More Wage And Benefit Cuts?

goingboeing

Veteran
Jan 30, 2004
Today as a result of United's [UAL] rejection of government backed financing ALL AA employees better be looking over your shoulder.
The Business Week article makes it clear that UAL will be coming after the employees pension funds and this will PUT TREMENDOUS PRESSURE ON THE OTHER MAJOR CARRIERS to do the same.

AMR,DAL,and CAL were mentioned in this article as "majors" that will have to make more wage and benefit cuts to survive.

Looks like I better get my resume up to date because if more cuts come there will not be any reason to stay at AA,and especially if major cuts are implemented in the present defined benefit pension plan.

Watch UAL very close because the pressure will also be on AA and right now UAL will be driving the bus for wage and benefit standards throughout the airline business.

Remember, it was the AMFA-represented UA mechanics that believed they would be better off in bankruptcy than out. A year and a half, one painful 1113© round of concessions, and three failed ATSB loan guarantee applications later, this is where they are at.

Let's get one thing straight LaBradford22! AMFA was not even on the property at UAL when they declared bankruptcy! It was the IAM,ALPA,UAL management that caused the downfall of UAL,not AMFA! At least UAL mechanics still have their holidays,vacation,sick time and are paid better than AA mechanics! If you don't know what your talking about,then don't say anything at all DUMBASS!

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
don't say anything at all DUMBASS!
Such refined language from a princess.

UAL employees will have 365 vacation days a year if they don't get their act together.

Oh my god! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Let's work for free so AA can buy more bankrupt airlines! Let's work for nothing so BUBBA can fly coast to coast for $50.00 roundtrip! Why on earth would anyone want to work for fair compensation.

As far as UAL or AA mechanics, we will take our skills elsewhere,if UAL or AA goes down. Many of us are leaving this god forsaken industry for good! There are tons of better paying jobs or careers in other industries for mechanics out there. There is life after the airline industry.

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
Oh my god! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Let's work for free so AA can buy more bankrupt airlines! Let's work for nothing so BUBBA can fly coast to coast for $50.00 roundtrip! Why on earth would anyone want to work for fair compensation.

As far as UAL or AA mechanics, we will take our skills elsewhere,if UAL or AA goes down. Many of us are leaving this god forsaken industry for good! There are tons of better paying jobs or careers in other industries for mechanics out there. There is life after the airline industry.
Um, ... help me out MJK. What was that saying?

OH yea. Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out

Hey FATCAT66 :blink: , I'm just stating the facts of the matter. If you want to work for minimum wage,just so you can have worthless flight benefits,then go ahead that's your problem,not mine.
This industry used to be a career,not anymore! When WAL-MART :) starts an airline, the FAT LADY :lol: will sing for you ,but not for me! Like you said I'll be long gone! :up:

I sense alot of hostility radiating from Princess.
Princess you are probably right, but you better beat the rush and get your resume out right away.
Buh-bye

goingboeing said:
Today as a result of United's [UAL] rejection of government backed financing ALL AA employees better be looking over your shoulder.
The Business Week article makes it clear that UAL will be coming after the employees pension funds and this will PUT TREMENDOUS PRESSURE ON THE OTHER MAJOR CARRIERS to do the same.

AMR,DAL,and CAL were mentioned in this article as "majors" that will have to make more wage and benefit cuts to survive.

Looks like I better get my resume up to date because if more cuts come there will not be any reason to stay at AA,and especially if major cuts are implemented in the present defined benefit pension plan.

Watch UAL very close because the pressure will also be on AA and right now UAL will be driving the bus for wage and benefit standards throughout the airline business.
Well, that's it! The reporter from Business week says it so there goes the industry. Its written not by an industry executive, insider or wallstreet analyst. A reporter likely with no inside information or knowledge of the industry other than what they read from colleagues who do nothing more than speculate and compare JB to UAL. That not even apples and oranges its apples vs. a steak. I am tired of reading, and hearing as well, as the people who feel the need to rush this drama to the board, as if God himself has just scribed this out on a tablet and they are bringing down from the mountain for all airline people to read. The death of majors have been predicted since the first low cost carriers came to be. No one is saying that there are not rough times out there now an ahead. Like so many other employees are saying " not one more dollar to fund unjustifiably low fares and high executive pay, perks and bonuses. Not another dollar to fund management who contiues to ignore the obvious waste and under utilizes their corporate and people assests. No one is taking another dollar from me. Not until they attack the waste and begin to fully utilize the resource at there finger tips

Yea no more pensions for UAL. they already had to back off there threat against the retirees. Even if it was true. If this government allows one more company to forgo its duty to its employees and force my tax dollars to bailout another failed corporate giant I and so many other should and will be pissed. Let congress fund the bailout with there over paid selves. After all they allowed and changed laws to allow companys to for go funding there pension obligations. That with the executives who played pocker with our pensions and future. Is it not interesting yet never reported that SR executive penion, benefits or health care are ever touched. Always money to fund there own in spite of there own failures.

UAL like AMR have so much waste built in to there system. Instead of attacking that giant hurdle they go for the easy lets get the little guy. We play it up in the media how over paid and under work these fat cat union people are. How they need relief from there awful lazy employees who are demanding a livable wage.

Princess, correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll admit I don't follow the trials and tribulations of United Airlines that closely, but don't they already have their money/financing? Weren't they just looking for the government to guarantee what they already have?
71_71.gif

Hey Princess,

IAM/AMFA/I don't give a #### what the letters were. My point is, the Union wanted bankruptcy, now the Union is having to deal with the consequence. Many at AA thought that they would be better off in bankruptcy, giving the company and its new financiers carte blanche to demand lower wages, reduced (eliminated) pensions, leaner health care, and more onerous work-rules from its labor. AA and its Unions steered clear of that (albeit barely), while UA and its Unions are now knee-deep in this ####, thanks to the one Union that chose to stiff-arm the company. They made their bed, now they're lying in it. Sympathy not.

LaBradford22 said:
Hey Princess,

IAM/AMFA/I don't give a #### what the letters were. My point is, the Union wanted bankruptcy, now the Union is having to deal with the consequence. Many at AA thought that they would be better off in bankruptcy, giving the company and its new financiers carte blanche to demand lower wages, reduced (eliminated) pensions, leaner health care, and more onerous work-rules from its labor. AA and its Unions steered clear of that (albeit barely), while UA and its Unions are now knee-deep in this ####, thanks to the one Union that chose to stiff-arm the company. They made their bed, now they're lying in it. Sympathy not.
Creditors can demand all they want, there is still a negotaiting process. Unions can easily show far more waste in the operation that needs attending before extorting the from the employees who hard work and sweat built this place. At AMR due to time constraints, by a CEO who waited till the last second to go to the workers for help. AA employees got hosed. Flight attendats would have been screwed either way with JW Titanic at the helm.

FA Mikey said:
At AMR due to time constraints, by a CEO who waited till the last second to go to the workers for help. AA employees got hosed. Flight attendats would have been screwed either way with JW Titanic at the helm.
Better get my hip boots out. Someone is piling it on thick. Do you really belief this stuff?

WingNaPrayer said:
Princess, correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll admit I don't follow the trials and tribulations of United Airlines that closely, but don't they already have their money/financing? Weren't they just looking for the government to guarantee what they already have?
71_71.gif
UA had $2Bn in debt financing lined up from CitiBank and JP Morgan, $0.4M "at risk". The remaining $1.6 Bn was conditional on getting the guarantee. Without the guarantee, they only have the $0.4M at risk, which isn't enough.