Question About Dispatchers.

pitguy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Could someone on here answer the following about the Dispatchers at 'U' please?

1- How much cash does a Dispatcher make? (Before and after these recent wage cuts)

2- Is it true that most of them were ramp employees whom went to school for about six weeks and received a dispatchers license and that was all that had to be done?

If you do not feel comfortable answering these questions on this board please feel free to private message me.

Thank you!

I don't know what a Dispatcher makes but Dispatcher are licensed by the Federal Aviation Administration. There are Dispatcher schools across the Country that prepare you, just like flight training and A&P schools do, to take your FAA examines.

FAR Part 65-Certification: Airmen other than Flight Crewmembers Subpart C-Airport Dispatchers.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...0.1.1.4&idno=14

Have a friend that's been a dispatcher for about 23 years now. Prior to BKII, by working some overtime, he told me he could bring in close to 100k a year. I've noticed over the years that very little is said or asked about dispatch. Wonder why?

speedbird86 said:
..... I've noticed over the years that very little is said or asked about dispatch. Wonder why?
[post="186588"][/post]​
It's that way at NW as well (and was at the other airlines I worked at previously). Strange that such an integral part of an airline can be so insular....

I appreciate the replies. I was told that the Dispatcher position was one that required about 6 weeks of time to get the license and tops out paying $117,500 at 'U' and I was curious to see if that is correct. Once again thank you.

It takes approximately 2 years to get an A&P and a mechanic tops out @ considerably less.

As in other posts - and although I'm not a U employee, job worth at U seems to be skewed. I understand these guys and gals also have great 4 on 4 off shifts not to mention all the overtime available to them. Guess when your part of flight operations.......I won't say more.

"Guess when your part of flight operations.......I won't say more."

Then why not become part of flight ops. Go get the license, wait for an opening and voila.

Envy is such a sad trait.

Dizel8 said:
"Guess when your part of flight operations.......I won't say more."

Then why not become part of flight ops. Go get the license, wait for an opening and voila.

Envy is such a sad trait.
[post="186611"][/post]​

I agree. It's not like these jobs were undercover operations.

Getting a dispatchers license takes about six-nine weeks, depending on the school. Passing the exam depends entirely on the student...

But actually getting a job as a dispatcher? Good luck. I know several folks who have their ticket, but can't even get a job interview for the position at the airlines they work at.

It's very much like pilots -- you have to put in your time making cr@p wages at a place like Chickentaqo, and then pray for an interview at one of the majors. Even there, you're also up against folks who were furloughed, and have major airline experience.

"But actually getting a job as a dispatcher? Good luck."

But that is how the game is played if you want to be a player. Sitting around griping about what someone gets paid is rather silly.

The figure of 117000 dollars would be much above the base salary and require working additional positions and overtime but could be done. The schedule now is going back to a five day work week and the base salary lower of course. I do agree it was a very quiet group and not well advertised as an option to try and transfer. When it was Allegheny you could request an interview and maybe even get one but if you had less than 10 years with the company it was usually fruitless. It is a very nice job though if you can get it...even with the lesser benefits now.

Have no idea what a dispatcher makes, non of my buz, but they DO hold a Fed. Lic., like mx. and pilots. It sets them apart.