Question for Garfield

nbmcg01

Veteran
Sep 6, 2004
Garfield, on Tues. we had a little snow storm in STL. (11 inches in my driveway-gone today thank goodness) A friend of mine has just transfered to ORD and is on reserve. STL airport was closed most of the day but friend was at the airport to take the 1915 flight to ORD. She called in and found out her assigned trip for today was to dh from ORD to STL to work severl legs. She called and asked if she could report in STL (due to the storm and the airport just opening) and avoid the trip up to ORD, just to dh back to STL. She was told "no". I'm curious why this wouldn't be viewed as logical and a better protection for the recovering STL operation. She did go to ORD as required, dhed back to STL, sat for 3 hours and worked her assigned trip. One of those things that make us go "hummmmmm". Thanks.

Nancy, she needs to identify herself as a commuter on her HI7. This when entered will show an entry that says something like 9999 miles to STL. When that is listed, then she can call crew schedule and ask to either waive deadhead or if to another city to deadhead from commuter base. I have never had them say no. I think it is contractual, but I am sure I will be corrected if not. :rolleyes:

No it is not when you are talking about reserves. AA doesn't want reserves sitting at home when on reserve. They want them at base. Which makes sense. Thus, they refuse to waive dhd's at the begining of reserve sequences. Even if you live in the city you are to dhd to. Sounds crAApy till you think about it from their super controlling minds. Dhd's home are at their discretion. So ask nicely. They refused to do the same when we flew the STL-LGW trips as well. I got a missed trip after going to STL the day BEFORE because ORD wasn't going to be an option with the weather. I was there before the rest of the crew would have arrived from the dhd from ord. No dice. Standby got the trip and I went home.

No it is not when you are talking about reserves. AA doesn't want reserves sitting at home when on reserve. They want them at base. Which makes sense. Thus, they refuse to waive dhd's at the begining of reserve sequences. Even if you live in the city you are to dhd to. Sounds crAApy till you think about it from their super controlling minds. Dhd's home are at their discretion. So ask nicely. They refused to do the same when we flew the STL-LGW trips as well. I got a missed trip after going to STL the day BEFORE because ORD wasn't going to be an option with the weather. I was there before the rest of the crew would have arrived from the dhd from ord. No dice. Standby got the trip and I went home.

She understood the "normal" rules for reserves but with STL in recovery and the trip already assigned, she was surprised that CS (planning) would risk her not being able to get back to STL. Already over and finished, I was just curious.

oops....did not read the reserve part. There is always a clause for reserve and when "operation requires". :p or rather "operation necessitates" which is a big umbrella for the company.

What IOR said pretty much covers it. We want RSV in base at the start of their duty day. If we start to make exceptions the number of TM’s will go up.

Having said that, the term "Operational Necessity" can fix a whole bunch of stuff. Had I received the call and was not too busy to think about it (which sometimes happens and the answer would be ‘No’) I would have checked who the senior was and pled the case to allow an origination STL. I have done it and it’s not a big deal.

BUT there are various factors that come into play. If ORD was in the hole they/I might have said no because I can RA her in ORD or make her work the ORD flt if someone bombs on that one. If STL has people, then I am more likely to say no as well since I can bust the seq, recover it in STL and use her out of ORD on something else.

The easy answer is that there is not an easy answer. I know from the stand point that she is in STL and the first working leg is STL it’s a no brainier but as you can see there are numerous other factors that come into play.

What IOR said pretty much covers it. We want RSV in base at the start of their duty day. If we start to make exceptions the number of TM’s will go up.

Having said that, the term "Operational Necessity" can fix a whole bunch of stuff. Had I received the call and was not too busy to think about it (which sometimes happens and the answer would be ‘No’) I would have checked who the senior was and pled the case to allow an origination STL. I have done it and it’s not a big deal.

BUT there are various factors that come into play. If ORD was in the hole they/I might have said no because I can RA her in ORD or make her work the ORD flt if someone bombs on that one. If STL has people, then I am more likely to say no as well since I can bust the seq, recover it in STL and use her out of ORD on something else.

The easy answer is that there is not an easy answer. I know from the stand point that she is in STL and the first working leg is STL it’s a no brainier but as you can see there are numerous other factors that come into play.
Thanks.

Quite a mess here at DFW yesterday and today. We worked in from MSY and arrived early before the rain turned to sleet and snow. We sat 1:20 waiting for a gate only to find our continuation to LGA had cancelled. Sat on a flight for DH to LGA for :45 until it too cancelled. Then a two hour wait while hotels were assigned.

