretty skyline for CLT by providing air service necessary to attract those banks and international firms. But there is no loyalty in this industry among airlines, their employees, customers or cities served.

CLT: the next PIT.

GSO just finished a new brand new wing for Delta, I hear they don't want now that they have filed BK. My money is on Southwest moving into it.

This is yet another reason employees must realize the importance of the fact we are in an industry that is cut throat and costs must be kept in check to make it. Remember.....we have merged and southwest knows that we are stronger than ever and just as quickly as Southwest came after America West in 1983, they will come after US Airways...the old America West.

after 2009 when WNs hedge dies out, well see what happens then, i bet the fares will double then and they will know how tuff it is to be in a industry like this

Notice how i said if WN ever entered CLT. I know there are very few if any free gates for WN to use at the present time thus making it virtually impossible for WN to enter CLT right now.

If WN enters CLT they are basically doing it to put up a fight against US. I suggest PHX, LAS, PIT, and PHL namely because they are probably the cities that US gouges the price because of little or no competition. Look what WN did at PHL-PIT.

Notice how i said if WN ever entered CLT. I know there are very few if any free gates for WN to use at the present time thus making it virtually impossible for WN to enter CLT right now.

If WN enters CLT they are basically doing it to put up a fight against US. I suggest PHX, LAS, PIT, and PHL namely because they are probably the cities that US gouges the price because of little or no competition. Look what WN did at PHL-PIT.

Very few gates?

The D concourse are usage controlled gates the clt airport is free to give them away.......the only way US can hold on to those is to use them to the level needed......hmmm makes a little sensenow why Mesa is using rjs on the C concourse and flts are/were moved to D. B and C are signatory gates so is most of A......competition plan is on this site it explains it ALL
http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Airport/Home.htm

Charlotte will launch a "Manhattan Project" to build a new concourse just for SWA if they ever committed to start serving the airport. Given enough incentive, it could be done in no time (remember, the Empire State Building went up in a year in 1931.) BWI quickly built a new concourse, and CLT would be no different. Piedmont/USAirways built that pretty skyline for CLT by providing air service necessary to attract those banks and international firms. But there is no loyalty in this industry among airlines, their employees, customers or cities served.

CLT: the next PIT.
The only problem with the "Manhattan Project" is there really is no space for an additional concourse. The master plan calls for "L"ing off C & B con and adding a 29 gate intl concourse which would require moving all rental cars off site over to the old Moores park.

Latest posts