Question Bob Owens

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Bob, I am directing these questions to you as you are the only Local President with the balls to voice your opinion here..

Do you still plan to ask to be released?
Will negotiations still continue.?.(The company has stated they still want to negotiate.)
Will the negotiating committee change their current table position?

Bob, I am directing these questions to you as you are the only Local President with the balls to voice your opinion here..

Will negotiations still continue.?.(The company has stated they still want to negotiate.)
<_< ------- Hopeful, I'll let Bob answer your questions, but release now is out of the question. It's a whole new ball game! You don't have a contract now. The bankruptcy judge is your CEO.------- Hold on! It's going to be one hell of a ride!!!--------- From someone who's been there!!! Good luck to all!!!------- The "I've got mine" boys in TUL, just got theirs!!!

<_< ------- Hopeful, I'll let Bob answer your questions, but release now is out of the question. It's a whole new ball game! You don't have a contract now. The bankruptcy judge is your CEO.------- Hold on! It's going to be one hell of a ride!!!--------- From someone who's been there!!! Good luck to all!!!------- The "I've got mine" boys in TUL, just got theirs!!!

I agree.....I asked him that because according to company communications, they still plan on negotiating as normal...

I have to say you are 100% right about OH.....But what i think is that AA will operate OH as a separate entity....get that place to where they want it and start bringing in contract work.

I agree.....I asked him that because according to company communications, they still plan on negotiating as normal...

I have to say you are 100% right about OH.....But what i think is that AA will operate OH as a separate entity....get that place to where they want it and start bringing in contract work.
They are not going to bring anymore work in you could work all the contract work you want and you would still be a liabilty according to the bean counters.

yea we ^$%^$%^ yea wheres bob know????????????

I've seen a lot of Bob bashing in this aviation forum but I support what Bob stood for. Our pay and benefits would have been pared over and over again with the aid of "good" union men order to "save the company".

Which is the better union man,

The man who sells you out again and again so the company might squeak by or
The man who defends your professions image, standards, wages and benefits even in the worst of times knowing that if he doesn't this profession becomes a mere job.

There are people who don't care whether they work on airplanes or buses. All they care about is which pays better. Aviation professionals are not wired that way.

Bob is a defender of aviation professionals. I take pride in my profession and Bob has proven he does too.

I've seen a lot of Bob bashing in this aviation forum but I support what Bob stood for. Our pay and benefits would have been pared over and over again with the aid of "good" union men order to "save the company".

Which is the better union man,

The man who sells you out again and again so the company might squeak by or
The man who defends your professions image, standards, wages and benefits even in the worst of times knowing that if he doesn't this profession becomes a mere job.

There are people who don't care whether they work on airplanes or buses. All they care about is which pays better. Aviation professionals are not wired that way.

Bob is a defender of aviation professionals. I take pride in my profession and Bob has proven he does too.

Are you serious???? A good leader is someone who looks out for the profession and the men and women who work in that profession. Wow, now there will be thousands of our people in the profession working out of their truck, making less wages with no benefits, etc. Right on, thats great for our profession. Oh by the way, a good leader also speaks in time of crisis, not hiding as we have not heard from Bob, who by the way has health insurance as his wife is a nurse. Did he look out for his members, I think not.

As much as I disagree with Bob, I don't think he falls into the "I got mine" category.

The filing was not even six hours ago -- not everyone is able to jump online the hour that something happens.

If he's still AWOL by tonight, I'd be surprised.

As much as I disagree with Bob, I don't think he falls into the "I got mine" category.

The filing was not even six hours ago -- not everyone is able to jump online the hour that something happens.

If he's still AWOL by tonight, I'd be surprised.
<_< ------ I totally agree! But " they plan on negotiating as normal"?----- That's a joke! A sick one to boot! They must feel you are all fools!!! The judge will decide what this contract will look like!

I disagree. The contract is still in force however the company will submit new terms for the CBA that are needed to make money. Looking at other airlines there are some pretty nasty consequences - pension plan changes (frozen or terminated), benefit cost increases, outsourcing, layoffs, station closures, etc... - and it will be hell. Bob said it would be okay and we can get a better deal so I am not worried.

Airframe overhaul is going to get pounded.

I disagree. The contract is still in force however the company will submit new terms for the CBA that are needed to make money. Looking at other airlines there are some pretty nasty consequences - pension plan changes (frozen or terminated), benefit cost increases, outsourcing, layoffs, station closures, etc... - and it will be hell. Bob said it would be okay and we can get a better deal so I am not worried.

Not to worry the all powerful twu is going to represent our best interest, rest assured all is well no need for change or to worry. that has been your postion, now do us all a favor and stick with it.

twu twu twu

<_< -------Oh, the day to day contract will still be in force.------ But, repeat after me! (And you think you've heard this before, it well be the term of the duration!!!) " They can do that brother!!!!" :unsure:

<_< ------ I totally agree! But " they plan on negotiating as normal"?----- That's a joke! A sick one to boot! They must feel you are all fools!!!

Bankruptcy law requires the company to attempt to negotiate the changes they want, so the statement isn't surprising. However, "normal" can carry different connotations in different contexts. In bankruptcy, the company just has the judge as a bat in one hand and a pen the union can use to sign an agreement in the other.

Also remember that in bankruptcy there are two stages of negotiations as covered in section 1113 of the bankruptcy law (a section added after Lorenzo used bankruptcy to reject employee contracts without negotiation). In the short term (weeks possibly) the judge can allow temporary changes to labor contracts as negotiations continue without abrogating the contracts completely - per section 1113(e) of the bankruptcy law. If negotiations are still unsuccessful in the longer term (3-6 months probably) the judge can abrogate the current contract and impose one per section 1113 of the bankruptcy law.

Jim

Bankruptcy law requires the company to attempt to negotiate the changes they want, so the statement isn't surprising. However, "normal" can carry different connotations in different contexts. In bankruptcy, the company just has the judge as a bat in one hand and a pen the union can use to sign an agreement in the other.

Also remember that in bankruptcy there are two stages of negotiations as covered in section 1113 of the bankruptcy law (a section added after Lorenzo used bankruptcy to reject employee contracts without negotiation). In the short term (weeks possibly) the judge can allow temporary changes to labor contracts as negotiations continue without abrogating the contracts completely - per section 1113(e) of the bankruptcy law. If negotiations are still unsuccessful in the longer term (3-6 months probably) the judge can abrogate the current contract and impose one per section 1113 of the bankruptcy law.

Jim

Very informative Jim, thanks.

Question: Can my hourly pay be cut drastically in the short (weeks) negotiations, or is that a stage two negotiation?

Latest posts

Back