An MOD told me the company grabbed 200 additional rooms over and above the normal allotment and they used every one of them. We ended up at a Radisson at Love Field. Left at 0540 for a 0655 DH to LGA, only to get a call from crew schedule we had been reassigned to work DFW-AUS-RDU-LGA.

Such is the life of a FA. This is the second time in two weeks I've failed to get home on the appointed day. Thank God for flexible baby sitters.

MK

Quite a mess here at DFW yesterday and today. We worked in from MSY and arrived early before the rain turned to sleet and snow. We sat 1:20 waiting for a gate only to find our continuation to LGA had cancelled. Sat on a flight for DH to LGA for :45 until it too cancelled. Then a two hour wait while hotels were assigned.

An MOD told me the company grabbed 200 additional rooms over and above the normal allotment and they used every one of them. We ended up at a Radisson at Love Field. Left at 0540 for a 0655 DH to LGA, only to get a call from crew schedule we had been reassigned to work DFW-AUS-RDU-LGA.

Such is the life of a FA. This is the second time in two weeks I've failed to get home on the appointed day. Thank God for flexible baby sitters.

MK
Was that person rude when they r/a you to your new flights home. or professional

maybe it was Garfield

Actually, all the RA's I did (about 16 or so) went fine. I only extended the day with no additional L/O. No that's a lie, I think I did put one person out an extra day but I am pretty sure it was a reserve. The rest were line holders. All of them accepted the RA (at least when I spoke with them). Whether they flew it or not I don't know.

Was that person rude when they r/a you to your new flights home. or professional

maybe it was Garfield
She was very professional. In fact, I had checked my HI3 and the NS for flt 700 just before leaving the hotel, at about 0530. On arrival at the gate, the agent informed us we weren't on the NS (there were 19 DH's). As I discussed this with the agent, my cell phone rang that distinctive "it's scheduling" ring, and the way she put it was "We've added some flying to your sequence."

I quickly accepted on behalf of my crew, telling the scheduler I'd get the details from the computer. I'm way beyond blaming the scheduler for my fate. I've learned at least that in 36 years. My only gripe was getting up at 0430 and schlepping out to the airport only to find we had four and a half hours till departure. I called crew tracking to change our sign-in time to 0615, and proceded to the employee cafeteria and then to mini-ops at A19 to sit it out. Then there was the :50 deicing delay at DFW, the go-around at RDU and the gate hold followed by holding pattern going into LGA as well as getting kicked around by turbulence on the east coast. Highway flooding slowed my drive home as the bottom dropped out, and I put the key in the door at 2130 to find my wife had gone to bed leaving me to put the kids to bed. Long day.

MK (BTW, I'd love to meet Garfield, and I hope he recognizes my name if he ever gets the opportunity to reassign me)

She was very professional. In fact, I had checked my HI3 and the NS for flt 700 just before leaving the hotel, at about 0530. On arrival at the gate, the agent informed us we weren't on the NS (there were 19 DH's). As I discussed this with the agent, my cell phone rang that distinctive "it's scheduling" ring, and the way she put it was "We've added some flying to your sequence."

I quickly accepted on behalf of my crew, telling the scheduler I'd get the details from the computer. I'm way beyond blaming the scheduler for my fate. I've learned at least that in 36 years. My only gripe was getting up at 0430 and schlepping out to the airport only to find we had four and a half hours till departure. I called crew tracking to change our sign-in time to 0615, and proceded to the employee cafeteria and then to mini-ops at A19 to sit it out. Then there was the :50 deicing delay at DFW, the go-around at RDU and the gate hold followed by holding pattern going into LGA as well as getting kicked around by turbulence on the east coast. Highway flooding slowed my drive home as the bottom dropped out, and I put the key in the door at 2130 to find my wife had gone to bed leaving me to put the kids to bed. Long day.

MK (BTW, I'd love to meet Garfield, and I hope he recognizes my name if he ever gets the opportunity to reassign me)

Where are you based? When you are on EPT's swing on by for the night shift. I'll give you a tour.

Where are you based? When you are on EPT's swing on by for the night shift. I'll give you a tour.
LGA. I did a tour of the SOC in training in Oct. One of the most fascinating rooms I've ever been in. They let us mill around and talk to our local schedulers, but this was mid afternoon and I don't think you were there.

MK

LGA. I did a tour of the SOC in training in Oct. One of the most fascinating rooms I've ever been in. They let us mill around and talk to our local schedulers, but this was mid afternoon and I don't think you were there.

MK

I only work LGA TDY 1 day a week.