question about F/A and Pilot paycuts

Jan 11, 2006
Just wondering if AA is pressuring you for more cuts? Seems as if AA stews and pilots are making considerably more than the industry "standard" now and especially with NWA and DAL in BK and getting their costs lower, I was wondering if you guys are being pressured for more cuts? Over at USAir they are screaming cost neutral to keep wages down and it seems as if the pilots at AA are making 20+ more dollars per hour than the "industry standard" and the f/a's well we all know we make way less... In a recent crewnews our CEO was targeted on our salaries compared to CAL and AA as well as the rest of the airlines -
The obvious response was.... With DAL and NWA in BK and USAIR and UAL having already gone through it we will have competitive salaries after their restructuring - if they make it. As for Jetblue and Airtran you can't compare them because they really have very few A scale employees due to the immaturity of the companies. So that leaves AA and CAL and the way it was put was that with 4 of the legacies at lower costs the other 2 have no choice but to cut salaries and it is just a matter of time. Just curious as to what AA has been asking for as far as cuts recently.. Especially now that they have to pay the pensions down some within 7 years.

Been pressured for 16 straight years. Don't really see a difference.

AA f/as have always equated $$s per hour as having an industry leading contract. I think they are now learning that without good work rules, $$s per hour don't mean very much.
They were "shocked" when the TWA f/as received a very substantial $$ per hour raise but brought home less at years end because of AAs 70s work rules and the high price paid for medical insurance + no 401K contributions. Reality is that the Co would like to keep everyone at minimum wage, no benefits, permanent reserve, and still cry poverty. I'm not sure any airline would be happy even if the workers had to write them a check for the "privilege" of being hired. This will continue until the Unions say "no". I was shocked at how easy the APFA made it for AA to abrogate so much and receive so little credit for the concessions. Certainly BK is a threat BUT value is established at the time the item is negotiated and the Co should not be able to dictate a lower value. Even BK Judges will listen to well documented evidence that requested contributions have been met. There was not one penny acknowledged for the loss of almost 6000 f/a positions. No credit was received for the loss of furlough pay...Oh, I forgot, that was a GIFT from John Ward to AA.Unbelievable!

There was not one penny acknowledged for the loss of almost 6000 f/a positions. No credit was received for the loss of furlough pay...Oh, I forgot, that was a GIFT from John Ward to AA.Unbelievable!

Bitter party of one, your table is now ready for your bitterness!

SWA flight attendants top out around $50.00 per flight hour after 12 years. It takes an AA flight attendant 15 years and we max out at less per hour then SWA.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='410446' date='Aug 27 2006, 02:09 PM']Bitter party of one, your table is now ready for your bitterness!

SWA flight attendants top out around $50.00 per flight hour after 12 years. It takes an AA flight attendant 15 years and we max out at less per hour then SWA.[/quote]

"Not I " said the little red hen. His arrogance was only exceeded by his ignorance and ALL AA f/as have suffered from his deeds. It was not only the former TWA f/as that lost out on furlough pay. (but it was a vindictive shot at the more senior TWA people because he was angry that AA gave us pay seniority) I think there are probably more disgusted with his actions, than agree with them. After all, the RPA voting discrepancy is still in front of the Judge. I retired because I knew nothing would ever change at AA and I had already experienced the best of the best...both PanAm and TWA.

"Not I " said the little red hen. His arrogance was only exceeded by his ignorance and ALL AA f/as have suffered from his deeds. It was not only the former TWA f/as that lost out on furlough pay. (but it was a vindictive shot at the more senior TWA people because he was angry that AA gave us pay seniority) I think there are probably more disgusted with his actions, than agree with them. After all, the RPA voting discrepancy is still in front of the Judge. I retired because I knew nothing would ever change at AA and I had already experienced the best of the best...both PanAm and TWA.

I am NOT a John WAArd fan at all! I hope he has been raked over the coals at the Deposition hearings in NYC. But, to sit and continue to complain about what is done and not changing is childish. You are retired and not coming back according to your message above. Do something productive and enjoy your "golden years" and hit the golf course. Better yet, hop in your Winnebago and cruise the country!

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='410470' date='Aug 27 2006, 03:45 PM']I am NOT a John WAArd fan at all! I hope he has been raked over the coals at the Deposition hearings in NYC. But, to sit and continue to complain about what is done and not changing is childish. You are retired and not coming back according to your message above. Do something productive and enjoy your "golden years" and hit the golf course. Better yet, hop in your Winnebago and cruise the country![/quote]

Don't like golf but love tennis and I'm way too young for the Winnebago. I was fortunate enough to prepare for another career during my 2 year hiatus at TWA in 1986. Besides, with a child living in Germany, I wanted my passes back. I get fussy in steerage. lol Seriously, I only retired because I felt that the APFA was not going to aggressively represent all of the members and that has been proven by the countless LOAs signed with no real relief for any of the membership. They have been unable to secure equal recall status with every other work group on the property and have allowed critical staffing issues to be resolved on a temporary basis at the snap of the Co's finger. After many years of union work I enjoy a sort of emeritus status and therefore watch very closely what is going on, not only at AA, but throughout the industry. I was yelling "watch the SEC filing" in April of 2003. This is one of the reasons the APFA message board was shut down so rapidly. You have more than 1000 of YOUR fellow members ready to fall off the seniority list in Oct. and the union is not lifting a finger to insure that they will have a choice to return. Some of our f/as were furloughed under the TWA agreement which at least had a 7 year recall. They did not receive ANY of the AA furlough package. Now all of a sudden, their remaining two years is being converted to the APFA agreement. The recent past defines the present and possibly the future. That is why reminders are so important. Do you want the next round of negotiations to be as disastrous as the last? This isn't about JW or TH-B but the abject apathy that continues within the f/a workforce.

Do you want the next round of negotiations to be as disastrous as the last? This isn't about JW or TH-B but the abject apathy that continues within the f/a workforce.

I will not be around for the next round of negotiAAtions! I am in the process of putting my degree to use...FINALLY! This is no longer a career, It's now a revolving door.

Just look at the following article from the NY Times from August 25, 2006: Poverty

I hope you enjoy your new found career and the tennis court.